The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extra Class License - Take the 30 Day Challenge!  (Read 44674 times)
WA3VJB
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2006, 10:25:21 AM »

Chris/ZDY where you said --
These yachters are not HAMS.  They're licensees who got thier licences solely to be able to freeload on our bands to avoid subscribing to the commercial services where their traffic should be.

When we are on our yacht, we listen to Pactor III all the time and in stereo !!!

* 51S1.jpg (138.66 KB, 350x289 - viewed 648 times.)
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2006, 10:37:21 AM »

ARRL is pissy about this one because the filthy rich cheapskate yachters just lost their email service.  Now they'll have to go pay for sailmail or something similar.  These yachters are not HAMS.  They're licensees who got thier licences solely to be able to freeload on our bands to avoid subscribing to the commercial services where their traffic should be. 

Why does ARRL care about these people?  They buy expensive gear including Pactor III modems and that increases advertising revenue for QSTreet.  Not to mention ARRL is very interested in Pactor III modems, though as far as I know the link to the money hasn't been found.

Down with Pactor III and Winlink.

Wow....  Anbody else ever bump into this gang of cheapskates?  Once we clear the band of cheapskate yachters, renegade RV captains, people licensed less than 32 years and the various folks involved in plots to increase QST revenue, there ought to be room for all extra class or not. 

As far as the Extra class license, its relatively attainable and I'd recommend studying for it as its pretty interesting stuff. 

Best,  Ed
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »

Nov 21 at 700PM I'm going for the Extra.  Discovered there's an exam session not to far from here.

Way to go, Bob.

Yes, making an appointment like that is the best way to keep the motivation up.  Did you find a universal link that lists the exam skeds all around the country, or do you need to locate a local VE through a club, etc?

BTW, in response to Gary's post about antennas operating down below 3700... we were discussing how our antennas will perform down there. It's an interesting thing that any Yagi or parasitic antenna using a reflector that works in one direction above 3800 will now beam in the opposite direction when below 3700!  I've found thru modeling that my normal NE quad used for Europe will now be beaming SW towards K4KYV in TN.  The reflector becomes a director when the freq goes below its resonant point.  As long as the swr is reasonable, it will work FB....

So bottom line - if you do DX in the DX window NE, tune the reflector as tight as possible towards 3800 (and still maintain a pattern) and it will become a director when you drop below 3700 for working SW AM.

Probably a better method is the driven array that Gary uses. It is broad-banded enough to cover 3650 and still switch directions exactly as it did above 3800. This antenna can be put up at 50' (minimum) and still work FB. If you have a single dipole now and can add a second dipole 60' apart, then welcome to the world of 75M hearing with a front to back, unidirectional patterns and forward gain. 

For more details:
http://amfone.net/ECSound/K1JJ21.htm

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2006, 11:27:55 AM »

and all you poor slobs running open wire line only need to walk over to the tuner and turn the knob to go lower in the band.
I wonder if it is time to build a wire log antenna to cover the whole band. 4 elements should do it. but you will be stuck in one direction.

Tom Vu. Say you had a pair of two wire dipoles and one wire was longer than the other. Then force feed both antennas to get directional gain. This way the antenna would work at both ends of the band. Does dat work for low swar
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2006, 11:31:04 AM »

I posted the blurb about the arrl's possible petition to change the new rules.....
Thought as many people possible should be aware that the plans to move down to 3600+ could be thwarted.

I'm sure your intentions were good. The more we know, the better prepared will can be. But it's highly unlikely anything will be thwarted in the next 30 days. It took the FCC several years to publish the current R&O. Do you think the ARRL or anyone else is going to get the FCC to publish anything else (good or bad wrt to the current R&O) in 1/48th the amount of time? I say no.
N8LGU

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »

As I understand it, It's a done deal...Am I wrong?
    Oh Boy!! 3600-3700 kc AM LAND! Rejoice and give thanks to the FCC.

"Rock Cave Dave"
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2006, 12:13:15 PM »

Tom Vu. Say you had a pair of two wire dipoles and one wire was longer than the other. Then force feed both antennas to get directional gain. This way the antenna would work at both ends of the band. Does dat work for low swar

Yes, that would work FB for one direction, Frank. It would work with good gain and swr on both ends of the band depending on how long the ref was and how short the dir was to broadband it. The broader, the less gain and f-b, of course.

For directional switching, the phased dipoles as mentioned in my previous post are the choice. Going from 3650 to 3890 is nothing in terms of phase error using coax. It will work FB unidirectional in this range of freqs.

