The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 05:21:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Sig Generator  (Read 3129 times)
KC4VWU

« on: November 16, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »

Could anyone recommend a good signal generator that would be used for the simplest of projects to troubleshooting more complex transceivers? I have several of the older inexpensive types, but I'm tired of testing and repairing the test equipment before I can get to the real work. I would be happy with an older analog unit, but one that is solid and dependable. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Phil KC4VWU
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:08:04 PM »

talk to Garcia about a Hp 8640 or one of its variants ...73 ...JOhn

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:24:52 PM »

Yup, Robert Garcia KD4JRT is a great guy.  Has lots of HP and Tektronix stuff, always in good condx and accurately calibrated.  Got a couple scopes from him, and my family collectively has purchased three 8640Bs and they are perfect.  Give him a call.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KC4VWU

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »

Thanks for the info. I can't believe I didn't think of Bob. I first met him at the Elkin hamfest back in 1990 here in N.C. and have seen him at others since then. I've bought several scopes from him also. He is a great person to talk with and super nice guy. Can you tell me how to get in touch with him? I'm sure he will probably be at the Charlotte fest next year, but I can't wait that long.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »

Thanks for the info. I can't believe I didn't think of Bob. I first met him at the Elkin hamfest back in 1990 here in N.C. and have seen him at others since then. I've bought several scopes from him also. He is a great person to talk with and super nice guy. Can you tell me how to get in touch with him? I'm sure he will probably be at the Charlotte fest next year, but I can't wait that long.

Bob is located at 845 Fairfield Dr Marietta Ga 30068-2619

770-977-5701 

esaronel AT bellsouth DOT net.

Try this link:
http://www.mgs4u.com/manuals.htm

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »

ALthough the 8640B is the finest sig gen ever in terms of phase noise, sometimes it's nice to have a keyboard entry synthesized genny around.  The HP 8656A is quite nice and I've gotten 'em for as little as $50 needing a slight PS repair.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015