The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:31:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BC-312-D in action  (Read 2940 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: June 04, 2023, 11:33:21 AM »

Click on the pic to get the high-res one.

https://www.shorpy.com/node/27113

--- Post No Bills ---
KA3EKH

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »

That’s a SCR-245 radio set, it consists of a BC-312 receiver and a BC-223 transmitter that developed a whopping ten watts on a good day maybe half that on AM and was used with a fifteen-foot vertical antenna. That set came out just before WW2 and was replaced by more modern FM sets like the SCR-508/510 being AM and low power was not cutting it for short range Armor or Recon.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 12:24:23 AM »

The photographer's name in the  photo info on Shorpy caught my eye - Jack Delano.  He has a large number of images on Shorpy.  In the 1940-1941 time frame he worked for the federal government's Farm & Home Administration as a photographer tasked with photo documentation of farm and small-town life in the  USA.  He passed through this area of New London County, CT and nearby Rhode Island in the fall of 1940.  I came across a color photo of his taken on a cold November afternoon here at Stonington Point showing some boys hanging around a small bonfire they had made, and a view of the eastern side of the Borough of Stonington.  I often go down to Stonington Point to do some mobile DXing.  Was down there one November afternoon a few years ago which happened to have a very similar cloud pattern in the sky as in his 1940 photo and recreated his photo from the same spot he took his picture from.  Not a lot of difference in the appearance of the houses or the Point over all the years!  The bonfire boys were nowhere to be found though. I'll attach image for the 1940 and the recent pix to this post.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015