However, with a parasitic array like mine, you will run into "crossover" frequency problems. This is where the ant doesn't know which way to beam, so it is bi-directional and the swr soars..

Bottom line is if you care only for one direction, then your 2el ref/dir driven array idea is simpler and a good way to go. For cloud burner local, and uni directional switching, go with the coax driven array.

If the array can be put up at 1/2 wavelength high, I prefer the simplicity of a parasitic quad or Yagi.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2006, 01:09:56 PM »

But it's highly unlikely anything will be thwarted in the next 30 days. It took the FCC several years to publish the current R&O. Do you think the ARRL or anyone else is going to get the FCC to publish anything else (good or bad wrt to the current R&O) in 1/48th the amount of time? I say no.

If I recall correctly, there is a window for petitions for reconsideration during the 30-day period after it is published in the Federal register.  At the normal pace for federal agencies, it would take months for them to act on it.  Remember it took almost a year for the petitions for reconsideration for the power limit issue to be resolved, and that was one where the FCC had already made up its mind before the original NPRM was issued.

But it wouldn't hurt to check the FCC website periodically to see if any petitions have been filed.  Others than the ARRL might want to get in on the action.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2006, 05:39:15 PM »

Nov 21 at 700PM I'm going for the Extra.  Discovered there's an exam session not to far from here.
Way to go, Bob.

Yes, making an appointment like that is the best way to keep the motivation up.  Did you find a universal link that lists the exam skeds all around the country, or do you need to locate a local VE through a club, etc?

Tom,
I went to the ARRL's website and clicked on Exams link and looked up the VE exam sessions for our area.  Turned out that Paul K1PL is sponsoring a VE session in Portland on the 21st in the evening.  My sched is clear and I'm going for the last step in the radio license journey. 

I tested myself a few times on QRZ and passed each time so I think I will be coming home with an Extra. Why I didn't do this sooner, who knows.  Oh well. 

I'm motivated to get it.  Thanks for the kick in the pants.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2006, 06:37:43 PM »

hey,
       good luck to all atempting to get their extra, great idea tom!  Got mine
in the mid 70's. the code was a bitch for me, but struggled and got it. just
renewed, good until 2016, if I'm still alive

deano

am forever!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2006, 09:07:22 PM »

After being a career Advanced for about 36 years, I took and passed the Extra-lite upgrade Element 4 written exam this evening.  I believe I got a 96 % on it.  You need a 74 % (37 correct) to pass.

Without prior study, I took the 16 numbered tests on the QRZ.com site this past weekend.  My results ranged from 80 - 94 %.  Today I studied from the ARRL Extra Q&A book, then re-took the one QRZ test that I had the lowest score on.

It's been 36 years since I took an Amateur license exam.  This is my first (and last I presume) under the VE program and the open Q&A pool.  My impression of the questions and answers is that many are worded trickier than the old study-the-material-and-take-the-test-not-knowing-the-exact-questions-and-answers, due to the published pool.

While studying, I believe I disagree with the answers for ~ 3 of the technical questions.  I will probably write to the ARRL on those questions, after spotting them.

So my advice is to those who are thinking of studying the Extra theory/rules material only and taking the VE test the old manly way, take the 16 QRZ Extra question pool tests, because it matters not what you think is correct, but what is the ARRL's correct answer.

See youse on 36xx kHz. AM. December 15/16.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WA3VJB
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2006, 09:19:13 PM »

Congratulations Tom.
But I am doomed.

because it matters not what you think is correct, but what is the ARRL's correct answer.

That's it, I'm selling out.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2006, 10:35:24 PM »

Congratulations Tom.
But I am doomed.

because it matters not what you think is correct, but what is the ARRL's correct answer.

That's it, I'm selling out.

Ya dont have to take the ARRL exam to upGrade  --- there's that Iy5 or 5why eye  or ahatever offering tests.. diff  vol examiners; same QueSTion pool...

http://www.w5yi.org/  ..............   bunch other listed with the fee cee      klc

What? Me worry?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2006, 10:47:54 PM »

After being a career Advanced for about 36 years, I took and passed the Extra-lite upgrade Element 4 written exam this evening.  I believe I got a 96 % on it.  You need a 74 % (37 correct) to pass.

Way to go, Tom!!!  You've just promoted yourself to all the privies available.

You get the Official JJ AM "Slap on the Back AWARD"   Grin Grin Grin

Yes, like many of these type tests, if ya read too far into them, some answers are really wrong. The smarter you are, the less benefit to read into them I guess.

