The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:48:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRO-60 Coil Pack Alignment & Down-Dial Sensitivity Loss  (Read 1809 times)
KW4H

« on: September 10, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »

I’ve been cleaning and aligning the coil packs for my HRO-60 and have run into a curious anomaly:  in general coverage, the sensitivity drops significantly at the lower end of the tuning range – for example, a whopping difference between S9 at 14.400, and S2 at 7.0.  You can hear the background noise begin to drop like a rock about halfway down the dial – and adjusting the ant tune doesn’t provide enough compensation.  This is happening on two coil packs (haven’t aligned the other two yet, they're still being examined and cleaned up).  I’m assuming it might not be the coil packs but something in the 1st or 2nd RF amplifier sections surrounding T-1 and T-2.  I’ve stopped what I’m doing to consider this and find a solution.

FYI -- I’ve found, in the coil pack alignment process, that adjusting the inductors for peak signal at the low end of the tuning range produces little to no response.  Any difference in signal level is vague.  If this behavior is abnormal, it might be an additional clue that something around those coil packs is affecting performance.

Appreciate any/all thoughts and advice.

73 - Steve, KW4H
KW4H

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »

So this posting doesn't hang out there with no further information -- the issue appears to have been resolved, and was caused by two factors.  One was a rather significant impedance mismatch at the antenna input, the other was that the prongs connecting to the coil packs needed additional cleaning.  The latter seems to have resolved the matter more than the former. 
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 06:33:06 PM »

Steve, thanks for posting the followup with the resolution.  Too many folks that come in and ask for help get advice and leave things hanging.  Posting the resolution of the problem will undoubtedly help someone out in the future. 

Sorry you didn't get an answer.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015