Toroidal Balun vs. Choke Balun

<< < (2/6) > >>

WA1GFZ:
I've tried both on my tuner and they both work. mine was built in '83 a few years before measures invented it. I actually have a 1:2 BB steo up transformer with 6 2 inch iron cores. 3 beside 3 wound whth 5 turns of #14 teflon quadfilar. 2 windings in parallel for primary and two in secies CT to ground for the secondary. Warms up silghtly after the 4Cx3000A oln buzzard qro.

Steve - WB3HUZ:
One question Bruce, why do you think you need a better/different balun?

But out of curiousity, why would the toroidal current balun offer better isolation vs. the coaxial RF choke current balun?

If you take a look at the impedance to common mode currents for a ferrite based balun and a non-ferrite based balun, you see the impedances for the ferrite based balun will almost always be higher, especially at the lower frequencies.

So, do you need the higher impedance/better isolation?

WA1GFZ:
I tried the choke balun last winter and it worked just as well as the BB transformer.

K1JJ:
Bruce,

Oh, OK - I thought you were trying to use the coaxial balun for multiband use. I see you did say your bulk of operating was on 75M.

So for mono 75M, it really won't make any difference in the real world between the two. Especially in the shack where size does not matter, lightning is not an issue and the freq is single band.

I don't have an explanation of why the toroidal balun would be theoretically better, other than what I've already said - just what's been told to me by some of the guys in the industry who make them, like Jay at Array Solutions, etc.   I've used toroidal baluns up to 6M and they always perfomed perfectly, when designed right. Same for optimized coaxial RF chokes...

I'll do some more reading and let ya know what I find... ;)

T

WA1GFZ:
 a good Lightning hit will explode the cores. Choke balun might hang in if it is a short high frequency pulse. Waveform 4 will fry both configurations. Coax in cheaper than big cores if you are a bean counter.
The tuning was exactly the same with both configurations in my tuner.
I was surprised since one was a 1:2 step up and the other was 1:1. It must have just changed the Q of the network.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands