The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:58:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter AM - From a Johnson Messenger Two?  (Read 29098 times)
gerry_w1id
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »

A DDS VFO is the way to go nowadays: very stable & very small compared to free-running variable oscillators. A synthesized radio is the preferred type radio for 10M modification because one crystal change can give you more frequency options and is usually more easily adapted to VFO operation. I just finished putting together one of the N3ZI DDS units he sells on ebay as well as his web site and it works quite well. I don't have any specific use for it at this time because I just bought it for experimentation. I also have the N4YG general coverage DDS which I intend to assemble & package for use with my vintage transmitters. I'm even thinking of putting one in a Heathkit HG-10B enclosure but I'm deviating from the subject matter. As far as the Johnson modulation quality, I don't know the limits of the system in the Messengers but it is excellent communications quality audio. The best way to adjust those rigs is by observing the modulation envelope on a scope while driving the audio stage with a low-level audio source. It's possible to adjust the transmitter without a scope but it's not something I would personally look forward to or even attempt.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015