The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 12:55:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RME 50  (Read 5549 times)
ny1h

« on: August 15, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »

I have recently acquired an RME 50 with matching speaker, serial no. G01A.
I am having trouble finding information on this receiver.
My main question: "Were they any good and what is it worth?"
A Google search will bring up lots of pictures, but very little information.
"How many were made?"

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Bob NY1H

Life is short, Enjoy the ride.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »

Two versions. Earlier one used some loctal tubes. Other then for the plug-in narrow band FM adapter and some cosmetic changes, the circuit is the same as the RME-45B. RME-50 was only around for a year or two so I suspect they didn't make a boatload of them.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:39:52 AM »

Not bad receivers overall, reasonable quality and utility, above something like a Hallicrafters S-40 but below a Hammarlund, HRO, etc.

What it's worth is becoming more and more a case of what it means to you or how much you value it. As Pete said, it's one of their lower production sets, but not as desirable to collectors like a 75A-4, SX-88, or other receivers might bring.

Then again, none of them are as pricey as they were a few years ago either.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »

Thats kind of a stretch Todd!

Id put it above a S-40 series and well below a NC-173 or HQ-129X which was its direct competition.

Carl
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:07 AM »

Pretty much what I said, Carl. Not as good as some, but better than others. I didn't find the RME stuff too bad until the 6900 era. Can't remember the other, lesser models they offered then. 4950 maybe? Had one with a screwed up vernier, was disappointed upon opening it up at the shoddy design of the mechanism. Somewhere along the line quality took a nose dive.

I've got Chuck/KW's old RME-69 here, well-built and fun to play with. Nowhere near as hot as the pre-war Super Pros, but considering its era, not a bad performer. The 6900 was a ghost of a receiver. That heavy tuning knob was the best part of it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:57:25 AM »

I think the RME-99 was the last of the good general coverage RME receivers.  I have a couple of RME-45B receivers (the loctal version RME-50 is effectively a 45B with added NBFM) and they are OK but far from great. 

I actually like the 6900 OK, the selectivity might be considered a little tight for AM but it works well for typical conditions here in the midwest.  It also is nice on CW/SSB although if you are a big fan of S meters you had better have the angle just right to see it.  I have a 4350 with the matching CW/SSB adapter that I need to get on the bench.

I have another RME that looks like the predecessor to the RME-99, the cabinet and dial are different.

Rodger WQ9E
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »

The 69 has to be one of the ugliest radios made Huh

And its the only one that even the ads said you needed a preamp for the higher bands. Yeah sure, 4 RF stages generating noise! Anything will work if you never go above 40M Grin I dont think most on this forum realize there are higher bands  Roll Eyes

I have a 45, likely the first run as the final inspector signed it off in 11/45, DB-22A, VHF-152A and speaker all set up on display, its sure purty.

But for a GC band scanner the NC-200, NC-240D or the NC-240CS in one of the floor to ceiling racks blows it away. Even the 1939 HQ-120 and SX-24 is better.
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »

One of the ER articles noted that the NC-173, HQ-129X, and RME-45 had similar new list prices but a couple of years later there was a big spread in used resale price.  The significantly lower price for the used RME-45 would lead one to believe it didn't perform as well as its National and Hammarlund counterparts.

Attached are photos of my RME mystery receiver.  I assume it is a prototype on the way to becoming a RME-99; unlike the 99 the large band spread dial is not calibrated.  It also is in a non-standard case.  After the RME-99, band spread was mechanical instead of electronic.

* RME1.JPG (483.58 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 638 times.)

* RME inside.JPG (445.83 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 648 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015