The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is Kurt Sterba and What Do you Think of His Work?  (Read 13890 times)
W1UJR
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:30:57 AM »

This posting came to me when I was discussing KA1KAQ’s 160 meter experiment, thought it worthy of its own post.

Lately I have been rereading my "Aerials" and "Aerials II" books by Kurt Sterba.
I found myself laughing and learning as much the 2nd time around as the first, one of the better written and more entertaining radio books which I have read.

Technically, he seems right on, he quotes Maxwell W2DU and other respected authors.
A tad acerbic, but guess one would get that way from all the “hooey” floating around about antennas and feedlines.

Perhaps some of the antenna gurus, K1JJ – hint, hint, have thoughts on this.
I’m most curious what the group thinks of him.
I know that he writes under a pen name, wonder if his real identity has been unmasked?

- 73 Bruce W1UJR
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:44:59 AM »

I read his columns religiously in WorldRadio, and I have both his books.   Great writer, and knowledgeable.

Who is he?  A few years ago, I used to think that he was Lew McCoy, but he died in July, 2000. He was 84. 

Who else?  Jack Belrose, VE2CV?  He's a prodigious author on antennas.

I really don't know.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
WB2CAU

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:31:32 PM »

I always suspected it was Walter Maxwell, W2DU. 

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:34:22 PM »

I always suspected it was Walter Maxwell, W2DU. 

Good guess; he's ascerbic enough!

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:14:36 PM »

A quick Google search turned this up from the contesting reflector, Oct. 1998:
"I have had several calls today answering my question about "Kurt N.
Sterba".  All answers were affirmative.  They all said that "Kurt" is Peter
Onnigian (W6QEU)."

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 06:56:23 AM »

A quick Google search turned this up from the contesting reflector, Oct. 1998:
"I have had several calls today answering my question about "Kurt N.
Sterba".  All answers were affirmative.  They all said that "Kurt" is Peter
Onnigian (W6QEU)."

Interesting indeed Pete!
I'll have to check into it a bit more, but may also write him and thank him for his efforts, he's a delight to read.
I've learned a huge amount of antenna and feedline theory from his work, simple, direct and easy to read.
There is seems to be some error in his QRZ bio, he lists a birthdate of "1936" but then gives his age as "85".

Should Sterba really be W6QEU, I found the following:

From the NCCC Newsletter at http://nccc.cc/jug/jug04jan.pdf

The Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE) bestowed the honor of Fellow to Peter Onnigian, W6QEU, last month.
He was licensed in 1938 and worked first for Western Air Express as a CWoperator- before the days of teletypes !
After VJ Day, he was in 9V1, operating as HS1SS. Three antenna patents bear his name, including one of the first
wireless mikes, a highly balanced method of feeding dipoles, and a circularly polarized FM broadcasting antenna currently
in use by more than 95% of all FM broadcasting stations around the world.

FROM QRZ

W6QEU    USA   Lookups: 2371
PETER K ONNIGIAN
1236 40TH AVE
SACRAMENTO CA 95822
USA

WHO IS THIS GUY? Licensed in l936 while in high school as W6QEU, FCC first phone and 2nd telegraph in l938. CW operator for Western Airlines, then Yale University, World War II, 1st Lt. Army Airways Communications System (AACS) serving in India and Singapore. Returned l946, back into broadcast engineering, AM, FM, stations, Chief Engineer Sacramento TV station in 1954.

Founded Jampro Antennas l959, designing and manufacturing AM, FM and TV broadcast antennas, selling them world-ide. Granted patent #3,541,570 in l967 for first circularly polarized FM station antenna which is now being made by 17 firms!

A registered California Electrical Engineer (#7723) he's a member of many professional organizations including Society of Broadcst Engineers (SBEFellow), Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE)Antennas & Propagation Society, and IEEE Antenna Measurement Techniques Association (Senior member). Delivered 17 antenna papers during annual conventions of National Association of Broadcasters nationwide convention, plus two at International Broadcast Conventions (IBC)in Europe. Contributed three chapters on FM broadcast antennas in McGraw Hill's NAB Broadcast Engineering Handbooks in l963,1976 and l980 editions

An active member of the Northern California Contest Club (NCCC) and the Central California DX Club (CCDXC). Now at age 85 he is an avid CW and SSB contester. Located on a small suburban lot in Sacramento, CA, W6QEU uses a 40 foot self supporting tower with three, four-element monobanders on 10, 15, and 20 meters, a fan wire dipole for 40M and a loaded 80M dipole. All SASE QSL cards are promptly answered.
Bio last modified: 2006-03-11
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 01:32:36 PM »

Interesting indeed Pete!
I'll have to check into it a bit more, but may also write him and thank him for his efforts, he's a delight to read.
I've learned a huge amount of antenna and feedline theory from his work, simple, direct and easy to read.
There is seems to be some error in his QRZ bio, he lists a birthdate of "1936" but then gives his age as "85".

I’ve found that people who write under a pseudonym generally don’t want, or aren’t looking for, acknowledgement, thanks, or a job well done directly back to them. What's the point of a pen name if everyone "knows your real name".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 05:57:42 PM »

I’ve found that people who write under a pseudonym generally don’t want, or aren’t looking for, acknowledgement, thanks, or a job well done directly back to them. What's the point of a pen name if everyone "knows your real name".

Could also prevent a lot of company executives and engineers contacting you at home wilth all sort of complaints.
W2JBL

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:56:38 PM »

best damn antenna colum in ham radio. i give his stuff out to new hams (and veterans too!) to back up what i teach them, and what they read here. Krusty Kurt ROCKS!
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »

best damn antenna colum in ham radio. i give his stuff out to new hams (and veterans too!) to back up what i teach them, and what they read here. Krusty Kurt ROCKS!

Hi Chris, ah yes, Krusty Kurt.
Do you know if he is still writing?
I have not read any of his recent work.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 10:00:26 AM »

Hes still wrighting? Didn't know he was still alive. Last I heard it was curtains for him.... klc

What? Me worry?
W2JBL

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 08:45:39 PM »

i subscribe to World Radio just to get the Kurt colum. he's still in there every month. the amtemma manufacturers probably don't like him much, and i love it!
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 11:17:23 PM »

Hes still wrighting? Didn't know he was still alive. Last I heard it was curtains for him.... klc
Kurt N.'s?  That's de-Sterbaing.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015