The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:30:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Those Sixes!  (Read 31179 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »

Bugle
Larado

Are you man enough to try it?
Smokes sweat, cant bite...
Should a gentleman offer a lady the cigar?

Tempo Teddy, tempo...

What? Me worry?
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2006, 11:55:15 PM »

Smells like fish? Tongue

ROTFLMAO!
Thanks, I needed that.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2006, 12:17:55 AM »

Red Rose Tea commercial beats the trunk monkey anyday....

What? Me worry?
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2006, 08:44:09 AM »

Bill displayed:

Bill, the first time, (and only time for that matter) I had 'Rocky Mountain Oysters' was when I attended a 'Gonutz Party' at the State Armory in Greenley. It was all you could eat for $3.50 and they weren't too bad, (of course plenty of Coors made it easier). The locals said I did alright for an 'East Coast Flatlander' Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
NE4AM

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2006, 09:12:47 PM »

Motors rated,   110 VAC 25-60 CPS / 110 V. DC. " (When did 25 Hz power go away?
Who used it last?)

25 hz is still around.  The hydro plant in Keokuk IA still produces it, and sends it all the way down to St. Louis to a electroplater who doesn't want to spring for new 60 hz iron.

73 - Dave
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2006, 11:09:28 PM »

25 hz is still around.  The hydro plant in Keokuk IA still produces it, and sends it all the way down to St. Louis to a electroplater who doesn't want to spring for new 60 hz iron.

I'd sure like to kow more about that! That would be a good magazine article...
But you'd think that 25 Hz iron would work on 60 Hz Ok, but not the other way around.
Maybe the hydro is still doing 25 HZ because they don't or can't change the old-timey generators. There's an old, old hydro near here that's still using turbines and generators made 100 years ago. Some of the first AC that Westinghouse made. The plant op told me that if you kept the oil cups full on the bearings, that stuff would run forever. Not a lot of capacity, iirc only 100 KW, but it's absolutely free power so they keep the place running.

The only other place I ever heard of 25 Hz power being used was when I was a kid in Chicago, someone mentioned that transportation there had used 25 Hz power until the 1960s. I don't remember if it was the old electric street cars and busses or the L.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2006, 01:59:13 AM »

Don, I had chitlins not long ago at a Chicago soul food restaurant. And cornbread, beans and greens braised in bacon or ham grease. Sounds gross but all very tasty.
A lot of folks around here eat menudo, it's supposed to be a cure for a hangover. I've been too cowardly to try it.

Actually, if chetterlings are cooked properly, they taste pretty good.  But they contain lotsa fat - about like dipping pure lard outta the can with a spoon. 

Cornbread and beans are yummy. But the cornbread has to be just white cornmeal, with a little dab of salt, soda and baking powder, and buttermilk.  That stuff with yeggs and wheat flour added isn't real cornbread.

I just today cooked up a batch of collard greens I picked right from my veg garden.  I used diced pieces of ham stripped from a leftover bone, instead of bacon or grease.  Just let them cook till tender.  Can't get much closer to heaven without being there.  I like turnip greens about as well, too.

Ethiopian food (some people might think that term is an oxymoron, but the food is out-of-this-world delicious), spiced with berbere, is an excellent cure for a hangover.  A few years ago I discovered an Ethiopian restaurant on the main drag that goes through the middle of Denver.  Don't remember the name of the street, but the restaurant was on the righthand side of the street as you are heading west, right in the middle of the downtown commercial section.  Wonder if it's still there.  Just tell them to spice up the stew so that it is even hotter than the way they eat it back home in Ethiopia.  My favourite is called wat, a beef or goat stew spiced with berebere (a special blend of hot peppers).  There is also doro wat, which is a chicken stew  cooked with the same spices.  With it comes njera, a type of sourdough which is the staple food of Ethiopia; it looks like a sponge, about the size of a large pizza, and about a quarter-inch thick, somewhat like a pancake.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2006, 08:50:06 AM »

Don said:
Actually, if chetterlings are cooked properly, they taste pretty good.  But they contain lotsa fat - about like dipping pure lard outta the can with a spoon. 

Cornbread and beans are yummy. But the cornbread has to be just white cornmeal, with a little dab of salt, soda and baking powder, and buttermilk.  That stuff with yeggs and wheat flour added isn't real cornbread.

I just today cooked up a batch of collard greens I picked right from my veg garden.  I used diced pieces of ham stripped from a leftover bone, instead of bacon or grease.  Just let them cook till tender.  Can't get much closer to heaven without being there.  I like turnip greens about as well, too.

When I was in the Navy, it was customary to celebrate something every month and have a special meal on the mess decks as a tribute. For example, Latino month, Philipino month, well you get the picture. In Feb, we celebrated 'Black History Month' by having fried chicken, black-eyed peas, collard greens, chetterlings, and watermelon. We had one Afro-American in my shop that couldn't believe they did this! But it took about a month to get rid of the smell of pig shit off the mess decks. Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w1guh
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2006, 12:59:59 AM »

Just a couple things..

FIZZIES!!!  Made a darn fine drink on the trail.  Some ice cold spring water and a fizzie...(almost) like carring a heavy can of soda up the mountain.

And...ignition switches on the dashboard?

Fuggedaboutit....

How about a START button separate from the ignition switch...or....even better...

the starter was a plunger in the floor, e.g., your foot powered the solenoid.

Somebody else mentioned coal furnaces and bins...

But...when AM broadcasting was music...how about when the DJ put on a cohesive show, with opening and closing themes, and some continuity throughout?  I last heard that in '63.

w1guh
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 01:05:21 AM »

Forgot a major 50's thing.

Polio

Dr. Jonas Salk is a saint.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2006, 09:50:08 AM »

Or menudo?

You got me. What's "menudo"? It means "small change" in Spanish and it is also the name of a Puerto Rican pop group that was big about 20 years ago, but I never heard the word used as the name of a food.

Menudo is a Mexican tripe stew.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2006, 04:04:55 PM »

Remember?

Bath-tub Mercuries (49-51)
'57 Chevies
Police Cars that were station wagons and also doubled as ambulances.
15 cent (kids price) matinee movies
5 cent comic books and candy bars
ball point pens that were the newest thing and cost 2 bucks each (lot of money in the 50's)
Nash cars with fold-down seats (best xxxxing cars on the road)
Hudsons
Kaisers and Frasiers
car club license plates dangling from the back bumper
exhaust cut-outs with removable plates
"baby moons"
reverb units on AM radio rear speakers
life without political correctness (and nobody cared)
discipline and decorum in the public schools (everybody cared)

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2006, 08:01:08 PM »

Remember?

73,  Jack, W9GT

How about mercury *batteries*..?
They were fantastic.

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2006, 11:02:48 AM »

Remember?

73,  Jack, W9GT

How about mercury *batteries*..?
They were fantastic.

Whoa....that could start a whole new wave of recollections about life and freedom before all of the "environmentalist over-reactions" to anything that could possibly pollute or harm us if we failed to use common sense.

Such as:  remember PCBs?. wrinkle paint(the good old kind), mercury thermometers, anything with mercury in it including batteries and 866s, domestic oil production and excess refining capability,  etc, etc

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2006, 12:35:07 PM »

This may have been late fifties, definitely early sixties. I can remember the shortwave freq. filler tune by two trumphets (or French horns) harmonizing.  Heard it over and over. Memorized the notes. Hmmm, can't remember the station. From the Soviet bloc, pretty sure. Only two stanzas, both ending with lower noted 'echo.' Checkz or East German?

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015