The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:47:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranger Buzz  (Read 2574 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: September 12, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »

Ranger Buzz.  Does that ring a bell with anyone?  I passed a very pretty Ranger II off to my pal Gary, K6GLH, and the thing has a nasty looking waveform, noisy, buzzy.  That's in CW as heard on a monitor receiver or viewed on a scope.

I have some dim recollection of a common affliction, Ranger Buzz, but can't remember much more. I haven't done anything with Rangers in a long, long time.  This one was gathering dust.  Now, however, it's providing unexpected entertainment.

Meanwhile, Gary's Desk KW is pining for some drive.

Thanks,

Jon
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »

It could be power supply filter caps but first I would check to see if the buzz is also present with a crystal, it could be heater cathode leakage in the VFO tube.  If it has the keyer tube installed, this can also hum modulate the VFO via heater cathode leakage. 

Rodger WQ9E
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »

If this RANGER has been setting for a long time and was turned on the HV filter caps probibly did not form correctly. If you check the caps they will show a higher value than the 10 mf that it should be. The cap needs and new one in it's place.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  It turned out to be e) none of the above.  Someone who shall remain nameless was overloading the SDR he was using as a spectrum analyzer.  Again.  This person shall remain nameless.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015