The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:02:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Transmitter Build  (Read 24348 times)
kc4umo

« on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »

Hi All,

Been a while since I have posted here. Hope everyone is doing great.  I have just been way to busy with work and other things to do much internet browsing. Time for that to stop!.

I have been interested in doing a AM transmitter build for some time now. Now I found a little time and started the project.
I was looking at many different designs and went for the Bob Heil "pine board project". But done a little different.

This transmitter is housed in an old cb amplifier chassis I picked up.  Stripped it down and repainted it. Was plenty of room in this chassis.
I made a home brew band coil and band switch. So no clip wires or crystal swapping involved.

Not trying to self promote my youtube channel but I will be doing a series of videos on the build and decided to share with this group first.
Thinking of tuning the output stage into a "Pi" instead of an "L". This transmitter is going to include 40, 80, and 160 meters.

Anyway I have a lot of it done but still quite a bit to go.
As always appreciate your comments.

* one.jpg (97.7 KB, 640x480 - viewed 913 times.)

* Labeled.JPG (176.08 KB, 1239x908 - viewed 1028 times.)

* three.jpg (128.71 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1012 times.)

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 05:43:37 PM »

Looking good. I’m looking forward to the videos. Your Youtube channel is one of my favorite. I’m sure you will get some good feedback here.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »

very nice......lots of coil.......keep it up...Steve
kc4umo

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 08:41:49 PM »

Looking good. I’m looking forward to the videos. Your Youtube channel is one of my favorite. I’m sure you will get some good feedback here.

Thank you, glad you enjoy it.
I should have some video out by the week end.  First video will be on the power supply. Built a tube and solid state on bread board for testing.  Seems everyone was voting to do tube but I found solid state was better.

kc4umo

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »

very nice......lots of coil.......keep it up...Steve

Thanks Steve. Coil was a bit fun to build.  I used inch and three quarter thick wall PVC as a former. Turn it on the lathe at 10 TPI.  That made winding the coil very easy.

More to follow.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »

Make sure the cold end of that coil is the one close to the back grille...it is probably steel, and will suck up a lot of RF from the output via induction.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
kc4umo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 10:44:54 AM »

Make sure the cold end of that coil is the one close to the back grille...it is probably steel, and will suck up a lot of RF from the output via induction.

73DG

Thanks for that input.
The coil was made a bit longer than needed.  I will be trimming the end near the rear when I start testing and fine tuning.
Will most likely trim a inch and a half off.

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 10:44:53 PM »

Have to love the D&A Maverick chassis.

Plenty of room on that amp. Looking good so far.

--Shane
KD6VXI
kc4umo

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »

You are very correct on that Shane.

Anyway got the power supply video uploaded on YouTube this week end.
Things did not go as planned, lost my father in law Friday. He would be 90 in December.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »

sorry to hear that.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kc4umo

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 07:21:00 PM »

sorry to hear that.

Thank you.

Little back ground for those that may wonder.
He lived a good life, very seldom sick. Mother in law passed about 15 years ago.  So he has been on his own since.  He lived less than a thousand feet from me.  I see him at least three to four times a week.  Friday morning the wife tried calling with no answer. Went to the house and went in and found him slumped over on the couch.  He was alert but looked really bad, pale with dark circles under his eyes.

I went to help him up so he could sit up strait and he collapse in my arms.  The wife called 911 and I started CPR.  Seemed like an eternity for the EMS to arrive but was about 15 minutes.  Was able to get a pulse twice but he slipped back.  I knew I did all I could but wish I could had done more.

I has had very little health issues. Did not have to get people to sit with him. Was very independent. EMS said it appeared he had a heart attack during the night then a major one while we was there.

He went fast without a lot of suffering.  Will truly miss him.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 07:51:07 PM »

He knew you and your wife were there, and so he was with loved ones and not alone. Nothing better could you have done than to be with him at that time. Like you did say he lived a good life which is a blessing in itself though it may not seem a thing in the time of grief. God bless.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 02:37:19 PM »

Hello Buddy,Hopefully the pain of your losses has been somewhat erased by the passage of time, therefore I am wondering if there has been any further progress on your AM transmitter build?

Respectfully,

Terry
W2PFY

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
kc4umo

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »

Thanks everyone.
Life has been very busy.

Terry.
Yes I have done more to the transmitter build.
Actually working on the final transmitter section now. Just have not had much time but should be getting a new video out on it soon.

Have the band switch installed. Now to wire that up along with the final tube. Then start the testing process.
More to come

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 07:09:34 PM »

That's great Buddy! I for one will be looking forward, to see your repurposed chassis etc. as you go along..

Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015