The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:48:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Retro 75 mounting and modification.  (Read 19371 times)
kg8lb
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »

I have been in many round tables, all over the country using my Retro-75 using a transmit power booster. The receiver had no boost, and it does pretty well. There were times though, like 3 am over the winter where signal recovery was minimal, so I had the audio gain at maximum. Switching over to my ICOM (R75), I had plenty of audio, but at poor S/N. The copy on the Retro was actually equal or better!

This is no $1000 receiver, but it is surprising to me how good it is for what it is, a transceiver kit for $69.

Jim
WD5JKO

That is very well said, Jim. The low audio on very weak signals is easily remedied by an outboard amplified speaker or just a more effificient speaker. The brass Retro in the shack is working into an old 8 inch National speaker that I believe came with an NC 46 (?). The other one in the workshop is driving an old 8 inch Utah in a PA baffle. My shack and workshop are in an insulated outbuilding but the radio provides enough audio on average stations (S9) to easily be heard outside the shack at some distance. More than enough to fill the room .
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »

I see.  I noticed that others have voiced a similar complaint.

The SA612, which is mis-identified on the schematic as 602, is spec'd as having a 17db conversion gain and capable of a -119dbm for 12db s/n/ at 45 MHz when driving the SA614 (not used here of course.)  That's approximately 0.4 microvolt sensitivity which by itself would virtually always be well below the practical noise floor on 3.5 MHz.

Thus I am thinking there needs to be more gain in the IF section.  An RF preamp will increase total system gain but at the cost of overloading the SA612 at some point, which will not be remedied by AVC control of the preamp.  I wonder why that wasn't noticed at the design stage, although I guess maybe for a simple little product I am expecting too much from it.  If you could hear as well as a $ 1000 new ham rig, maybe you would be frustrated with how few people could hear your 2 Watts?

How can one get more gain out of the IF of the Retro75.  I don't believe it's possible since the output of the SA612 goes right into the detector.

There is a 2200pF NPO (C7) on pin 7 of the SA612.  It's reactance is about 20ohms at 3.800MHz.  I wonder if changing the value so reactance is greater than 20 ohms would change the AC gain of the stage within the SA612 and increase the signal to the detector? ? ? ?

http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee133/datasheets/SA612A.pdf     See page 4 for internal SA612 schematic.
http://smallwonderlabs.com/Retro-75_Instr.pdf        See page 9 for schematic of Retro75.

I suppose you're right about people being frustrated trying to hear my 2 watts. But don't you think it would be prudent to have receive sensitivity so one could here what others are hearing so as to not interfere with the others?  I am surrounded by a couple of big guns and would hate to interfere with their communications because I could not here someone they are working.  My 2 watts would certainly cause a problem with these few big guns if they are working someone weak and I couldn't hear the weak station.

The RF preamp does cause some overload if run wide open but I have an attenuator on the front so the sensitivity can be adjusted.  It works just dandy.  Controlling the gain of the add-on preamp can be done using AVC/AGC derived from the SA612 IF.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 05:55:18 PM »

How can one get more gain out of the IF of the Retro75.  I don't believe it's possible since the output of the SA612 goes right into the detector.

Bob, there is a dual 2N4401 cascade IF amplifier between the 612 and the detector. My RCVR was somewhat mute until I peaked the resonance of the series L-C in the TR circuit (the one with a quad of 1N4148 limiting diodes at the L-C junction). Figure the resonance for the values given, and then factor in component tolerances.

Jim
WD5JKO
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »

Jim,
Are you talking about C1 and L1 at the front of the SA612?  Why wouldn't T1 compensate when peaked?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 07:40:04 PM »

Jim,
Are you talking about C1 and L1 at the front of the SA612?  Why wouldn't T1 compensate when peaked?

Bob, Yes sir I certainly am. L1-C1 are resonant by themselves, as is T1 with C2. In my Retro I bridged C1 with 5 pf holding with wooden tweezers, and the receiver level dropped a fair amount. So I removed C1 and replaced with a 68 pf, and in parallel with that I put a 0-30pf PCB trimmer cap. The peak was sharp, and independent from the T1-C2 peak.

I got the information from this web site:

http://www.qrp.pops.net/transmit.asp

Look at similar circuits to the Retro-75, and see how they dealt with the TR switch series L-C with diode limiter circuits.

Jim
WD5JKO
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 02:59:26 PM »

Jim,
I dug out an NE602 receiver I once built and amazingly it still works.  It appeared in QST as the Neophyte receiver.  I remember it having good sensitivity on 75m.  Sure enough it is more sensitive than my Retro.  So I'll give your tip on L1 and C1 a try.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »

FWIW, K1SWL is coming out with a 40 meter version of the Retro75 and coincidentally named it the Retro40.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »

The Retro40 is now available from Small Wonder Labs. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K4GHT

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »

I built the RETRO 75 kit the other day and after several minutes after completion the transceiver was on the air. The kit was a gift from a friend who also purchased the factory housing which made assembly a breeze. I am having one small problem that I have not seen mentioned on any of the discussions on any websites. I have noticed that my RETRO 75 has a high frequency ringing sound when I turn up the gain whether the antenna is connected or not. It is present at all times with or without modulation. Has anyone experiencd the problem that I am encountering? I do not hear the ringing during transmit.

73's Liz
KA3ZLR
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »

Good day,

Is the Transformer getting warm..? U-8 is a Notorious animal on these.
Oh yea I meant to say Dave won't be back till Monday they went out for the weekend

Jack
KA3ZLR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015