The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:47:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOR Towers demolished  (Read 7003 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: January 12, 2007, 01:42:19 AM »

http://keyetv.com/watercooler/local_story_011124211.html

--- Post No Bills ---
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »

they used to put out a STRAPPING signal. i used to hear them any time of the day or night in Baltimore!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K1KFI
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »

...Those were the towers that broadcast the nightly Jean Sherpard show in the 60's on OR> I went to sleep many a night as a kid listening to him on the 9 transistor radio!
n3lrx
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »

Shame to see all that iron go to waste.. I'd gladly haul away one or two towers.. After the fall there's probably not much straight metal tho..
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »

Probably quite a bit is still straight, the swamp is very mushy...

But these were not the original WOR towers. I think they went into service in the mid to late 60s at the earliest.

The original (classic) WOR site was in Carteret NJ.

They had two "eiffel tower" type towers in the swamp.
There was a cable between the top of each tower.
running down to the swamp in the center was a very FAT wire/cable to a big doghouse.
The cable between the top of each tower was very taught.
It was so, because in the base of each tower was a large concrete block pulling down on each cable through the center of the tower!
How large was the block of concrete?
About the size of a small cottage/home!!
Ya mon!

The transmitter (I am looking for a picture of the transmitter room!!) was a full bore art deco creation of incredible chrome and black glass floor to ceiling magnificance! The floor was tiled in mostly black with a white art-deco pattern around the edges. The walls were about 30 feet straight up.

In the center of the floor was the control console, also black glass and fluted chrome.
I have the chrome plated key from the console, and the bronze one from the back-up console.  Wink

You ENTERED the transmitter, buy opening a door hidden in the black glass wall of meters... the tank coils were made of copper tubing of about 1-2" diameter. The tubes were GLASS of ~4 ft length, globe in the middle and connections on either end. Multiple tubes.

The TX was rated at 100kw, but that was obviously very conservative.

If you remember WOR as being a blowtorch station pre ~'65 then you remember the old rig, not the towers they just dropped.

I really really really wish I had brought my camera to take pix on the day that I got to visit that site, as it was scheduled for demolition and after it had been decommissioned.  Cry

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
n3lrx
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »

That sounds like the old Greenbury Pt. transmitting facility in Annapolis. It's all gone now but it used to have quite a few 'Eiffel Towers' (5 I think) they were about 600ft and the center support was a 900ft tower. I'll dig up some links, unless someone beats me to it..

But anyway, the array was massive! Like a spiders web, the ends were held taunt with massive blocks as well. I beleive the center tower was shunt driven, the web was a cap hat (I think). Shortly after they demolished most of the site and made it a public park I stopped by, there was a piece of feedline the size of sewer pipe lying on the ground! It may very well have been, But it was made of corrugated copper like Heliax. No center conductor. If it were feedline I'd like to have seen it in one piece! I'd imagine at VVLF (100KHZ I think) they'd feed it with open wire but who knows.. One thing I remember is they were fully capable of operating in the 50megawatt range! When I worked on the Eastern shore some years back, Id listen to the overnight truckers show on AM on my way home.. Within a few miles of the site I could hear short pulses of inter mod. As I got closer, it was obviously CW. On the Bay Bridge it was even more obvious! lol

I would have loved to see that site running.. But oh well.. People piss and moan about HARRP with its Megawatt 'ERP' transmitter.. I wonder what they'd say today if HARRP was actually running 50megawats out the pipe into a field array. If they're only running a few KW out the pipe with a few megawatts erp imagine what kind of gain they'd get if they ran megawatts! WOW! That's a  B I G STRAP!! Cheesy
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 03:09:27 PM »

...Those were the towers that broadcast the nightly Jean Sherpard show in the 60's on OR> I went to sleep many a night as a kid listening to him on the 9 transistor radio!

You had a 9 transistor radio?  I had a 10 transistor radio   Wink

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »

More coverage with better video:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4926618

WOR's coverage:

http://wor710.com/pages/182712.php

Nice website with lots of old and new WOR info:

http://hawkins.pair.com/wor.html

* wor-am-1932.jpg (89.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 501 times.)

--- Post No Bills ---
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »

Thanks for the links.  Found out where an old college friend works now.  Tom Ray used to be the lead engineer at WTIC.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »

t's all gone now but it used to have quite a few 'Eiffel Towers
NSS is gone, and the transmitter/control bays are parted out to keep sites in Maine and Florida going.
But they kept three of the free-standing Eiffel-style towers up as historic landmarks, and as roosts for the ospreys.

I had an excellent tour of the place while it was still hot, in May 1993.
There's nothing to compare to being inside a 1,000,000 watt transmitter room.

* NSS.jpg (91.83 KB, 350x202 - viewed 417 times.)
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 06:21:29 PM »

Hi Paul,

The NSS VLF rig in your photo looks like it might be a Continental Electronics transmitter.

Continental used to (or perhaps they still do) have the reputation for having more watts on the air than any other transmitter manufacturer. They built a lot of >50KW transmitting equipment for commercial and military applications.

Nice photo!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:45:58 AM »

It was actually two Continental 500 kW transmitters. Close to one MW went into the antenna with an ERP of about 18 kW. Yea, it's hard to get an efficient antenna at 21.4 kHz!

More pix here.

http://www.amwindow.org/pix/htm/nss1.htm
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:21:40 AM »

Good set o' shots there, Steve, I had forgotten that Dennis was part of that tour in 1998.

My shots had to be done with existing light, no flash, after we "discovered" that the transmitter tank's photocells to detect arc from a lightning strike or static discharge, thought my strobe was the same correct color to trigger a shutdown !

You wouldn't believe all the alert sounders and lights that came on right as I pressed the shutter.
Scary szht.

I knocked the place off the air for 20 milleseconds as the protective circuitry kicked in. Feller shown gave me a printout of the "fault" and of course, said here, since it was "my fault" har.

You can tell he doesn't look too pleased. I imagine there were all sorts of mil spec forms and paperwork he had to fill out because of the tourist who came through that day.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 12:24:02 PM »

Hmmmm...

Odd that shot looks suspiciosly like my operating position.  Cool

yeah, right.

_-_-WBear2GCr

actually, closer to INR's station actually...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015