The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:45:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T368. Cap replacement. What type of caps should I use?  (Read 16041 times)
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »

Like I said before, when I opened the 32v up, I had hum from the first audio stage.
A simple diode and cap fixed that.

Any high impedance high gain stage will pick up hum if you don't do things to prevent it.
You could experiment with the coupling caps in an early stage to roll off the response above 60Hz.
I am not sure 60 Hz is of any use going out on the audio.

I never had a t368 so don't know what the bnc cables are doing, you can use better cable, or better grounds, but if you have a high gain stage, you might have filiment ac getting into the audio there.

A small amount of hum just sounds like a big rig, it might be interesting to keep it....

Blower noise is nasty, but a little 60Hz sounds nice...

Brett

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »

Clark,

I was on 3870 last night with the vintage SSB net which was ending. You came on frequency, and I heard audio but NO hum.  Grin

Jim
WD5JKO
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 11:38:25 AM »

SSB on 3870. How dare you Smiley 

It was humming last night.  I got ran off the band.  Its about 5 watts of hum on that carrier. I am suprized nobody has any solutions.  I guess I will try a big cap on the B+ to that first tube. Maybe that will help.

Brett what do you mean about the diode and cap?

C
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »

It was humming last night.  I got ran off the band.  Its about 5 watts of hum on that carrier. I am suprized nobody has any solutions.  I guess I will try a big cap on the B+ to that first tube. Maybe that will help.

C

5 watts of hum on a 300 watt carrier, and people are complaining?  Man, some people have SUPERB hearing!

I'd say you pretty much narrowed down the stages where the hum is coming from in your other post, where you pulled tubes and could get the hum to go away.

Check for wiring in the audio stages that goes near either the ac leads, or near a run to the filaments, since the radio has is AC powered on the fils.

Since the hum is there when you put shorting BNC's in the radio, I'd say that the first tube is where it's picking up the hum.  Can you try putting a shield in place?

Wiring is king!!!!  MAKE SURE you have the audio leads going to / from the mod / speech amp away from everything carrying AC or hw rectified DC.

Another thing you could try is balanced feed, but since it's getting in there even with the BNC's shorted, I HIGHLY doubt it would fix it.

Could be simply ground loops.  All grounds TIGHT!  I know you've fought them in auto installs, we all have.  Maybe a GOOD ground run from deck to deck inside the chassis would help out.  1 volt of difference would cause a hum, methinks.

With a shorted BNC on it still humming (to the normal level), I'd expect it to be either wiring issues or something getting inside the first stage.

The other thing you can do is after the 1st stage, build a 60 or 120 hz notch filter, depending on the frequency of the offending hum.

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »

It has an AC fil trans Right next to the tube. How stupid can an engineer get?  I mean these really must have been some retards at B and W. 

I have a Great idea. Lets put an AC filiment transformer Right next to a HIGH gain Preamp tube!

I am going to work on it some more today. I wanted it up and running for tomorrows AM transmitter Rally.  I am going to Tripple the filtering to this deck and Try a 12AU7.  Ths should lower the gain down. Maybe the hum will go away. If not, I am going to have to move this Fil trans to the Deck, Put a connector on it, Make it DC and then the trouble will go away.

C

N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 04:11:24 PM »

Yes, why operate an ssb net in the AM window??

To get rid of hum in the 32v, I just used one diode (half wave rectifier) and an electrolytic cap to filter it a bit to get rid of the hum. The value of the electrolytic cap sets the voltage, a bigger cap gives higher voltage, and I tried a few till I got 6 volts.

To get rid of the hum, you don't need pure DC, just smooth it somewhat so its not 6 volts ac...

Been running that way for 10 years....

Does the tube have a shield?

Maybe just live with the power hum, makes signals sound strong!
I need to find a way to ADD some big rig hum to my signal...

Brett

C
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »

Yes, why operate an ssb net in the AM window??

Well this is kind of a regional thing. Here in Central Texas we run AM primarily on 3880 and 3890. This includes much of Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. The W4's on AM come in strong early evening on 3885.

Below 3880 there are many regionally STRONG SSB groups, and NETS. There is the group on 3878, more on 3875, a Net on 3873, and the 3870 bunch that often play with Hi-Fi SSB using big QRO amplifiers.

I do operate both modes, but on SSB I use my Central Electronics 20A. We had two CE rigs on Wednesday's net. That to me is always a lot of fun.

Right after the net I went to 3880 and checked into the Collins CCA net running AM where the net control was Brian K0EFJ. That was a lot of fun too.

Jim
WD5JKO
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »

Yes,  and those "Hi-Fi SSB using big QRO amplifier." folks completly tear up the Western AM window at 3870 Kcs.  They will NOT stand by for an AM net.  Seem very thick headed about it.  What are they running  7-10 KW??
 OOPPSSSSS  too much attitude !     Vic
Gito
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 08:13:35 PM »

Hi

Clark why don't You monitor the output of the first speech amplifier with a Scope,if I'm not wrong the gain control is after the first speech amplifier,
so the speech amplifier is always "open" and amplified all the noise that "injected" to it with it's full gain .
If this speech amplifier amplified the hum that induced to it with it full  gain, than maybe there' a"big" AC current flowing in this tube modulating it B+,So it can also modulate the B+ of the speech amplifier as a whole (LV voltage)
I get the conclusion because You wrote with the gain is off (mic gain doesn,t effect hum) and the gain control is after the first speech amplifier.

So the hum is always there because the B+ is "modulated" ,causing the gain control has no effect on the hum.

Gito

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »

This radio is now fixed. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Robert W0VMC told me how to fix it in 2 minutes on the phone.  I changed the 8UF cap to a 47 and then swapped the AT7 for a AU7.  This lower gain tube does not pick up the AC hum.  I actualy gained audio quality doing this. I can Drive the Rig a bit harder and its not so touchy. The HUM is 100% GONE.  I also changed the Screen cap from a 2200 to a 1000 and gained even more audio bandwidth. I have not measured it yet, But it sure sounds better on the RXer.

Just in time for the AM rally tomorrow!

Clark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015