The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:52:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe King 400 power supply question  (Read 3695 times)
kd5cpl
« on: December 10, 2006, 09:28:08 PM »

Hello---

I was in the process of getting a Globe King 400 ("B", I think) going for the first time since I bought it, and found out that the HV rectifier filament transformer shorts when the HV is turned on. Since I don't have a replacement, and no one around here will have one for sale, I thought I'd make a full-wave rectifier out of strings of 1000piv diodes mounted on a piece or perfboard, at least for now.

Well, after building the strings, I discovered that the equalizing resistors I used are only rated for 350 volts, so I removed them from the board. I can't find any rated at 1000v around here, so I guess I will have to order them. I am using .01 mfd ceramic disc caps, one across each diode. I haven't installed the rectifier board yet, since I don't have the right resistors.

Here are my questions:

1) Newer reference books say that equalizing resistors are not needed with newer diodes; yet many recent construction articles in various publications still say to use them. Who's right (or more right than the other)?

2) Even though I'm not going to drill the chassis full of holes or perform any non-reversable mods to the rig; is converting it to solid state rectifiers going to open a can of worms? I may not leave it SS forever, was doing this as a way to get it checked out and going quicker, and might put it back OE when the right parts fall into my hands.

Anyway, thought I'd ask these questions and see what someone with more experience than me has to say.

73 and thanks;
Gary KD5CPL
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 09:50:08 PM »

You don't need all the extra equalizing stuff anymore. That was yesterday when diodes varied in characteristics. Don't forget to completely disconnect all the H.V. from the rectifier filament windings. No other important issues except you don't get the pretty glow. Not worth the hassle IMHO. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015