The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:18:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hit with 6kv yesterday... DON'T trust the Millen connectors!  (Read 53560 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2022, 09:12:59 PM »

Hi Shane,

Wow!  Sorry to hear the delayed effects are so serious.

Exactly what damage was done?  Do you have a-fib resulting from poor heart signals from the brain or was there some actual tissue damage to the heart or surrounding areas? At this point in time, do the doctors think the open heart surgery (and other treatments) have a chance of correcting the problems?  

KLC:  Bingo - you spotted it!  The kitty picture is just one of many strange surprises hidden in my rigs ... :-).

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2022, 01:46:04 AM »

Putting a harmless and even nice surprise inside gear is a time honored thing. Used to do PCBs layout on a team, and one guy always created a cartoon character in some corner.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2022, 06:18:20 AM »

One thing and I mentioned this on the other reflector that Shane and I both frequent is that RF Parts have these Millen  connectors listed 7KV DC @ 2A!!!!! I think they will be ok to 2~2.5KVDC but I would not push it much farther than that! Especially since his experience!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2022, 09:30:55 AM »

I ha e t had an ussie with current handling.  I've pushed them to well over 6kv and used in an amp that had the capability to hit 5A peaks.

18 kw out...

And I agree Mike, they should be severely derated IMHO.

This isn't the 40s anymore.  We have better methods of HV transfer.

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015