The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:12:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Band Opening Quick Check  (Read 5334 times)
N1NTE
Contributing

« on: January 03, 2022, 12:52:02 PM »

For the benefit of a ham I am elmering I created a webpage with shortcuts to each of the HF amateur bands on my N1NTE KiwiSDR receivers. He wanted a quick visual way to check the activity on specific ham bands and to look for band openings. I automatically set the zoom so that it shows the whole band in the waterfall so you have a nice visual indicator of the activity across the whole band. The audio is muted so it didn't conflict with the audio coming out of his HF rig.

I figured it might be helpful to others so sharing it here.

https://n1nte.blogspot.com/p/band-open-quick-check.html

- Rob
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 02:34:18 PM »

For the benefit of a ham I am elmering I created a webpage with shortcuts to each of the HF amateur bands on my N1NTE KiwiSDR receivers. He wanted a quick visual way to check the activity on specific ham bands and to look for band openings. I automatically set the zoom so that it shows the whole band in the waterfall so you have a nice visual indicator of the activity across the whole band. The audio is muted so it didn't conflict with the audio coming out of his HF rig.

I figured it might be helpful to others so sharing it here.

https://n1nte.blogspot.com/p/band-open-quick-check.html

- Rob

Listening to a band and not hearing any stations is not an indication that their is not a band opening in your particular area.  It could just mean no one is around to take advantage of the opening. Also, depending on the propagation, the band opening could only affect a small area at a point in time.

A better indicator is to use DX Maps: www.dxmaps.com

Here's a screen capture of 10 meters as I type. It's refreshed every couple of minutes. Very good indication of openings from multiple points and the type of propagation that's being encountered.

* 10-meters-03jan2022.jpg (115.67 KB, 1046x958 - viewed 350 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N1NTE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »

As I mentioned, the "quick check" page was set up for a new ham. He was frustrated by a lack of HF SSB contacts so it was to his benefit to have a quick visual of activity on the band so he could increase his chances of a contact. It would likely increase his frustration to use another tool that told him that the band was open but activity was low to non-existent.

I am not arguing the advantage that dxmaps.com has in determining a band opening. I was only offering another method to help someone in a similar situation or someone who  wanted to quickly see the activity on the band.

- Rob
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 04:54:02 PM »

Besides propagation, a lot would depend on the HF operating band, the mode, time, transmitter power, and antenna. The 80/75 meter and 40 meter bands also tend to be more "cliquey", especially on phone, then some of the other bands which can frustrate operators trying to make contacts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 07:40:36 PM »

Neat project Rob, Thanks for setting it up
Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
N1NTE
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 07:54:39 AM »

Besides propagation, a lot would depend on the HF operating band, the mode, time, transmitter power, and antenna. The 80/75 meter and 40 meter bands also tend to be more "cliquey", especially on phone, then some of the other bands which can frustrate operators trying to make contacts.

Yes, the new ham is learning about propagation slowly.  Smiley He has mentioned that some of the 80m cliques have already snubbed him. I told him to not give up and to try 17m and 15m when they are open (often lately) as I always had fun on those bands. He had a rough start right after getting licensed when one of the local clubs didn't even acknowledge him when he showed up at one of the meetings looking for help. I met him about 2 years after that and helped him to get on the air. Just trying to do my best to keep him active and interested.

Neat project Rob, Thanks for setting it up
Carl
WA1KPD

Thanks. It is low tech but helps to show band activity at a glance. Got several responses from locals who found it useful to them. Many who use my SDRs as their "crutch".  Wink

- Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015