The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:20:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonder if this was on 3878?  (Read 2686 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: July 09, 2006, 12:48:55 PM »

Heard on 75

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 12:58:27 PM »

Almost as good as some of the 3878 classics!

"Them boys is runnin' AM and sideband at the same time!"

"And they** put that squeal on their signal just to annoy us!"

** They are the AMers, and the squeal stupidly referred to was nothing more the the AM carrier heterodyning with the BFO in their transceiver.

These idiots would be hilarious, if it weren't so sad.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 08:14:09 AM »

This is why I got rid of my 2 meter FM rigs back in 1985. Too much dupid!  Roll Eyes

... I can't imagine what it's like today!  Shocked

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 08:22:16 AM »

I actually heard one of the knuckle draggers say one night: "they're doin a double wide, am and sideband at the same time."

Go figger, with that level of mentality why argue with them.

One of the many parables of "Murphys law" states: "Never argue with a fool, sooner or later no one will be able to tell the difference!"
                                                                     The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:38:58 AM »

I actually heard one of the knuckle draggers say one night: "they're doin a double wide, am and sideband at the same time."

The first time I heard that one was about 10 years ago on 160.  A bunch of ex-CB slopbucketeers (still giving their "personals" and discussing "ghost talking" in the course of their QSO's) decided to settle on 1888 over the summer.  Then they began to piss 'n moan late in the season as the QRN began to subside, and AM signals began "throwing carriers" ever more regularly near 1885.  It soon became a full-blown battle as they had all assumed that they had already staked their claim and therefore "owned the channel."

One night I was talking with Tom, W4UOC in Atlanta, who was using a DX-100.  After we were well into our QSO the 1888 bunch came on, much  in the same style as the 3878 bunch on 75 (not the same group of in-breeds).  During the ensuing battle, I overhead one of the slopbucketeers make the remark: "The guy in Atlanta is running AM.  But that big strong one up in TN is running AM and sideband at the same time.  I don't know how he does it, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal."

Eventually that group moved their slopbucket CB channel somewhere down below 1870.  But in the meantime, the vanity callsign program went into effect.  Right away most of the members of this slopbucket group appeared with W4- 1 X 2 callsigns.  That demonstrated to me not only that the Extra class had become meaningless (this was even before the 5 wpm code test), but that a 1 X 2 call with a W prefix no longer carried any significance whatsoever.  I had been entertaining the idea of applying for some kind of W4xx call, but had agonised over giving up my long-held existing call that everyone knew me by.  This was the final nail in the coffin to that idea.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015