The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:42:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: audio driver transformer  (Read 17747 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 02:42:57 PM »

Just how DO you connect coax to a dipole?

With a connector!     Geeeeeeeezzzzzeeeeeeeeee! ! ! ! ! ! !   Huh  Grin  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »

The forum header.

Technical Forum
 If you have questions, the answers are here!

Nothing about writing a handbook. We have a handbook section for longer articles, theory pieces and links to finished types of data. This forum is interactive - no one-way transmissions.

That said, I do not want to discourage questions here. Just consider consulting your handbook before posting. You'll likely be able to post more focused questions. These usually result in better answers.   Grin

The purpose of this forum isn't to teach those fundamentals.

Says who?
w1vtp

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »

Just how DO you connect coax to a dipole?

Use an iron like this. Works good on RG-58   Grin  Yeah, I know, the photo's a repeat from another post.  Couldn't pass this up

* Use this iron.jpg (206.04 KB, 1500x994 - viewed 352 times.)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »

Why not jusy buy an antenna?
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »

Good explainations. Dennis does have a point. All this is covered in the handbooks in the 50's and 60's. If you don't have one, get one (or two). If you have one, read it. These sorts of topics are covered in far more depth than we can here. Who has the time to type pages and pages of text, except for Don.

Discouraging comments as found on here is what drives noobies away to the CB pits of Eham and QRZ where they learn to do things that then get them hollered at on the air by the expert snobs on here Grin

What is really lacking on here is for those with time on their hands to add to and clean up the "Technical Info" archives.

Carl
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »

OK guys, back on topic Wink

I took a second look at the placard on the transformer, and I read it wrong. I thought it said primary impedance 10000 ohms, secondary 2500 ohms, impedance ratio 4:1.

In reality it says primary impedance 40000 ohms, secondary impedance 2500 ohms, turns ratio P:S=4:1. The math works.

NOW what do you think is the application for this transformer Huh Does anybody think I could use this to drive a pair of class B modulators??

Ron

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »

40K primary is very unusual, especially with only 20 Watts throughput.

If it were 200 Watts, I'd say it would be happy with a pair of 100TH or clones.

Got me. Huh

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »

An easy test to find out for sure what the turns ratio is is simple:

Put 120vac (or whatever amount of AC voltage you are comfortable with) on the primary, and measure what you have on the secondary. With a little division this will tell you exactly what the turns ratio is. Simple as that. Also check the taps and windings for symmetry while you are at it, this will give you an idea if you have shorted windings or turns. No special test equipment needed exvept for some clip leads and a multimeter.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 06:42:38 PM »

OK guys, back on topic Wink

In reality it says primary impedance 40000 ohms, secondary impedance 2500 ohms, turns ratio P:S=4:1. The math works.

Ron

Use it for whatever tubes will make 20W at that impedance but that means a high voltage/low current tube. What is the voltage rating on it? Is it really a general purpose audio transformer or maybe for some other application?

What happens to the power output when using 40K CT on a pair of 6L6's @360V instead of 5.6K CT? Not the usual 55W, but much less like 7 watts. 

How about a pair of 6CA7's at 800V which normally make 100W into 11K? That kind of plate voltage swing would get closer to 20W. (807's anyone?)

I'm just looking at the tube manuals and calculating the plate to plate RMS voltage, then taking that across the 'new' 40K Ohm load. Granted those tubes would handle way more current than a 40K load could draw. haha maybe 6BQ6's would be more fitting as they would take the high voltage and could supply enough current.

It sure is a puzzling transformer. Why not drag out an audio amp and experiment to see of it will do what you want!

(BTW never pay attention to what I write as I am seldom on the air.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »

(BTW never pay attention to what I write as I am seldom on the air.)

That makes two of us... Wink

Maybe try a pair of 15E triodes...mega high plate impedance.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 12:24:28 AM »

Hi Patrick,

The voltage rating is 5KW. This is a really old transformer, my guess would be 1930's or 40's at the latest.

Ron

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 07:31:19 PM »

Ron,

you could use almost any HV-rated tubes then, and a slightly higher plate voltage would make for an easier match. 20W into 40K Ohm is only 22mA and 895V RMS. With available tubes, the only real challenge is the plate voltage swing. That is why I suggested tubes that could take higher voltages like 800V+

I know I suggested tetrodes or beam tubes, but if using it for as a driver to a class-B stage then it might be a good job for some small high voltage triodes (unless a bunch of feedback is used on the tetrodes to lower the output impedance). The 15E is a beautiful tube (and a heater-hog! ).

How about Eimac 25T's or 35's? 3C24.. any smallish HV tubes. 25's and 35's show up cheap sometimes as few people want to use them.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015