The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:36:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggested Station Antenna Grounding/Ground Rod Configuration  (Read 3124 times)
W2XR
Contributing

« on: July 21, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »

I know this topic has been discussed here on the board previously, but I can't seem to locate the particular thread.

I will be improving the grounding rod arrangement for my station antenna system. In the current configuration, when the station is not in use, the open wire feeders are connected  by way of a large knife switch to a single 8-foot long ground rod. My plan is to increase this to three (3) 8-foot long ground rods. I can't recall the recommended spacing and arrangement of the three rods; there was a suggestion that someone had here previously, perhaps it was Frank, 'GFZ.

Can you guys offer the best/optimum arrangement for what I am looking to do?

Thanks & 73,

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »

NEC requires a spacing of 5 or 6 feet minimum don't remember the exact number. I would bury some radials myself. I have 3 60 foot radials on my tower copper service lead off an old house. They are about #2 size stranded.  My building inspector also liked the #8 I ran around the house footings before we backfilled the new place.
Bottom line is the better the ground the lower the voltage you develope during  alightning strike.
In aircraft you look at a 200KA strike and keep all connections under .0025 ohms so you never generate over 500 volts across a joint.
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

You need to connect your station ground system to your AC panel ground system.  Use #6 or larger wire.  That line should be as direct as possible, can be run inside or outside, doesn't matter.

Fred
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »

yup bond all grounds so there is limited voltage offset due to a lightning strike.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »

Ground rods have a sphere of influence equal, roughly, to their length.  For maximum effectiveness space then 2X their length, e.g. for 6' ground rods, space 'em 12' apart.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »

Thank you John, Fred, and Frank, for your input. Much appreciated!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:22:09 PM »

Id space them 1X in New England soil.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015