The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:04:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Will Bring Big Changes at the ARRL  (Read 39438 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 07:21:03 PM »

Pete,

The point is simple. Why would someone support an organization that advocates a point of view they disagree with?

Cause, sometimes you have to put your own personal wants and desires in perspective as it relates to the overall betterment and future of amateur radio. The hobby isn't about "I" or "me".

Since you clearly agree with their objectives, by all means support them. But I, and I assure you others, find the path they've taken the hobby down objectionable. We have are not freeloaders and have no obligation to provide an alternative.

Darrell

What path has the ARRL taken the hobby down that is so objectionable to "you and others"? Innuendos and vague references aren't telling us a whole lot.

Further, if you and others feel the ARRL is traveling down some wrong path, whether you're a member or not, make them aware of how you feel about it. Get your "others" to do it too. The ARRL is very receptive to all amateur's opinions.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA5VGO

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 07:57:30 PM »

Pete,

I will leave you with two points. You and I will never find common ground on this subject and my decision to refrain from supporting an organization I have serious differences with does not make me a freeloader.

Darrell
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »

Pete,

I will leave you with two points. You and I will never find common ground on this subject and my decision to refrain from supporting an organization I have serious differences with does not make me a freeloader.

Darrell

Yep. it's hard to find common ground when you don't know the other person(s) specifics. But, that's OK with me. We who are members will applaud the good things that the ARRL does and definitely let them know when they do things that make us unhappy. The Directors and Vice-Directors, who we all vote into those positions, are all well aware of that.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 01:17:55 AM »

Individuals decide into which value-sharing associations to expend individual resources. It's not free loading.
Free loading is to request and then obtain something, for which payment is customarily expected, without paying for it.
Like any hobby there are those take more activist or publicly large scale acknowledgeable roles and those who work in silence or in private or local pursuit. The difference is the freedom of each individual to direct their value whether it is time, talent, or treasure.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WB2CAU

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 06:41:50 AM »

Pete,

Darrell

I’m in agreement with Darrell on this one.   I have serious differences as well.  I ended my membership back in the 80s when it was perfectly clear that the League did not support AM, my preferred operating mode.  Current Leadership even has an obvious bias against the mode and/or its operators. 

This is borne out by lack of AM technical coverage in the Handbook (yet there’s extensive coverage of less utilized, more esoteric modes), lack of AM phone privileges on 10m to Technician Class licensees (insisted upon by the ARRL), past correspondence I’ve had with League leadership on the subject of AM, and from an AM operator formerly employed at the League who was told that his promotions within the organization would be adversely affected if he didn’t “distance himself” from the AMers.   

Has any of that changed in the last 30 years? 

I would be supportive of the ARRL if they would lose the AM bias.  I’m hoping that the upcoming changes in leadership will change that attitude.   

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »

I’m in agreement with Darrell on this one.   I have serious differences as well.  I ended my membership back in the 80s when it was perfectly clear that the League did not support AM, my preferred operating mode.  Current Leadership even has an obvious bias against the mode and/or its operators.  

I'm in agreement that back in the 70's and probably even into the early 80's, the general trend in amateur radio operating was toward the more efficient SSB phone mode. Manufacturers were pushing it, better S/N radio, made less crowded bands, etc. and amateurs were dumping their old AM rigs by the boat load, and the ARRL, QST, CQ, Ham Radio Magazine, and 73 magazine were all on the SSB bandwagon. Back in those days, I bought a Ranger for $65, two working Apache's for $25 (and a 3rd for free) and I could go on. A vast majority of the amateurs were moving on to the SSB mode, many amateurs had no use or interest for AM only equipment anymore, and the Japanese manufacturers were fueling a lot of this activity too.

You said: "Current Leadership even has an obvious bias against the mode and/or its operators."
I'll make the assumption since it was stated in the first paragraph, talking about the 80's, this is the time frame you're referring too.
Given that, I don't think it was as much bias as it was the general trend of many amateurs (members and nonmembers) that were just moving on to the more efficient SSB modes for general contacts, contesting, and DXing.

I can only think of one or two AM amateurs back in the day (with their on the air antics) that may have "rattled" the ARRL management to some degree.

This is borne out by lack of AM technical coverage in the Handbook (yet there’s extensive coverage of less utilized, more esoteric modes),

The AM mode in detail has been covered in many many Handbook publications over the past years. Makes no sense to repeat the same information countless times. The Handbook also doesn't have much (any?) coverage on spark gap stuff either. Maybe we should raise the flag on that one.  Cheesy

lack of AM phone privileges on 10m to Technician Class licensees (insisted upon by the ARRL)

They were lucky to get any phone privileges on any HF band.

past correspondence I’ve had with League leadership on the subject of AM,

Interesting, not to laugh, but maybe it was style or how you approached them with the topic. Difficult to tell; we would probably have to see both sides of the discussion.
Over the last  25 years, any discussions I've had with ARRL management, Directors and Vice-Directors has always been positive. We may have not always agreed on various points, but I never went away pissed off.

from an AM operator formerly employed at the League who was told that his promotions within the organization would be adversely affected if he didn’t “distance himself” from the AMers.

Obviously hearsay, and difficult to discuss and even to substantiate. But, back in the 80's, I was told by senior management at a 3-day customer conference after I arrived, that unless I wore a dress white shirt and tie I couldn't attend any of the customer meetings. I only had the ties and non-white dress shirts. So, depending on the manager, wacky things can sometimes be said.

Has any of that changed in the last 30 years?  

I would be supportive of the ARRL if they would lose the AM bias.  I’m hoping that the upcoming changes in leadership will change that attitude.  

I think a lot has changed at the ARRL over the last 30 years. It had to as amateur radio has changed a lot over the last 30 years too. Back in the early 21st century, when Paul, Mark, and I pushed changes to the WAS award to include the AM mode, we met some resistance, but eventually we got it changed to include AM.

Our own AM page on the ARRL web site has been there for many years. There's no SSB page.  Cheesy There are a number of ARRL staffers that are active AM operators. During the year long 2014 centennial celebration, W1AW/ appeared many times, from many states, on many bands, operating on the AM mode. QST still posts a classic radio-type article on occasion. I believe there is no AM mode bias, but in today's amateur radio world, there are a lot more modes that have a very active amateur interest and the ARRL and the membership journal needs to keep up with all of them as best they can. That's probably not an easy task to keep everyone happy.

However, one needs to remember that the ARRL isn't just about modes and articles in QST. Their activities reach into the entire domestic radio broadcast world and also provide us a voice in any international radio regulatory matters. One only has to remember their great and persistent actions during the BPL craziness that went on several years ago. Now they're fighting the HOA's on behalf of all amateur radio operators trying to get legislation passed in Washington.

kg7bz
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »

I honestly don't understand this antagonism towards the ARRL, especially saying it's because of AM. Are you also upset because they aren't pushing Double Sideband Suppressed Carrier? The ARRL is fighting for much more than just a mode that you read about in a article now and then in QST. But even then, they are often publishing articles about AM, even have a vintage AM station:

http://www.arrl.org/vintage-station-qrv-at-w1aw

See the AM page at:

http://www.arrl.org/am-phone-operating-and-activities

If you're not supporting the ARRL in the battles against HOAs, BPL, Commercial users who want our bands, Grow-Light ballasts, and the myriad of other things that can make ham radio useless, then you shouldn't complain when one of these things hits you. There is NO other organization looking out for you on these fronts!

I don't always agree with what the ARRL wants to do, but I've been a supporter since I got my Novice license in 1984 and I will continue! I'm a strong user of AM and vintage equipment, the combined weight of the rigs I have piled here is in the 1000's of pounds. I will support the ARRL so I can continue to use them.

August KG7BZ
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 04:45:54 PM »

Money talks and famous names certainly can help a cause.

