lacquer Sticks

<< < (3/4) > >>

Mike/W8BAC:
Thanks Carl for the input. Interesting about the white lead and your years at National. I'm sure other HRO owners would like to ask a few questions. Welcome.

Mike

wa2rqy:
I've used a product called "Oil Bar" that I bought at Crafts & Art supply stores.
Cheep & comes in all sorta colors.
Skins over after a bit, I apply it with a jewels/small screwdriver to the egraving on knob or panel, then buff off excess ;)
Rich WA2RQY/4

k3sqp:
I've found acrylic craft paint works fine. You can get it in any craft/hobby store.
After you've painted the panel, clean out the engraved letters with a non metallic tool,
plastic or wood.  No special technique in applying the acrylic paint. Let it skin over and
\wipe off excess with damp cloth. Since it has a disimilar solvent(water) it doesn';t bother the
paint at all.
Frank
K3SQP

kg8lb:
Quote from: k3sqp on October 31, 2008, 02:27:21 PM

I've found acrylic craft paint works fine. You can get it in any craft/hobby store.
After you've painted the panel, clean out the engraved letters with a non metallic tool,
plastic or wood.  No special technique in applying the acrylic paint. Let it skin over and
\wipe off excess with damp cloth. Since it has a disimilar solvent(water) it doesn';t bother the
paint at all.
Frank
K3SQP

I too use the Artists Acrrylics. They are just right for the job. My wife gave me the idea about 20 years ago. The waxy crayons tend to darken and yellow with time as well as attract and hold dirt and oils. Acrylics come in many colors as well. The Titanium White is quite nice with a long lasting brilliance that is hard to beat. I have some items here that were done 20 years ago that still look as day one.

Mike/W8BAC:
Hi Gary,

I ended up trying both paint sticks and acrylic enamel. To test it I used a few old knobs and an old etched panel. It's just my opinion but I liked the paint much better because it laid flat in the shallow grooves and required less cleanup. The excess paint stick seemed to leave behind a residue that was hard to clean and solvent cleaning made a mess. Black wrinkle lettering (in my opinion) should only be done with a silk screen if the lettering is printed on the surface or acrylic if the lettering is etched (machined) into the surface. The uneven surface of the wrinkle paint finish is a magnet for excess paint or paint stick to hide. I had more control with the paint.

I used some fine artists brushes and a ton of Q tips. It takes a steady hand and a magnifier visor but the outcome is very nice. Your mileage may very.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands