The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:59:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coast to Coast on 75!  (Read 3981 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: November 14, 2006, 02:54:29 PM »

Okay, so I'm not on the coast and neither is KL7OF, but close enough!

I didn't get on last night until fairly late due to problems with the furnace (still waiting for the repairman), but the wait was well worth it. Was first hearing Chuck, WA0ZZH coming in from Midland, TX remotely via Marv KC9VF's T-368. He had an excellent signal throughout the late evening into Vermont. Also heard a W6 in southern CA (W6CBN?) well enough to talk with him, but the band was busy. Chuck sounded like he was working a big DX pile up.

A bit later who should appear but KL7OF in Tum Tum. Now I have to say, I've read many posts in the past from Steve to 'JJ and the guys back east here about their FB contacts. So I got a tad excited. When I got the chance to call, he heard me well enough for a brief QSO, which made me happy. Afterwards I heard his signal start to build, and who was he talking with? My old pal Brian, W1LYD/KL7 up in Alaska! So when he turned it back to Chuck, I jumped in quickly and asked Steve to relay my greetings to Brian, which he did. I could even hear Brian coming back, albeit a mere murmur compared to Steve. Went back to Steve a few more times as conditions improved and was amazed at his signal back to tiny VT. Thanks again, Steve!

Talked with Chuck a bit later for a few, then called it a night. Went to bed in a cold house, but with that warm, fuzzy feeling that only good AM radio and good friends can leave you with.

Still grinning today.    Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »

It was good to work you last night Todd!.....I went to 160 after we worked and talked to the Pacific NW crowd ......Then about 11 PM local I went back to 75 mtrs and called CQ and got aich yell arrrh TIM....I stayed on until about midnight...

WA0ZHH ...Chuck
W9FGJ ...willis   Lake Havasu city AZ
WA2PJT
WA6TJW ..ted     Hemet CA
N3JHU...PA
NI5I...Jay   AR?
W1LYD/VY1....Brian   Carcross Yukon
KA1KAQ....Todd   VT
WA6JUS ...John   SanDiego CA
WA0VLM ....Jim Ohio
WY3D...Frank     NJ
KH6JS.....Hiram    Waki-Baki
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:04:18 PM »

and called CQ and got aich yell arrrh TIM....I stayed on until about midnight...
KH6JS.....Hiram    Waki-Baki

Was Hiram running the usual pair of phased birdcages beaming stateside?

Speaking of Tim - you made me laugh...   Back several years ago in the DX window on ssb, Tron and I were working some Euros. A UK station axed Tim to repeat his call many times. Tron kept saying Henry YELL R.   The Brit kept axing him to repeat the middle letter. Tron kept it up... "It's Yell, Yell, Yell.... aich YELL R, over! ".

It was pretty funny.  Grin Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
n3lrx
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:45:21 PM »

Coast to Coast AM on 75.. Did you work Art Bell?? lol

Aliens Ate My Antenna, The Black Helicopters mowed my lawn, and the Men In Black raided my fridge!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:17:33 PM »

Its more like "aliens ate my brain"   klc

What? Me worry?
n3lrx
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:34:37 AM »

They did? Sorry to hear about that.. You should have been wearing your Aluminum Foil cap!
I'm wearing mine! Cheesy
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:10:11 PM »

Well, I let my mind wander and it never came back ...

What? Me worry?
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 08:59:52 AM »

Hey Todd,

You were certainly loud in Indiana last nite!!  You were 50 over at one point, but band conditions were really unstable with a good deal of QRN also.  Steve, W8TOW is about 150 miles from me and at one point I couldn't hear him at all...... then he was 30 over 9 in the next minute.

Sorry I couldn't stay for the Mighty Elmac net, but condx were pretty interesting.  Good to hear you anyway.   Smiley

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015