The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:37:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Vegetarians Here?  (Read 60214 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2006, 04:11:08 PM »

Vegetarian for the past 34 years.
- W2JTD

Paul,

I've heard you mention this on the air over the years. Please tell us more. What kind of meals have you settled on as staples and where do you shop, etc?

What do you think of fish and shushi in light of your present diet? 

Any tips on this subject would be much appreciated, OM!

Hi Tom -

I eat a lot of Indian food, just because I like it. I can't claim any physical benefits as I always was a skinny geek who never worked out. I have also recently (in the last 2 years) discovered that I suffered from an intolerance to wheat gluten (apparently the reason for my skinny body. I still get laid a lot, though) so no wheat, barley, oats or rye. Gin and tonic is OK!

Why a vegetarian? Way back in time, I heard the Beatles were vegetarians and it sounded cool so I gave it a try. Grew my hair out too. Then I just stuck with it as a matter of personal choice.

Food is a funny topic, like religion or politics (look at this this long thread). Interesting how passionate some of us are about our various points of view, and how judgemental we can be of others.

Just my 3 cents. Eat, drink and enjoy. QTF?

Paul - Funny thing you should mention Indian food! It's about as diverse as one could possibly get, and my wife and I go crazy over just about all of it. Tandoori chicken, paneer with Indian (frumunda???) cheese, chicken vindaloo, Mullagatawny soup, etc etc. Some Indian cultures are strictly vegatarian due to religious beliefs. I hoipe to catch you on the air sometime soon so we can expound upon it.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »

[

If it smells like fish, it must be delish!! 

If it smells like vegetables or cologne, leave it alone!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2006, 04:19:04 PM »

A big bowl of pasta with red gravy and brasciole on top

A bottle of good red wine

A female "Goombata" (companion) to cook it up in a pan, and never let you forget you're a man

Life don't get no better than that!

One more thing: Don't forget the cannoli!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »

Frank, it all comes down to whatever floats your dingy...

but I guarantee you this.... I enjoy life just as much as you do even though I don't eat flesh.!!

I think it's sad that you would equate Eating/living healthy to lower quality of life.  Huh

Geeeezzzeee, Some people just dont get it. Glenn, I am not condeming a healthy life style.
I am saying that one of pleasures of life is eating that which you ENJOY eating and enjoying the taste of.

What works for some doesnt work for others. A meal of rabbit food just leaves me wanting for something that satisfies. Rabbit food is fine as part of a balanced diet, but for me it doesnt satisfy the soul. To me, total vegetarianism (try to spell that fast) is like having sex and stopping short of completion!  It may fill the belly but it doesnt satisfy the hunger.

I would rather die at an earlier age and have enjoyed my life, than give up that which enhances the quality to live a few more years. If you love veggies have fun, I'll take a good
 piece of meat any day!!  And remember that not all things that we eat are fattening Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon
                                                                        (with the fat meat shakin!!)

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2006, 04:42:46 PM »

this time of year, we live off the vegaaaatable stands. I used to make a fresh
beefsteak tomato and fresh basil soup to die for. I have good friends down the
street to jog 6 miles a day , and are vegitarian, but they don't have the
i'm-better-than-you attitude some have. tom, i wonder if its msg or something
they stick in the meat?  franks right, getting good meat is key. as i said i moderate
meat, i can't get any good hamburg in the stores. but i had a delicious burger,
first one i've had in a while. the owner gets his hamburg from a place that
caters to fine restaurants. yum. tom the shushi is a real treat for me! no good
shushi here, but a couple good places in tucson. i used to have it once a week
for lunch - yum!

am forever!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2006, 05:10:58 PM »

franks right, getting good meat is key. as i said i moderate
meat, i can't get any good hamburg in the stores.

When I was growing up my mother used to make her own ground beef. It was lean and tasted excellent when grilled. I miss those days and those burgers.

On the subject of grilling there has been some controversy about the proper way to grill.  Meat cooked at a very high temp supposedly can cause the fat to change in a manner that it becomes a carcinogen.  Don't know how true that is but I guess I'll find out at some point.  I do slow cook on a kettle grill and regulate temp just in case but who knows.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »

Tofu and lettuce into the blender and that's it.    I've done the analysis and drawn the curves and that's where it's heading.   I've had to cut out this, eliminate that and reduce the other over the years and tofu and lettuce seems to be where it's  all heading.   Probably no salt either, just a few drops of lemon juice.   But I'm not there yet, happily.

Jon "I live in a state where people ask for extra sprouts"  K

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »

John, IZE metioned spicy food.  Any hot sauce conisuerres?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2006, 08:11:47 AM »

but I guarantee you this.... I enjoy life just as much as you do even though I don't eat flesh.!!

Thats fine, Glenn, as long as your vegetarianism is not some kind of wierd cult type of thing.
Fresh veggies are fine as part of a balanced meal, and quite often enhance the experience.
(my dead animal is always welcome to sit next to a good salad) Lets face it, steak, salad, and a baked potatoe, it doesnt get any more American than that.

However, some veggies are bent pinky wierdos who take it almost to some kind religious cult or something. Those, I have a problem with. After all, if we didnt eat some of the other animals on this planet, we'd be overrun with them.

