The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:02:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare Occurance . FOUR KW-1s For Sale at One Time  (Read 3684 times)
W1RC
Contributing

« on: December 06, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »

Check the screen shot from the AAR Auctions online bidding.  Four of them!  When the dust settled the four transmitters went for around $12K!

Anyone on here get one?

MisterMike

* 8C3E56FB-A258-4743-939A-EDBB4BAD7BAB.jpeg (391.44 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 343 times.)

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 12:00:16 AM »

Wow... amazing.

Those four KW-1s may have fetched $100K at the peak a decade or so ago.  That's like a stock dropping from 100 to 12.    I'll bet the guys who unloaded back then are feeling pretty smug.

It appears that all old AM ham gear, once very sought after, has taken a big hit. It's probably a lot to do with the aging ham population not able to carry this stuff anymore. Plus moving to smaller QTHs, etc. The Covid flea mkt cancellations didn't help either. Perfect storm.

I remember when Valiants and Rangers went for $50 to $100 at Deerfield  back in 1979.   Many have come back down to those prices.  The nicely restored ones will probably hold their value.

As far as I'm concerned, I enjoy looking at my rigs every day.  I plan to keep them as long as I can...  until nobody wants them, I give them away or they hit the landfill.   Gotta get on the air more.

T  

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 11:21:13 AM »

Knowing how rare they were back in the early 2000's I was amazed to see some of these in Harpers Ferry on a visit. They were owned by the same gentleman of this estate and were stacked together waiting for restoration.
There was crazy money changing hands on Ebay and if I remember right some of these went overseas during that "Gotta Have It" moment that was going on.
This proves that loading up your garage and waiting for the right moment can pay off Roll Eyes

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 04:39:37 PM »

There were 5... one was missing front panels, and maybe more.

The highest price of the auction was for a little Collins 4R transmitter, in mint condition,
  Went for only $4,700!!

Can anyone explain that? I have no clue.

* COLLINS 4R TRANSMITTER.jpg (60.49 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 271 times.)

* COLLINS 4R REAR.jpg (83.86 KB, 1000x667 - viewed 290 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KA3EKH

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 09:25:20 PM »

It’s a Collins, what else do I have to say, just like a Corvette people tend to hold it in high regard warranted or not. Some collector is going to hold that out as an example of the earliest part of there collection and that alone can drive the value.

Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 06:23:58 AM »

There were 5... one was missing front panels, and maybe more.

The highest price of the auction was for a little Collins 4R transmitter, in mint condition,
  Went for only $4,700!!

Can anyone explain that? I have no clue.

That's easy to explain: 1 - The buyer wanted it. 2 - The buyer had $4,700. 3 - The buyer didn't want to wait 10 years or more to find another one in that condition. A win for both parties involved in the transaction.

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015