The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:40:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elmac AF-67 Cable  (Read 3403 times)
W1JHJ

« on: March 31, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »

Got my Elmac AF-67, PMR-8 and M1070 today.  But I need an interconnecting cable.  I see that Allied and Jameco have the Jones connectors but does anyone know of a good source for the cable and what the specs are?
How was the receiver part of the cable wired?  Was the main cable to the transmitter "Y"'ed?

Thanks,
Jon
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »

The manuals show all the details of how to wire each plug.  Note that the transmitter has multiple options depending on what features are desired.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W1JHJ

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 01:53:26 PM »

The manuals show all the details of how to wire each plug.  Note that the transmitter has multiple options depending on what features are desired.

thanks for the reply.
I do have the manuals courtesy of BAMA.  I may even the Jones plugs kicking around.  But I was wondering who had suitable cable available and what the original cable looked like with the receiver connection.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »

You will need to work out how many conductors you need.  Yes, you will need to have a Y breakout for the receiver.   With that consideration, it will probably be easier to just build it up from individual wires, then bundle it using  any of several methods including:  tieing, tie wraps, spiral wrap, loom tubing, mesh tubing, etc.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
kg8lb
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:14:35 AM »

I have an original cable on my PS-2V power supply. I will double check but as I recall the wires are all 18ga.
Not real critical however at short lengths up to 6 feet or so. I have made up many Elmac cables without a single problem. Basically you should use 18ga min for the 110VAC runs, minimum of 20ga for the HV DC runs and control relays while 16ga min  is a good bet for LV AC filaments and the ground run.  I like to use a good, fine strand grade of wire or some nice cloth covered, old buzzard repro wires. I think Radio Daze or Antique Electronic Supply still has cloth wire and it seems one of them offered ready made, cloth covered looms of multi-conductor cable.
 I often use old fashioned cable lacing material to bind the cables .  As an alternative, automotive convoluted split loom from the auto parts may be pressed into service as well. It looks a bit modern but works well.
  Please, resist soldering to the plug pins. If you canot locate a 15 pin Jones socket let me mnow, I may have one.

You can usually find lacing material as well as the Jones plugs on eBay.
W1JHJ

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »

Thanks, Gary. 
I have a friend looking in his junk box for the Jones socket and he was going to look at flea today too. 
I found that the transmitter and receiver both have some issues that need to be addressed before I put any power to them.  So I'm not in a rush.  If I get stuck, I'll let you know.
Thanks again.
Jon
kg8lb
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »

The contacts on the XTAL/VFO switch (inside the can) are prime suspects when grid drive is absent. The driver XFMR often goes open, killing the audio and giving rise to excessive modulator current . The bandswitch contacts are another "point" of attention. All that said they are actually pretty reliable old boxes.

8 conductor, old buzzard, cloth type cable here:
http://www.radiodaze.com/wire-multiconductor.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015