The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:28:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT-37 Halli.........  (Read 5936 times)
WZ1M

« on: November 06, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »

Picked up a HT-37 Hallicrafters a few months ago. Finally put it on the bench yesterday. Changed all the filter caps and the bumblybees, except in the sideband generator assembly. Will get to that next weekend. Well, I brought it up on a variac while watching the current on the primary side and nothing more than an amp and 1/2 was noted. Threw a watt meter on it and into a cantenna, keyed it up and holy s--t, 100 watts. I did check all tubes first and adjust the bias to a -50 volts. I also changed the bias rectumfier  Shocked Looks like I mite be back on AM in the near future. Receiver being used is a SP-600JX-1. Is there any mods to be done to the HT-37 audio while I have that part removed from the chassis?
Best regards,
GAry...WZ1M
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »

Gary,
       I always get the 37 and 32 confused, but If the burned brain cells remember correctly the 37 uses a fazing exciter rather than a filter. I have heard some of these on AM and they can sound very good. I think Chris (KD2XA) uses one and it sounds very good. However it was still designed to be a 100wPEP ssb rig. So dont expect it to make 100w of AM carrier. It will prolly do 20 or 25w of AM. Can you say leenyour amplifier needed.........................
                                                    The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 03:34:43 PM »

The HT 32 is the filter version and the 37 uses phasing.  I ran one for a while and have owned two.  They sound good in either SSB or AM.  It is a very good, but large, rig to drive an amp.  100 watts SSB and 25-30 on AM.  Uses 2 6146s in the final. 

The HT 44 is pretty much the same transmitter with a sperate power supply.  The 44 is much smaller and more compact plus is lighter as a result.  If it hasn't been messed up, the 44 is also more stable by a bit.  It uses 6DQ6s as finals, not as robust a tube.
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:01:47 PM »

it's tough to dig into the HT37 or 32 sideband generator can but it has been done. you need to fatten up the coupling caps, and i think in the 37 there's a few caps for high freq. roll off that need to go. if you have audio prcessing- use it. it's very easy to flat top these radios on SSB- no ALC, and on AM the limiter/compressor will prevent you from "going into sideband" on peaks. there was a guy on Cape Cod years ago WA1CML with a modified 37 driving a GG 4X1. he was a channel master with great audio.
WZ1M

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:54:11 AM »

Had the sideband generator assembly out in a matter of ten minutes. I did do some changes and replaced a few caps. Put back together and it sounds pretty good. Will try and fire this up on AM next weekend.
GARY...WZ1M
N0WVA

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:34:50 PM »

The 37 is a badass transmitter....works good on AM. For SSB the 32b is a cadillac. Another rig a could kick my ass over selling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015