The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: moveon.ham  (Read 7006 times)
WA1HZK

« on: September 13, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »

Subject: Important F.C.C. Notice

Dateline, Washington, DC

The FCC today took what they described as an important new step to reduce QRM on amateur frequencies by setting standards for voice speeds. The docket #200-4U will become official in the Part 97 amateur regulations effective 1 April 2008.

Citing frequent complaints about "long, boring conversations" on the ham bands, especially 75 meters, the Commission moved to impose a new standard on voice operations requiring all conversations to be at a speed of "at least 200 spoken words-per-minute".
The Commission in its ruling was especially critical of what they called "long winded, often endless conversations by old men talking about their prostate problems and other needs to get up and go to the bathroom several times during the night".
FCC staffers say they have personally heard conversations about nothing that went for hours and tied up frequencies that could be used by faster talkers.

Official Observer stations have received instructions to listen to suspect conversations and count the number of words-per-minute spoken. Those QSOs which fail to meet the minimum speed requirements will be noted and the operators involved will receive Official Observer Advisory Notices encouraging them to follow the rules or risk receiving notice of apparent violation citations from the FCC.
Some hams in southern states complained the new regulation will impose a burden on them because they naturally talk more slowly than those up north. They are suggesting that frequencies be set aside for slow speed discussions concerning favorite country music artists (particularly Don Williams), NASCAR, huntin' and feeshin' (particularly bass and brim). FCC says it may consider that in future rulemaking.
In a separate press release, the American Radio Relay League said they are also concerned about two-meter operation where little is discussed except "full quieting and items to be picked up on the way home". The League said that sort of thing is boring and is usually spoken very slowly as well, far below the 200 words-per-minute minimum. The League suggested conversations on how to help raise more money for League activities would be especially welcomed and will be encouraged. Future issues of QST will contain special pull-out sections containing recommended topics for on-air discussion to brighten up QSOs.

Smiley

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »

LOL!!! 

Ellen - AF9J
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:13:43 PM »

So if you have 0 wpm ie. not getting on the air at all, I wonder if that means getting on the air to keep your license?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1MVP
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »

So if you have 0 wpm ie. not getting on the air at all, I wonder if that means getting on the air to keep your license?

Nope,--there WAS a time when you had to show a certain amount of "on the air time" when renewing
your license, which had to be verified by one`s log.(that`s now history)

I can remember being very "meticulous" about log requirements back years ago, on both phone and cw.
but I dont lose sleep anymore on that "old requirement",-- part of making everything "easier" to get on
and keep one`s license.

The rule to maintain a log went "out the door" a while back, --who keeps a log anymore?
The only time I keep a log is on CW,--as far as phone,--its "hit and miss" for me.

73, K1MVP   Smiley

P.S,--I think there is even a two year grace period to get one`s license back after it has expired,
        The FCC has never made it easier to renew and/or keep one`s ticket,-- they will probably
         even start counting time spent on the web,(in the near future) as long as it pertains to ham radio.
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:51:13 AM »

Great post Keith!
I can't recall where I saw it, but I did recently come across an article about how to have "interesting QSOs". I believe it was an older QST, but in any case, it was essentially a Dale Carnegie lesson in the art of civil discourse.

In reply to Rene's observation, I still keep a log and a card file, and enjoy it very much.

I use the ARRL's standard log books, but don't care much for the format, not much room for notes.
Is there anyone else at this point that still publishes amateur radio logbooks?
In any case, I find that both speaking the call and then writing down both the call and the person's name and QTH serves to help me remember them during the next QSO.

The card file is a similar thing, and a habit which I picked up from Herb K2VH. I reserve card file use for those whom I intend to speak with again. I generally don't use it for DX or those requesting "radio checks". Instead I use it to record info such as what rig the other guy/gal is running, specific details of the rig "pair of 833s modulating a pair of 833s", hometown, family info, hobbies, interests, ARRL or AWA membership, and other things things that help with the art of conversation.

The card file thing is relatively new to me, started it perhaps two or three years ago, but it is something that I really enjoy doing now. I find it akin to recording a part of radio history. Some years back, perhaps in the 1950/60s, Bud, the company which makes radio chassis and enclosures, made a series of 3"x5" index cards which fit inside a nice metal box. I was fortunate to find one of these at an estate sale, and that started the process. As most of the cards were filled in, I had another batch printed up courtesy of "UJR Radio". By the way, if you would like some cards for your own card file, I have many left. (Costs as much to print 1000 as it does 100.)

73 Bruce W1UJR

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 06:55:35 AM »

"The D104's crystals can be permanently damaged by short bursty sound pressure levels. That's is why the former CB models are less desirable, while K4KYV Don's Rochelle salt  crystals would be very well conditioned, and thus making his D-104's sound quality superior"  

D104 Expert

"I have used one for several decades, but only the original version feeding the grid of a tube directly, without the "power mic" amplifier add-on."  Don

Now that is a long transmission!

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
AF9J
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »

The rule to maintain a log went "out the door" a while back, --who keeps a log anymore?
The only time I keep a log is on CW,--as far as phone,--its "hit and miss" for me.

73, K1MVP   Smiley

P.S,--I think there is even a two year grace period to get one`s license back after it has expired,
        The FCC has never made it easier to renew and/or keep one`s ticket,-- they will probably
         even start counting time spent on the web,(in the near future) as long as it pertains to ham radio.

Yes Rene, there is a 2 year grace period to renew.  The only stipulation, is that you can't operate until you receive your renewed license.

BTW, Rene, the SX-96 you sold me is doing the business (I have it warming up as I write this).  Once again, thanks for selling it to me.

Ellen - AF9J
K1MVP
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »

73, K1MVP   Smiley

Yes Rene, there is a 2 year grace period to renew.  The only stipulation, is that you can't operate until you receive your renewed license.

BTW, Rene, the SX-96 you sold me is doing the business (I have it warming up as I write this).  Once again, thanks for selling it to me.

Ellen - AF9J

Hi Ellen,
Hey am glad you are enjoying it and getting some good use out of it.--as I mentioned to you before
it was a good receiver for me,--but I have others that "do the job" also.

I have just recently come across a couple of BC-348`s, which need a bit of "work",--one has really
been "heavily' modified, and the other is pretty much "stock",--the guy started to modify it, but
backed off, and I have restored it back to its original condition.(should make a real nice receiver)

As far as the first one(that was hacked into)--I may just keep it as a parts radio.
So these two receivers, plus a couple of homebrew rigs,I am building at the same time,-- has
kept me busy, not to mention "real world" duties and work.

73`s, Rene, K1MVP

AF9J
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 10:45:21 PM »

Have fun Rene. Smiley

Ellen - AF9J
Waiting for 3885 to clear (I NEED to get off of that freq.!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015