The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:25:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reciever freq range of a FT-101 - what to what? anyone know?  (Read 4697 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »

has anyone ever swept a ft 101 with the am filter and the HLR audio board mods? I am debating putting in a hi level audio out into a 70's era Fisher receiver aux input that also happens to have a handy 'record out' jack on the front panel. The speakers that go with that receiver are Jensens I got 15++ years ago, 3 way with 15" woofs. Wondering if I would hear bass below 120hz. I've been using these with my computer for music, but they take up a lot of space. They would fit good under the benches out there. and yes, I know the 6kc wide filter will limit my high end. I want to know about the lows. This would free up another smaller 3 way speaker I've been using with the ft 101 and JN's 75A2, which I understand has crappy stock audio as is.

ebay is also full of vintage 8", 10", 12" full range speakers, EV, Jensen,etc. that dont seem to be good enough for the audio phools at prices less than 10~15 bucks + shipping, I could wall mount them old buzzard style.

Opinions?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:12:49 AM »

Never swept it but with the 6 kHz filter, you aren't going to get much above 3 kHz of audio. I ran the line out to an external amp on mine and it sounded pretty good - way better than the internal speaker. The most noticeable difference is on the low end.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:20:06 AM »

yeah, i guess I wanna know what the bottom end limit is. These Jensens will go to 30 hz, but if the audio board will only go down to 100~150 or so, I'd rather keep them for music usage in the computer room and get some full range 12" speakers offa ebay. volume is no problem - just the board in the radio gives me all I need. I never need to turn it past 9 o clock or so.

what's the line out, the Phone Patch jack? I thought I would have to add one.  Huh
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »

I noticed with my FT-101, it sounds like the audio in the front microphone connector is muffled, but if I put the audio through the patch in connector on the rear, it soundsbetter. Does that connector bypass the filter?
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:21:22 AM »

I gotta look at the schizmatic and find out. that would be supa bad if it did. Maybe it just bypasses some of the limiting junk that reworking the audio board takes care of.

Wish they would change that to a 8 KC filter. That would be darn near perfect.  Cool
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »

I passed some audio through hat back connector and it came out as good as what went in. When I speak in the mic, it sounds like I'm talking into a pillow. And I know it isn't the mic because I tryed it on a different radio and it worked fine.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »

there's audio mods one has to do to get the mic input to sound FB, and you have to have the am filter installed or it sounds like mush.

maybe if 1VD has access to a ft 101 with am filter he could sweep the thing on both jacks since he's been doing that sorta work anyways lately.
I would not mind seeing the other numbers when the much superior MFE 201 FETS are subbed for the crap 3SK40's in the front end and mixer.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

Derb, I used the external speaker jack, IIRC. There was definitely response below 100 Hz.

The mic jack and the phone patch jack are in parallel. The audio should sound the same using either input.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »

ok 10-4. I never did get around to looking at it obviously. cant even reach the manual. everything is still buried behind her beadmaking stuff, tables, chairs, kiln, etc.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015