I'm not sure what percentage of AMers will be Extras by Dec 15th and be joining us below 3700, but glad you'll be one of them, OM.  I'm hoping there will be a large crowd by then.

At the moment I have only three more projects on the bench to complete this month - and all are your KLR designs - the two 833A  cathode audio drivers and the 6M matching networks. You da man!!

T

W1IA

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2006, 02:46:09 AM »

Without prior study, I took the 16 numbered tests on the QRZ.com site this past weekend.  My results ranged from 80 - 94 %.  Today I studied from the ARRL Extra Q&A book, then re-took the one QRZ test that I had the lowest score on.

It's been 36 years since I took an Amateur license exam.  This is my first (and last I presume) under the VE program and the open Q&A pool.  My impression of the questions and answers is that many are worded trickier than the old study-the-material-and-take-the-test-not-knowing-the-exact-questions-and-answers, due to the published pool.

While studying, I believe I disagree with the answers for ~ 3 of the technical questions.  I will probably write to the ARRL on those questions, after spotting them.

So my advice is to those who are thinking of studying the Extra theory/rules material only and taking the VE test the old manly way, take the 16 QRZ Extra question pool tests, because it matters not what you think is correct, but what is the ARRL's correct answer.

See youse on 36xx kHz. AM. December 15/16.

Congrats Tom....WOW! before you know it all the gang will have extras.
Now if we can just convince VJB to give up this romance with his advanced and join the us in the V.I.P. lounge below 3700 Kilocycles Wink....Cawm on Paul....."...use the force Luke....come to the Dark-Side" or join the Pasta Boilers FOREVER!!

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2006, 08:15:44 AM »

Pasta Boilers?
This pasta boiler has been an extra for over 30 years boy!
bait eater
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2006, 09:27:27 AM »

You know what's really weird..?

I almost never exercise the band privileges of Extra. I think I've only operated in the Extra portion of the 75M fone band five times...CW only once or twice..Kinda lonely down there..No one I know...Maybe that will change now.
KC4HGH

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2006, 09:40:23 AM »

The only reason I had to wait a month between my General and Extra was the testing sessions were a month apart- but, to be sure, until then, that Extra book was with me everywhere: dinner table, toilet, at work at lunch- and I did it!
W1EUJ
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2006, 10:15:12 AM »

Me too!

I used aa9pw.com for both my examination and CW practice. Characters were learned with the Koch
method and compatable software. After one month of study (CW recordings, carrying flashcards for
using free moments for study, taking the A.R.R.L. Extra study book tothe can...), I got my Extra.

I'm not sorry for getting the 5WPM Extra. I fix my own equipment, design my own antennas. I'm willing to fight anybody who calls me a No-Code Extra. Put them up!

Dave Goncalves
W1EUJ
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2006, 02:08:08 PM »

Everyone,

Thanks for the congratulations on the Extra.

Here's a practice study question you won't find in the current pool:

E4E11D7  What is the amateur station activity known as fox hunting?

A.   Assisting government agents with tracking transmitter collars worn by foxes.
B.   Bachelor AM’ers trolling bars for women.
C.   All of the above.
D.   None of the above.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2006, 02:35:05 PM »

Congrats Tom, maybe we can do some late morning/early afternoon 75M tests in the new area! I think I only used my extra privileges once and that was on SSB(gasp!).

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »

Everyone,

Thanks for the congratulations on the Extra.

Here's a practice study question you won't find in the current pool:

E4E11D7  What is the amateur station activity known as fox hunting?

A.   Assisting government agents with tracking transmitter collars worn by foxes.
B.   Bachelor AM’ers trolling bars for women.
C.   All of the above.
D.   None of the above.

They should have had Tim write the AMers Extra test...

1. What is a Crapstal?
2. How many amps x volts = Full Scrote?
3. How does the average transmitter Swing the Munkey?

WA1GFZ

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2006, 03:26:23 PM »

All who pass get a pickled egg plant sangwich at gfz radio. If you get an A then you get to try some of my Dad's stash only 4 weeks old.

Good Deal Tom!

Fox hunting is what you do when the bands are broken if you need pba.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2006, 03:46:05 PM »

Tonight is the night.  At 700PM I will be sitting down doing a multiple guess test.  The odds are favorable for passing. I can only hope that I don't get nervous, lose my normal train of thought and over-analyze the test questions.   Will let you know how I do when I get back tonight.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1IA

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »

Pasta Boilers?
This pasta boiler has been an extra for over 30 years boy!
bait eater
Macaroni Net? Tongue

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015