If you REALLY do enjoy vegetables as your main meal, thats kool, but if you are doing it for some other wacky reason, you are depriving yourself of one of life's geratest pleasures. Make your decisions from your own mind and heart, and not what someone else tries to talk you into!! (my sister in law turned veggie for a while because she thought it was trendy. that didnt last too long)
                                                            The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ed Nesselroad
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2006, 05:45:24 PM »

Slab, I believe Ted Neugent has feelings about this...
W2JTD

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2006, 06:53:55 PM »

Hey Tom 'JJ -

Sorry - didn't comment on the fish. Fish is cool. So's pot roast.  I would eat salmon in a pinch, no prob. Any lean meat, but no hot dogs, sausage or scrapple - if I want lips and assholes, Ill call up some old girlfriends.

Speaking of which, once in a high-spirited dialog with a shapely young lady from London at a bar in Cape May (Congress Hall Hotel, to be exact, in the spring of '06), I was asked, if I was starving, would I eat meat. I answered, hell yes, If I was starving, I would eat you! So how's about a little taste right now, yessiree.

Needless to say, she turned me down. But if I wasn't ugly and had money, that salmon would be on my breath to this very day.

But seriously, I eat a lot of chick peas and rice.

Lot's of room for me in the elevator.

Let's cuss and discuss more on the air. I'll be back on when the cool wx hits.

Moe: Where were you born? Curly: Lake Winnipesaukee. Moe: How do you spell that? Curly: W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie. I got an Uncle there.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »

Hey Tom 'JJ -

Sorry - didn't comment on the fish. Fish is cool. So's pot roast.  I would eat salmon in a pinch, no prob. Any lean meat, but no hot dogs, sausage or scrapple - if I want lips and assholes, Ill call up some old girlfriends.

But seriously, I eat a lot of chick peas and rice.

Let's cuss and discuss more on the air. I'll be back on when the cool wx hits.

Yo Paul,

Yes, chick peas and rice are my favorites too. There sure is a lot in shushi. Do you eat shushi?

OK on the fish. I  enjoy swordfish the most.

Yes, let's look to get together on the air in the late fall. You could probably teach me a lot of stuff about your food style...  Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2006, 11:50:39 PM »

I think the clowns that hacked the site were vegetarians. Ya can't trust any of them!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »

Hey, I love a good NYC Brisket, Pastrami or other deli sandwich... stuffed cabbage...
Pot roast. Yum.
Sirloin, yep.

Kliebasa... yummmm, Bacon, yummy yummy.

Heck man I even like Liver !!

Won't eat it anymore.

No red meat for this boy.

Don't want to live past 80 and have prions eating my brain for lunch... might end up like that anyhow, since the deal seems to be that they last forever. But maybe I didn't get one of those isomered prion molecules in there back in the day and I'm ok, good to go!

Also, don't want Colon cancer either.

The meat tends to stick in the colon, along with the nitrites from the processed meats.
Bad for the Colon.

I'll eat some occasional bird these days. Nothing red.

Also, I don't want dunlop disease either... my bod demands that I stay lean and mean or it revolts quickly and starts to complain in all sorts of nasty ways...

If you know how to cook, you can do rather nice stuff without red meat.

"...man's gotta know his limitations..." C. Eastwood

Grin

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »

.....Also, don't want Colon cancer either.

The meat tends to stick in the colon, along with the nitrites from the processed meats.
Bad for the Colon. .....

All the more reason to drink Guiness and beers of that nature.  They'll flush you out.  And on a more serious note get a backend exam whether you're a meat eater or not.  I had my first one at the age of 35 because of a gut pain I was having. Turned out to be a hernia but I didn't know what to expect procedure-wise being the first time or what to expect as an end result.  The worst thing about the procedure was not eating for 24 hours. That sucked. The procedure itself was nothing and IMO worth the initial discomfort and  in trade for the piece of mind.  I wouldn't blink if my doctor told me to have one again.  I'm due.

Visit the doctor and get checkups!!! 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2006, 03:35:38 PM »

speaking of salmon, went to pick some up here in vt, 8.99 a lb! usually get it
for 3.99 to 5.99, passed it by. Tom, has the shushi prices gone up? won't have
any, until I get back to Tucson (its lousy here)

am forever!
John Holotko

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2006, 07:21:42 PM »

Thats fine, Glenn, as long as your vegetarianism is not some kind of wierd cult type of thing.

Most veggies are pretty normal folks. No cults, weird religions,etc. Yeah i dig meat, give me some italian sausage, a nice bragiole marinated in a good sauce. Lamb, veal, chicken next to some pasta does it for me. So does franks and burgers on the gril. But I can also dig the veggie scene. I do it weeks on end. Red beans, hot chiles onions, celery and rice.  Good stuff. I could live on veggies alone. But I like a slice of flesh now and then.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2006, 08:08:57 PM »

Also, don't want Colon cancer either.

Bad for the Colon.

An appropriate amount of fiber and testrone injections will offset both.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2006, 08:59:45 PM »

Hey Frank, my Sister reports she and my Dad are in heavy pickled egg plant production.
She did convince him to use the outside grill this time.
He mentioned today they may have to buy some commerical cause garden can't support effort.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2006, 07:46:40 AM »

Hey Frank, my Sister reports she and my Dad are in heavy pickled egg plant production.
She did convince him to use the outside grill this time.
He mentioned today they may have to buy some commerical cause garden can't support effort.

WOW!!  I"ll be there!!

I did traditional American this weekend, ribs and chicken on the grill, slathered in BBQ sauce, baked spuds wrapped and thrown into the coals. Quite yummy!! Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:20 PM »

I would eat tofu if it was the last thing on earth.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2006, 12:30:28 PM »

I would eat tofu if it was the last thing on earth.

Real men dont eat tofu!! (or quiche for that matter)

WA1GFZ

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2006, 02:29:36 PM »

or foam insulation
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015