I saw a huge sway in positive attitude for AM by the ARRL after Joe Walsh showed his loyal support for AM.  After he donated the vintage station and about 25 of us AMers showed up at the ARRL to do the installation, things changed.

Not to miss an opportunity, the league also held a "Dinner with Joe Walsh" fund raiser at $1000 a head when he was in town. I think that went toward the W1AW rehab fund at the time.  There are a few pictures floating around of that event.

Then there was Bob Heil of mics fame who graciously aligned himself with AM.  Large advertising revenue can certainly change attitudes.

Eric, I think you were talking about "Master Jeff" in the late 80's.   He has long left that ARRL position, but was very muted and miffed about the reasons he didn't get on AM anymore the day I visited with him at W1AW.  He loved AM and was a popular personality at the time. 'Nuff said.

All in all, I think AM has successfully gotten through the dark ages with the ARRL and the league now realizes that there is huge support for AM -  and to rock the boat would just make an unnecessary hornet's nest again.  We all get along just fine these days, in my opinion.  They listen when we speak and give us the respect we deserve. 

T

* AM Volunteers.jpg (49.5 KB, 250x188 - viewed 1309 times.)

* Joe Walsh Station.jpg (529.25 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1310 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »

I no longer am an ARRL member. Back when I was a member I went onto their website, they had the pop up and flashing type of advertising, I find this type of advertising OBNOXIOUS. I'm trying to read something and here along comes an advertisement deliberately intended to distract me! Annoying to say the least.

I sent an email to the ARRL advertising contact describing this type of annoying advertising on their website, I got an answer in less than 10 minutes. A very snotty email informing me that this is the type of advertising that "gets clicked on". I emailed that person back and cc'ed a number of other ARRL contacts and restated that this type of advertising was obnoxious and distracting and I would consider this when my membership renewal came up. Never received a reply.

QST is almost entirely advertising, there is very little of interest to me, Electric Radio Magazine is of more interest and I save the issues. I throw away the old QST issues in a few months.

QST does not archive their back issues in a timely manner, there was an article I wanted to reread, I contacted them to see it were possible to get a copy, never got an answer.

I did not renew my membership, they still send me periodic letters asking me to join.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »

T,

"  I did not renew my membership, they still send me periodic letters asking me to join. "

They send me gift offerings to join. So I guess I have more value than you .... ..

klc

P.S. I save my ERs' too.
I do have a QST under my Bird Wattmeter.

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 07:44:59 PM »

I no longer am an ARRL member. Back when I was a member I went onto their website, they had the pop up and flashing type of advertising, I find this type of advertising OBNOXIOUS. I'm trying to read something and here along comes an advertisement deliberately intended to distract me! Annoying to say the least.

I sent an email to the ARRL advertising contact describing this type of annoying advertising on their website, I got an answer in less than 10 minutes. A very snotty email informing me that this is the type of advertising that "gets clicked on". I emailed that person back and cc'ed a number of other ARRL contacts and restated that this type of advertising was obnoxious and distracting and I would consider this when my membership renewal came up. Never received a reply.

QST is almost entirely advertising, there is very little of interest to me, Electric Radio Magazine is of more interest and I save the issues. I throw away the old QST issues in a few months.

Some manufacturers who advertise on their web site do have ads that have animation. So do 1000's of other web sites. Of course, you could always invest in a free ad blocker.

QST does not archive their back issues in a timely manner, there was an article I wanted to reread, I contacted them to see it were possible to get a copy, never got an answer.

Not true. QST's are archived right up to the current issue: http://www.nxtbook.com/fx/archives/view.php?id=4d8f3fb65736c8b1e83e4879a8b0ef57
Of course, you have to be a member to read them.
From December 2011 and back to 1915, you have to go here:
http://www.arrl.org/arrl-periodicals-archive-search
Of course, you have to be a member to read them

I did not renew my membership, they still send me periodic letters asking me to join.

ARRL membership is a lot more then QST magazine. Many members value the work the ARRL does, and has done, and will do, and not just the monthly QST perk.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015