The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leeds Radio in NYC  (Read 4057 times)
Don, W2DL

« on: June 15, 2006, 10:05:31 AM »

This is for the old buzzards who remember the golden days of radio row in lower NYC before construction of the World Trade Center wiped out the whole area.. There was Terminal radio, Harrison Radio, Arrow Elect., and then there was Leed's radio. Leed's had almost everything one could ask for, even if it took an hour to find it under all the junque.  Well, Leed's Radio still lives! After 1967 it moved to Brooklyn, and was run by the same folks until maybe 3 yrs ago, when a fairly young but incredibly knowledgeable man by the name of Richard Matthews bought it. I went there yesterday, spent two hours, and found it to be the same Leeds we all knew and loved. Jam packed with stuff, and I mean a LOT of stuff. No WWII rigs anymore, but when it comes to parts usable for AM rigs  if you know what you want he probably can locate it in the "stuff". For instance, he has the unavailable Amphenol 80M-2M mike plugs for Collins, and other rigs, the box I saw had perhaps 500 of these items in it. I needed a 10V 10A fil xfmr for a new 833A final I'm working on, and sure enough, he had it - and more than just this one - brand new in box by Thordarson.  He has pwr xfmrs from LV stuff (250-0-250 @ 80 ma, lots of these) up to high power (1300 - 1500 - 1800 V each side of Ct at 225 ma CCS rating, maybe five of these). Also, many (MANY) audio xfmrs for interstage/driver use. He had only one mod xfmr, rated 50 W by Collins (but looked more like 150 W.) RF chokes, large WW res, sockets of all kinds, and on and on. He is very conversant about parts, and really knows what he has. If you know what you want, he may well have it. Look at his sort-of web page (click on "X"'s to see just a small fraction of what he has) and order info at  http://www.leedsradio.com
He isn't giving anything away, but he knows current prices and seems to be somewhat below many I've seen. If you take subway he's 3 blocks west on 7th street from Bedford Ave station on the 14th st line. He's open Monday through Wednesday, closed Thursday, then open Friday and Saturday. Better call first, he tends to take lunch hours at odd times. He does mail/phone orders so if you're not in the area you can call him, see if he has what you need, and he'll get it out to you. Trust me, most of his business is shipped - it took some time to find his location even when I had the address!

Don, W2DL

Don, W2DL
57years a ham!!
Warren
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:40:16 PM »

Hi Don,
  There was quite a thread about Leeds on this board about a year or so ago. See:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=5664.msg42786#msg42786
and the various replies below it.

73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 06:07:58 PM »

Great site!!
Looks like you can order on-line.

fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print