The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:47:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New AM bandplan  (Read 44626 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: October 16, 2006, 03:09:28 PM »

I sent a message to my ARRL district director today (yes I am a member) asking that the ARRL not issue a band plan for the new phone frequencies.  His response was in agreement, to let the band settle before trying to establish anything.

He did say his box is overflowing with messages from CW and digital people.  Humm! wonder what they are saying?

I am lucky that the district director here has some common sense about most of what we like on this board.  But, whatever response you receive, I urge you to let your director know how you feel.  I sent the same message to that robot the ARRL HQ has set up, so maybe someone will hear.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:38:13 PM »

I know on the CW reflector they are pissing and moaning about all the CW spectrum the Generals lost.  But Generals gained 50 kc/s of phone spectrum, and 3500-3600 is still plenty considering the amount of CW activity these days.  I suspect mosts Generals were glad to make the trade.

I do think the FCC went a  little overboard with the Extra class only portion.

Still not perfectly clear if the Generals will lose non-voice privileges on 3600-3700.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:14:30 PM »

Still not perfectly clear if the Generals will lose non-voice privileges on 3600-3700.

Based on the updated band chart it would seem so:
http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/wt04-140/Hambands3_color.pdf

* new_80_40.JPG (94.45 KB, 420x500 - viewed 1480 times.)

David, K3TUE
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »

Excellent Jim, that’s the way to do it. Let the ARRL e-mail robot and your Director know your feelings on the phone band expansion. I also did the same thing.

By the way, you might let your Director and/or Vice-Director know about the ARRL Forum here at amfone.net. This is probably one of the few places where there is a vast collection of discussions about the ARRL’s past, current, and pending actions and activities all collected under one roof. Obviously, it would be great for them to become members, but, given their Director/Vice-Director position, I would understand their reluctance to do so.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:45:55 PM »

So....!

We do need to reach a consensus on an least a tenative AM calling frequency down under.

Is 3725 OK for now?
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »

Why not continue to use 3825, or is there some conflicting use in the evening I don't know about?

Bill KA8WTK
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 06:04:45 PM »

Someone mentioned that there's a pretty regular Canadian group that uses 3725.?
Not that I would avoid using it for regular 'ol conversation etc.

But I wouldn't want to announce it as a new calling freq, and make it appear we're "moving in on their turf..."

It would be nice to be able to engage in conversation with them, and not make new enemies.....

Is 3825 a calling freq for AM?   wasn't aware of that....(hey, there's a lot I'm not aware of..... Grin)

In any case, a calling frequency, should definately be in the "General Portion"...IMHO

The problem that exists with "calling frequencies" is that they are very seldom used in the intended manner, and end up being the place where folks plunk down, and buzzard on...........but maybe that's beside the point........

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:14:08 PM »

Someone mentioned that there's a pretty regular Canadian group that uses 3725.?
Not that I would avoid using it for regular 'ol conversation etc.

But I wouldn't want to announce it as a new calling freq, and make it appear we're "moving in on their turf..."

It would be nice to be able to engage in conversation with them, and not make new enemies.....

Is 3825 a calling freq for AM?   wasn't aware of that....(hey, there's a lot I'm not aware of..... Grin)

In any case, a calling frequency, should definately be in the "General Portion"...IMHO

The problem that exists with "calling frequencies" is that they are very seldom used in the intended manner, and end up being the place where folks plunk down, and buzzard on...........but maybe that's beside the point........

That's exactly what I have in mind..
Visiting with the VEs and saying, "HI"
Seeing if 3725 would cooperatively work or if another
calling freq neds to be considered.

Whateve happens, everyone is still gonna congregate near 3885, so there won't ever be much US AM activity on 3725.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:34:44 PM »

As you say Bill, most will still probably hang around 3885. We have late afternoon activity around 3825 and we can go down to the VE area of the band and make new AM friends.

This might be easier and less disruptive than trying to lay claim to another “AM Calling Frequency”. Actually, one would have to ask, why do you need more than one AM calling frequency per band. Calling frequency not be confused with a QSO frequency.

W1IA

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:41:36 PM »

So....!

We do need to reach a consensus on an least a tenative AM calling frequency down under.

Is 3725 OK for now?
I think 3685 would be a great landing place...I would love to get down to the bottom with a clear freq.

Yes yes no guarentees?
But what the Hell.

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »

Speaking of the new frequencies, is anyone else monitoring the Federal Register to see when the RO is published?

I haven't seen anything yet, but I may miss it.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »

I haven't seen anything there yet either.

WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 02:25:42 PM »

Obviously, it would be great for them to become members, but, given their Director/Vice-Director position, I would understand their reluctance to do so.

I feel the same way, Pete.
As an active, interested member of the hobby I really wouldn't want to be seen associating with the people In Newington, so I don't subscribe.
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »

Jim,
It's nice that you communicated with the group in Newington, but don't count on their having much influence or determination to take much of a chance on any sort of proposal to address the expanded phone bands.

They had two years to develop some sort of plan to accompany their discredited "bandwidth" propoosal, and for them to now elicit comments within a few weeks probably explains why they also said they wouldn't be answering people.

But thanks for playing.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:51:32 PM »

Yea, the ARRL sucks. I hate it. They are idiots. You can't talk to them. Even if if you could, I wouldn't, cause they suck. QST sucks too. I wouldn't line the bottom of my bird's cage with it (if I had one). They're all evil. The world is soon going to end.

Have a nice day.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 03:33:40 PM »

Yea, the ARRL sucks. I hate it. They are idiots. You can't talk to them. Even if if you could, I wouldn't, cause the suck. QST sucks too. I wouldn't line the bottom of my bird's cage with it (if I had one). They're all evil. The world is soon going to end.

Have a nice day.

* Parrot_in_cage.gif (13.61 KB, 96x121 - viewed 2230 times.)

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 03:51:12 PM »

An organization is nothing more or less than the individuals that make up the organization.  A lot of the slipperyness/tricks and other apparent philosophies and changes by the ARRL we dislike may be coming from Dave Sumner, in my opinion.  He's been in there a long, long, long, long, long time; too long.   No one should ever be the head of an organization for a very long time.

Perhaps its time to try to get a regime change.  I don't know when the next time Dave comes up for a vote or whatever his "renewal process" is, but let's consider an orchestrated plan to contact our ARRL section people , headquarters and board members for non-renewal of Dave.  Non-ARRL hams can give feedback.  ARRL members can also threaten to drop their membership.

Not everything the league does is bad.  In my opinion it ain't worthwhile killing the organization, just get a different and better leader in power.

What say?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »

Thanks Pete. We are going to get some newspaper, not QST, to line the bottom of the cage. That will show the mean old ARRL. I'm taking my ball and going home too. But only after the world ends.

2ZE
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »

They had two years to develop some sort of plan to accompany their discredited "bandwidth" propoosal, and for them to now elicit comments within a few weeks probably explains why they also said they wouldn't be answering people.

Problem is Paul, the FCC didn't adopt the ARRL plan. How could they possibly plan for a decision they didn't expect?
While I agree with the FCC's logic more than the league's logic (voice down to 3600 KHz vs. 3725 KHz), how could they have possibly predicted what would've happened?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 04:27:14 PM »

Don't bring facts and reason into this Mike. How can we hate on the ARRL if you do?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 05:08:03 PM »

Problem is Paul, the FCC didn't adopt the ARRL plan. How could they possibly plan for a decision they didn't expect?
While I agree with the FCC's logic more than the league's logic (voice down to 3600 KHz vs. 3725 KHz), how could they have possibly predicted what would've happened?

The phone band expansion actually happened two years ago. It's just taken the FCC two years to do the R&O.

"...the so-called "Omnibus" Amateur Radio proceeding, WT Docket 04-140. The 2004 Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB) proceeding, one of two still awaiting FCC release, consolidated a dozen rule making petitions addressing various Part 97 rule changes -- including ARRL's Novice refarming proposal. In its Notice of Proposed Rule Making and Order (NPRM&O), the Commission proposed to go along with the League's refarming concept and most other recommendations. ARRL President Joel Harrison, W5ZN, says the long-overdue Report and Order seems to be stalled for no reason."

WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 05:26:11 PM »

Pete can you explain this to us ?

Obviously, it would be great for them to become members, but, given their Director/Vice-Director position, I would understand their reluctance to do so.
Joe Long
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 05:55:54 PM »

God Forbid. Someone just might associate them with AMers.Would they ever be forgiven?  Joe
WA3VJB
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 08:48:27 PM »

God Forbid. Someone just might associate them with AMers.Would they ever be forgiven?  Joe

Aye.
Pete will have a tough time explaining his apology for the volunteer pack leaders at his group in Newington, who couldn't possibly show their support for other active, interested hams in the hobby.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 09:10:05 PM »

Yea, that vintage AM station at W1AW must be killing them. We know they never do anything for AM. It's in their DNA to hate AM.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015