The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:53:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K9AY control Box pics  (Read 11354 times)
W1IA

« on: November 29, 2007, 10:27:59 PM »

Just finished the control box. Still waiting for the core to wrap the transformer.

Brent W1IA

* hp cartridge 005.jpg (255.91 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 662 times.)

* hp cartridge 002.jpg (269.47 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 733 times.)

* hp cartridge 003.jpg (310.19 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 703 times.)

Run What Ya Brung!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:31:49 PM »

Nice. You'll like it. You can go stereo/diversity on RX with your 2 element array. You'll be able to hear a gnat fart on the moon!
W1IA

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »

Nice. You'll like it. You can go stereo/diversity on RX with your 2 element array. You'll be able to hear a gnat fart on the moon!

How do you manage diversity receive Steve?

B

Run What Ya Brung!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:19:15 PM »

Two receivers with their audio outputs to a mixer. One goes to the right channel and the other to the left channel. It would be better if the two receivers ran off the same LO or were otherwise phase-locked.
W1IA

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:27:35 PM »

Two receivers with their audio outputs to a mixer. One goes to the right channel and the other to the left channel. It would be better if the two receivers ran off the same LO or were otherwise phase-locked.

Cool..only other receiver I could use is the old nc-300...perhaps I can give it a try. I got rid of the Bheringer mixer cause it sucked....it colorized the audio. I got to find another without the dam equalizer in it. Even though you set it for flat response is stilled screwed up the flat response....pos..arrgh!

B

Run What Ya Brung!
ab3al
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 11:33:37 PM »

look at mackie and yamaha you can cut the eq out totally.. dont buy a new mackie.. Ive done 2 pro sound installs in a church and a club and the truckers get into them with only 20 ft mic cords on the bal input.. they suck.. yamaha is still decent
wb2fof

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 07:10:50 AM »

Brentina,

Where did you get that cabinet ? That "rug merchant" team at Deerfield ?

FOF

Bob
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 08:22:14 AM »

Diversity a pair of RA6830s , a Cubic R3030. The agc of two receivers is interconnected so audio comes from the rx with the strongest signal.
I've never set up the 6830 for diversity but all the agc connections come out the back. gfz
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 10:11:07 AM »

Steve,
Racal has a set up to run up to 5 receivers off a master synthesizer and also a master second LO. One of my Racals has all the LOs come out the back then jumper back in so you can run local or remote oscillators. This is in addition to being able to run an external reference or internal as a master with output to drive other receivers.
I worked on a Cubic once that did the same thing. Two receivers with stereo headphones and let the brain sort it out would also work.
The cool thing about the Cubic 3030 series is both receivers drive stereo headphones so all you need is 2 antennas into the two channels.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 10:53:07 AM »

One of these days, I'm going to try to tie my two FT-102 together with a common LO. IIRC, Yaseu made an external synthesized VFO for the 102. I should be able to use one of these to drive BOTH 102s.

Brent, you probably don't even need a mixer. Just take the speaker leads from each receiver tot a pair of 8 Ohm pads which, in turn, are connected to a properly wired TRS phono jack. Simple, cheap, no electronics to have RFI problems an no coloration of the audio.

Steve,
Racal has a set up to run up to 5 receivers off a master synthesizer and also a master second LO. One of my Racals has all the LOs come out the back then jumper back in so you can run local or remote oscillators. This is in addition to being able to run an external reference or internal as a master with output to drive other receivers.
I worked on a Cubic once that did the same thing. Two receivers with stereo headphones and let the brain sort it out would also work.
The cool thing about the Cubic 3030 series is both receivers drive stereo headphones so all you need is 2 antennas into the two channels.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 12:16:31 PM »

To make it automatic you would have to monitor both AGC loops and  the one with the stronger signal would produce audio to a speaker.
A simple comparator with some time constant would select between A or B audio.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »

Nice signal last night, Brent, about S-8 into my South East facing phased dipoles here in Monterey.   I could not hear Bryan (?) at all.  Zip.   I called a couple of times, I guess I was too light at your end.  Put up that K9AY loop so you can hear me.

Jon
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »

For full up diversity. What I'm doing is letting my brain do the "diversity" by running one receiver to the left headphone and the other to the right headphone. The "stereo" effect is quite interesting and does improve readibility.

To make it automatic you would have to monitor both AGC loops and  the one with the stronger signal would produce audio to a speaker.
A simple comparator with some time constant would select between A or B audio.
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:40:37 AM »

Brent,

I built the same loop and it does show some nice nulls. I use it mostly to reduce noise as opposed to strong signals. One problem I have with it is hum modulation when using the null direction that uses AC voltage on the control line. I'm using the signal coax as the control line. Don't notice it much on SSB but very apparent on AM signals. If you run a separate control cable you should be ok.

Steve
WA2TTP
W1IA

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »

Brent,

I built the same loop and it does show some nice nulls. I use it mostly to reduce noise as opposed to strong signals. One problem I have with it is hum modulation when using the null direction that uses AC voltage on the control line. I'm using the signal coax as the control line. Don't notice it much on SSB but very apparent on AM signals. If you run a separate control cable you should be ok.

Steve
WA2TTP
Yup..I ran 4 line control cable 2 for the relay diode matrix and 2 for the vactrol. Turns out the damn relays are junk. I was testing it last night and found I only had one direction..ArrgHH!

I gotta go out in the cold retreive the box and throw a couple of good relays in it. It was sweet in the NW direction..HA!

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
W1IA

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 04:01:38 AM »

Nice signal last night, Brent, about S-8 into my South East facing phased dipoles here in Monterey.   I could not hear Bryan (?) at all.  Zip.   I called a couple of times, I guess I was too light at your end.  Put up that K9AY loop so you can hear me.

Jon

Jon..they are up and working, I am looking forward to working you. I had a brief chat with Bill in Washaugal, WA this morning. What a difference with the loops. I should be able to work you no problem. Looking forward to good winter condx OM.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015