The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:48:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: inverted "L"...directional?  (Read 18707 times)
KA3ZLR
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »

Build a Loop.. Roll Eyes

Jack
KA3ZLR

Horizontal and lower than 150 100 feet?
Only if your goal is to be piss weak on 160.

Hi,

That's your opinion, my goal then was to talk local within 300 mile Radius, mine produced the
results I plotted. The Little group I was in had no Problems with my signal SSB Phone, and also
it was decent 0n 80 and 40. oh well.

Jack
KA3ZLR

And another thing a Vertical loop on 40 is very efficient and directional.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »

Fred,
   If there is any interaction between my L and the Inverted V over the top, Its minimal.  I ran the V like this for a couple months before adding the L. In my eyes, all I gained was another antenna.  I have a contactor that Grounds the L out in the shack. I do not see any difference in direction with the switch grounded or open.  Good luck!

C
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »

Build a Loop.. Roll Eyes

Jack
KA3ZLR

Horizontal and lower than 150 100 feet?
Only if your goal is to be piss weak on 160.

Hi,

That's your opinion, my goal then was to talk local within 300 mile Radius, mine produced the
results I plotted. The Little group I was in had no Problems with my signal SSB Phone, and also
it was decent 0n 80 and 40. oh well.

Jack
KA3ZLR

And another thing a Vertical loop on 40 is very efficient and directional.

Jack,  sorry for being a smartass.  When I give antenna advice I assume the recipient wants the best antenna for getting out around 1000 miles within his limits of space and money based on my experience.   Loops can work well, if you have the money to get them real high up on 160 and the supports can get expensive.  If you get to do what you want to do with yours that's FB and you should go with it.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KA3ZLR
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »

Hi Rob not a Problem O.M. I wasn't questioning your suggestions no not at all, I'm Leary of
Questions on Directiveness of single wire antennas,.. and the story's are inclusive yea ya
gotta getem up High.. Smiley

Directiveness on Reception I used at one time a Directed Vertical Loop for reception werked
great man but horizontal single wires...eh...I'm not gona say no but only if the transmitted sig
is aimed directly at the wires broadside. yes there is a certain amount of gain compared to
straight on. how large well put it up and find out, there are no Exacts in antenna building till
it's in the Air O.M. we both know that. I quit sweaten Theory a long time ago.LOL

I still like the JK Phased array I like the Bazooka on the upper bands 40 - up and I like loops
I've built them all at one time or another right now all I have up is a Bazooka for 20 meter PSK
it's up 20 Ft. and I werked a guy on Galapagos Island with 1 watt on a bazooka. Smiley

I'm waiting on the leaves to fall for the big wires to go up. Smiley

73 O.M.
Jack
KA3ZLR

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »

Hey Jack
Now Receive directiveness WILL come from animals like Ewes, Flag antenna, K9AY loops, and LOOOONG beverages terminate(?) or unterminate(?)
Transmitting it is height above ground for a vertical 1/8 wavelength or more (with 65 feet vert height as a beginning) and horizontal is wire length and definitely height above ground, with 1/2 wave as a starting point. There are phased arrays for 160M, but it'll cost ya.
Anything else is a compromise and the antenna WILL work but not what you were expecting. 80M starts to be easy street and 40 and up is a piece of cake. But then you can skip over areas that you want to cover.

Fred KC4MOP
KA3ZLR
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »

I'm for that Fred, it's that time of year again Smiley

Here's a Homebrew Vertical for 160 published in June QST 2009 I like verticals  Smiley
I haven't built this one yet...you and I both know big gains are not to be found in
single wire antennas you get what ya put into them and most are just throwed up.

With all due respect. Smiley

Jack
KA3ZLR

http://www.hamuniverse.com/k6mm160metervertical.html

Here's a Good tutorial here and a 160 Wire that does werk I had one up wind tore it down. Smiley

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/160smallants.htm

Go by what is said here in this Article you can't go wrong.
KA3ZLR
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »

And another thing about loops you can put an open in them an they change their
Attributes like a 80 meter horizontal loop put an open in it at the feed point keeping
all sides equal in a complete circle an now you have a 160 meter vertical I've done it,
it werks.. :)Very well.

Jack
KA3ZLR
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 10:28:39 PM »

Gotham Vertical - See Pics

* gwyneth-paltrow-gotham-magazine-01.jpg.jpg (301.68 KB, 1222x761 - viewed 561 times.)

* Vertical Tampa Bay - Summer 2010.jpg.jpg (170.93 KB, 336x456 - viewed 589 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »

On the Vertical, there seems to be a bit of reactance between the phased array.

klc

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 06:48:51 AM »

On the Vertical, there seems to be a bit of reactance between the phased array.

klc

heheheheh also causing a vertical reaction, testing the hydraulics out.
Nice pics!!!!

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015