The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:40:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenstone Vacuum Relay  (Read 1183 times)
KD1SH

« on: September 24, 2022, 08:55:55 AM »

Ebay item 391918860078. Anyone have any experience with these? The description says "The relay will easily switch 5000 watts or more for an HF linear amplifier."

"Switch" 5000 watts or more - as in "hot" switching - seems doubtful, but with proper sequencing it sounds realistic. Decent price if it's really capable of that.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:44:05 AM »

I remember reading sometime ago on one of the AMPS forums that Kilovac, who was the 'overseas alternative' to Gigavac went out of business. Maybe it has been resurrected as Greenstone. I think Greenstone makes tubes as well. Being that Henry Radio is selling them on eBay, I would expect them to be fairly reliable.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 11:55:55 AM »

Greenstone was one of the first Chinesium producers of vacuum stuff:  Relays, tubes, etc.

I was buying Greenstone direct back in the early 2000s and even a few things in the late 90s.

I have not purchased from them in a while because they don't sell direct anymore.  And when they started having the mark ups, weren't that much cheaper than Eimac....  I'm sure this might have changed with the prices Eimac are selling for now.

Kilovac was great.  So was Gigavac.  Gigavac you could tell them you where a ham and they had 'alternate' pricing.  Making them pretty cheap.

To me, from what I've heard from other builders lately, Greenstone might be a crapshoot.  I was switching YC156 based amplifiers with (a pair) of them in 2000.  Today, I'd find surplus.

Russian relays are also really good.  Way better than the spec's show.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015