The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio Is Dying - Instant Gratification = Dumbing Down ?  (Read 29741 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »

I seem to recall a memory saying from Cub Scouts 46 years ago or so for wig-wag convention:

Remember what the old Dutchman said "Dot's right".

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »

Just had to clarify...someone several pages ago mentioned 'CW lost its usefulness by the lated 30's or so

I never said any such thing. CW will always be useful (to some extent or another) as long as there are at least two people who know it. My point was that as a test element, it was outdated by WWII or so. For discussion sake, let's go with your time line, let's say it was still the main comms mode until the early 70s (I disagree with this premise since in any segment, amateur, commercial or military, voice comms and/or other data comms use far out paced Morse comms.) Surely, you are not suggesting, this still pertains today? Go talk to any military recruiter. Asking him how many diddy-bobbers he/she are recruiting. They won't even know what your are talking about. The top 10 most wanted job specialties (MOS) recruiters are looking for today don't include ANY that fall in the Signal or Military Intelligence areas, the two where someone with Morse Code skill would work.

So, it's not about usefulness, it's about whether the Morse Code should be part of the amateur radio test.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2006, 09:29:40 PM »

I was doing JOTA all day with lots of scouts sheepishly talking into the Hallicrafters SR-150's microphone. It was great exposure for ham radio and lots of fun.

The JOTA organizer is Technician Class and a real Ham Radio activist and promoter with the kids. I asked him why he had not upgraded. He said that he is dyslexic and he can not copy over 7 WPM. I said great - take the test. He said that under the current VE code provisions, the farnsworth method must be used to administer the test. The characters are sent at 15 WPM , but the spacing is 5 WPM and it is the fast characters that mess him up. So I said, just have somebody give you the test at straight 5 WPM. He said nobody can do that now. I said that I could give him the test. He said that I could not because I was not registered under one of the several recognized VE groups such as W5YI or the ARRL and they must use Farnsworth.

Now I know that he could probably get a doctor to sign some kind of paper which would allow an accomodation, but this all seems like BS to me.     

MIke WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2006, 09:47:18 PM »

I was doing JOTA all day with lots of scouts sheepishly talking into the Hallicrafters SR-150's microphone. It was great exposure for ham radio and lots of fun.

The JOTA organizer is Technician Class and a real Ham Radio activist and promoter with the kids. I asked him why he had not upgraded. He said that he is dyslexic and he can not copy over 7 WPM. I said great - take the test. He said that under the current VE code provisions, the farnsworth method must be used to administer the test. The characters are sent at 15 WPM , but the spacing is 5 WPM and it is the fast characters that mess him up. So I said, just have somebody give you the test at straight 5 WPM. He said nobody can do that now. I said that I could give him the test. He said that I could not because I was not registered under one of the several recognized VE groups such as W5YI or the ARRL and they must use Farnsworth.

Now I know that he could probably get a doctor to sign some kind of paper which would allow an accomodation, but this all seems like BS to me.     

MIke WU2D

Yes....total and complete BS......

ARRL VEs can  and MUST accomodate 'handicapped examinees'  Yes, MAY have to have a doctor's note....

BUT this sounds like a VE team that doesn't want to go out of it's way.....

This is an excerpt from the ARRL VE Manual

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vemanual/VEman-ch7.pdf

That guy needs to complain LOUDER and take his upgrade !!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015