The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless / Steam Engine Show on CT/RI Border.  (Read 4626 times)
N9NEO

« on: September 11, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »

September 30th the New England Wireless and Steam Museam is having a steam up.  They have some very nice radio gear on display.  They have a New AM setup that you will all be interested to see in the link below.  Steam engins, automobiles, and maybe even a motocycle will be displ;ayed. See previous years photos.

I hope to see some of you there early in the morning.  I will be leaving that morning for a cross-country MW DXpediion and will make that my first stop.

Bob
N9NEO

http://users.ids.net/~newsm/Wireless/Massie/massie.html

http://users.ids.net/~newsm/

http://users.ids.net/%7enewsm/dates.html

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:30:31 AM »

this week brings Maryland's largest steam and gas engine show. Sept.  14, 15, 16, and 17. It is the
Maryland Steam Hystorical Society's 51st anual steam and gas engine show. It is held at the Arcadia VFD
carnival grounds in Upperco Md. (5 miles north or Reisterstown Md.)

It is an absolutely FABULOUS show!! This will make the 31st year that I have attended. I have watched this show grow from about 10 exhibitors 30 years ago th a huge monster that completely fills the carnival grounds!!

Anyone who is gonna be in the Baltimore area this weekend should really make an attempt to go. you wont regret it!!
                                                              the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:02:15 PM »

Bob,
Do you have directions from RT95. I might want to check the spark rig out.
I could get myself in real trouble but it will be fun.
N9NEO

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »

Hey Slab Bacon,

I haven't been to a steam show ever, but it looks like a fun event.  Some cool pictures at the RI Site.

Hey Frank,

Check out the pages.  They have a bunch of nice gear and pictures of they're new AM Station.

It looks to be less than an hour from Niantic.  Link below has directions from 95 exit 8 in RI.

http://users.ids.net/%7enewsm/directions.html

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »

I'd like to attend but I'll be on my way to San Francisco on the 30th.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:14:11 AM »

Hey Slab Bacon,
I haven't been to a steam show ever, but it looks like a fun event.  Some cool pictures at the RI Site.

If you come here for my "Post timmonium AMers party", you can often be part of a small one. If enough of the guests show some interest, I have been known to drag some of my collection out of the garage and fire them off.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 05:58:48 AM »

The New England Wireless and Steam Musuem's annual fall Steam Up is a lot of fun.  I have not been to them in the last several years as they were scheduled in conflict with fall Hosstraders, but this year I might be able to make it.

Not really on the RI/CT line (it's in East Greenwich in the central part of the state), but easy to get to.  From I-95, take Route 2 south at exit 8S.  About two miles south on 2, go right on to Frenchtown Road (traffic light).  The musuem is about a mile west of 2 on Frenchtown Rd.

The operating ham station is set up in the lower floor of the old station PJ wireless station building, which was moved lock stock and barrel from down in Point Judiuth. The very early spark station of PJ is upstairs.  It's complete, but not operational.  Several other buildings of radio stuff, and some huge operating steam eigines in the machinery hall.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 10:04:50 AM »

Gee I want to operate a spark machine and maybe get a harmonic on 3885
... - .-. .- .--.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 05:40:24 AM »

Ther is a working rotary gap sparker in the main wireless display area.  It's somehow connected to a Tesla coil and really can throw some big arcs!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015