The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:51:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RME 4300 Info?  (Read 8505 times)
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« on: November 21, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »

I picked up an RME 4300 Receiver in relatively clean condition at the Lawrenceville GA fest on November 6th.  I did not find any info for the 4300 on BAMA, but I did find info on the 4350.  4350 has one more tube than the 4300, plus it includes a 100 kc calibrator, not included in my 4300.

Does anyone know where I might find a schematic and alignment info for the 4300?  Thanks!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »

Rick,

You might send a PM to Mark K9TR, he is a member here and I believe that he has a 4300.

I have a 4350 and 4350A and only the A variant comes with the built in calibrator.  But I don't know what the other differences are between the 00 and 50 model. 

I hope your two speed tuning dial is in good shape.

Rodger WQ9E
w8khk

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »

Thanks Rodger!

* am travelling, so I will contact Mark when I return home after the holiday.

The two speed dial is in rough shape, I hope I can service it in a similar manner to the dial on my Valiant.  Even if I cannot, I did not spend much, so it will be fun to use even if not perfect.

I am mainly interested in using it on 75 and 40, with a separate tube audio amplifier, should be easy to get it working for that duty.

"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »

Rick,

Have a safe trip.

The two speed dial on the RME units is problematic.  As I recall the instructions call for increasing the pre-load when there is slippage and by now many units suffered from dry grease and too much tension resulting in excessive wear to the shaft.  My 4350 was so bad I replaced the drive with a couple of 6 to 1 units which work but pale in comparison to a properly working RME drive.  The drive on my second one and VHF-126 converter were both in good enough condition that they were easy to clean and readjust.  I am going to pick up the next "beat to hell" Siltronix (made by Swan) CB rig I see so that I can try and transplant the nice two speed drive to my RME.

Stability is good and it will make a good AM receiver, with either the RME-4301 or a CE "signal slicer" it is also very good on SSB.

Rodger WQ9E
w8khk

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:10 PM »

I am still amazed at how well the dial on my RME 69  works, smooth as silk, no backlash, no friction, just easy to tune!  I do not expect the 4300 to be in the same ballpark, but I will  clean and lube it, and if still no good replace it with an alternative reduction drive.   Trying to set up a smaller, lighter rig to use in a camper, where boat anchors are not appropriate.  Thanks for the pointers!

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:40:45 AM »

Rick,
If you want a nice copy of the original manual, I recommend the "Manual Man" in New Jersey.  The quality of his work is top notch.
Have fun with the 4300. 
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w8khk

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »

If you want a nice copy of the original manual, I recommend the "Manual Man" in New Jersey.  The quality of his work is top notch.

Thanks Joe!  Yes, I have seen Pete's work, it is first class.  If I need the manual, I will contact him.  In the meantime, just a schematic should be sufficient.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015