The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 12:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Darwin Award  (Read 4635 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: October 24, 2010, 02:22:07 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/24/california.copper.theft/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
VE1IDX

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:13:40 PM »

Shocking story. Absolutely shocking.  Roll Eyes

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »

That was terrible. What have the children, waiting in the van for the parent/thieves to finish the job, learned about the consequences of stealing? If there were only a way to smarten people up.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »

Sometimes Karma moves quickly...

klc

What? Me worry?
K5WLF
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »

Reminds me of the time, back in the late '60s, when KCKC (1350) in San Bernardino, CA went off the air in the middle of the evening. After giving it a while to get back on the air, I called the studio and my friend Ron Christian, who was on 6 to midnight, answered the phone. I asked him why the station was off the air and he told me that a couple guys had attempted to steal the copper hardline running from the transmitter shack to the towers. While the station was on-air!

The transmitter was putting out 5 KW, and the planned caper didn't go all that well for the clueless criminals. One was killed on location and the other was severely burned. Karma can be a mean ol' gal at times. She doesn't suffer stupidity lightly.

ldb
K5WLF
SM6OID

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:41:47 AM »

Hej!

Stealing the power lines "up in the air" is "quite popular" here in Sweden also. Causing the power companies a lot of problems. Obviously the persons stealing the power lines have little knowledge of electricity or they do have very strong wish to get hurt?

What they often do (if it's a live line) is to throw steel cable (or what ever they have that will conduct electricity) up on the power lines to short them (either to gnd or between the phases). This will cause the overload relays to cut out, and they can start to do their work. BUT, what many of them obviously are not aware of that the overload relays will try to re connect the line within between ½ a minute or slightly more...
I'm sure that they will find out this the hard way... Often not being able to pass on the information....

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »

" I'm sure that they will find out this the hard way... Often not being able to pass on the information.... '

I usually get misty eyed with these happy endings.

klc

What? Me worry?
K9PNP

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:52:38 PM »

I love stupid people like that.  Job security!!!  Kinda smelly, though.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »

jump on to You Tube and type in "Darwin award" into it's search utility. You can see how stupid some people really are! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015