The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:08:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for the sysop  (Read 20938 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: April 29, 2021, 07:56:37 AM »

Many of the links in the “On line calculator” section of this web site no longer work. You might want to delete those that are gone. Perhaps we can all contribute some new ones?

Also looks like the Photo Gallery has some problems
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 03:15:54 PM »

same with AM Audio Vault.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 03:29:13 PM »

And the calendar does not work-  try it, you will see:

An error has occurred!
Invalid year value.

It used to work years ago, but now its only value is to see the events or birthdays  in the upcoming week.

This probably just needs a simple tweak, but carefully written code should automatically adjust as each new year unfolds.....

How about all the buttons that used to require Adobe Flash?

I also question the validity of most of the stats.
With 13.67 registrations per day, we only have 2696 members?  Maybe they are expiring at the same rate new ones are joining?
Looking at the number of new members each month, we would have this many total members in five or six months.

Stats for Top Topics and Top Topic Starters seem rather stale in content as well.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 01:55:35 PM »

I suspect that this venerable old girl - the site - is limping along.

Recalling some years back, the software is essentially ancient and not supported.
So, afaik, there are unlikely to be updates.
The PROBLEM is that the database for these forums appear to all be proprietary to
the software running the server! Which means that "porting" to newer software is
essentially impossible.

Of course, I am NOT qualified to know ANYTHING first hand about this software or
any of the OTHER "forum" type software.

IF WE HAVE MEMBERS WHO ARE EXPERT AT THIS - THEN IT WOULD BE GOOD
IF THEY PERHAPS VOLUNTEERED TO "PORT" US TO A NEW SOFTWARE!!

Just an idea...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KA2PTE
KA2PTE

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 02:28:56 PM »

I'm seeing issues with PM's. I have reported it, but so far no answer.

Also some links in the (10) blue/gray buttons appearing below the search box are broken.

Perhaps making a list of the issues users find in this thread is a good place marker.

==================
EF Johnson RF Tube Linears
==================
https://groups.io/g/johnson-tube-linears
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 03:41:30 PM »

I'm seeing issues with PM's. I have reported it, but so far no answer.

Also some links in the (10) blue/gray buttons appearing below the search box are broken.

Perhaps making a list of the issues users find in this thread is a good place marker.

What's the issue with PM's?
With the 10 boxes, only CALENDAR doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure why we even need this. Windows shows me date and time.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »

snip........ only CALENDAR doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure why we even need this. Windows shows me date and time.

Just under Recent Posts, the Upcoming Calendar lists events, holidays, birthdays of members, but only for the current week.  The calendar function used to make the entire year's information available.  Windows calendar knows nothing about the AMfone membership. 

Perhaps the code does not believe we would ever make it to 2021, and the range-check editing needs to be updated.  A few years back it worked as designed.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KA2PTE
KA2PTE

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 04:01:11 PM »

No answers to the ones I have sent out, and have not got replies back. I believe one went to you the other day.

Oh and those blue / grey buttons apparently are FLASH generated.

[/quote]

[/quote]

==================
==================
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 04:33:05 PM »

No answers to the ones I have sent out, and have not got replies back. I believe one went to you the other day.

Oh and those blue / grey buttons apparently are FLASH generated.

I got yours. I had no response. Haven't diddled with the Thunderbolt since the 90's. Probably going to find it a new home.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 04:42:59 PM »

snip........ only CALENDAR doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure why we even need this. Windows shows me date and time.

Just under Recent Posts, the Upcoming Calendar lists events, holidays, birthdays of members, but only for the current week.  The calendar function used to make the entire year's information available.  Windows calendar knows nothing about the AMfone membership.  

Perhaps the code does not believe we would ever make it to 2021, and the range-check editing needs to be updated.  A few years back it worked as designed.

Don't remember ever seeing an entire year's worth of calendar info being shown. Not sure why I would want to know someone's birth date 6 months from now   Cheesy
Of course, one could always create their own personal calendar with only info they would want to track. Free software is available, Check in Google.

KA2PTE
KA2PTE

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »

Ok then I guess the pm system works. You and some others I messaged I guess didnt feel a need to respond.

I have some experience coding legacy PHP portals and BB, but its been a while. I have the feelers out and will see what I can gather regarding an upgrade.

==================
==================
W4EWH

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2021, 06:24:44 PM »

To the "Sysop" -

I suggest that anyone who complains about things that are "wrong" should be sent a request for a $10 donation to the maintenance fund.

My 2₵.

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KA2PTE
KA2PTE

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »

Ok been a while, but havent given up looking for a solution and I think I made progress.
I can likely get a live demo running that will support all the features and functions here, plus
some moderizations with the latest cross platform compatabilities etc.

The sysop's / admins here would have to get logins, and take a test drive to make sure all the things
are running properly. I'm not looking for any direct compensation to get that much done but later on
if someone wants to donate a really good AM exciter so I can do more AM with my amp, that would be neat.

I hope you guys dont mind a slop bucket guy like me trying to help...hihi

==================
==================
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 08:09:45 AM »

PM Steve K4HX on this.  Thanks for the offer of assistance.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015