The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:22:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racal RA 17 MK II C3 Manual  (Read 7174 times)
kd5cpl
« on: May 28, 2006, 11:45:47 PM »

Hi--
Anyone know of a source for a manual for a Racal RA 17 MK II C3 receiver? I found several places to get one for the RA 17L, RA 117, and the British version of the RA 17, but don't know if the British version manual would include the North American version.

I recently acquired one of these receivers in not-so-perfect condition. It is missing the RF amp tube, V3. I can't seem to find the correct tube list for this model on the internet. The receiver also has had some wires removed from the meter switch that I'll need a schematic to re-connect.

BAMA has one for a RA 17L, but only the front page wants to load up.  I don't think that manual would cover this model anyway. If anyone knows where to find one for this model, I'd appreciate the info. THe manual dealers I've dealt with in the past don't list one foe this exact model.

73;
Gary KD5CPL
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 10:33:02 AM »

Hi Gary,

Nice receiver, I own an RA-17 C-12 with the RA-137 LF converter. The C-12 is the US tube version. I have no idea what the difference is between C-12 and MK-2 C-3. According to my manual a MK-2 is a British military model with British "valves".

Tube (valve) 3 in the C-12 (US version) is a 6ES8 RF amplifier. In the RA-17 MK-2, tube 3 is a CV3998.

I'll help with a scan of the manual I have if it will help. I suspect if yours is an MK-2 with US tubes someone has substituted US tubes in place of CV's.

Mike
W8BAC
kd5cpl
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:19:36 PM »

Hi Mike--
Thanks for the info and the offer! Before you go to the trouble of scanning your manual that's probably LOTS of pages, I'll do a little more checking to see if it might help. I read a few pieces on RA 17's on the internet this afternoon (without finding the correct manual) and learned a little about these.

Keith's Vintage Racal Site states that an RA 17 C3 is "standard American style model with silicon power rectifier and 75 ohm wideband termination".  This one has those features, with UHF type coaxial connectors which appear original. I also saw somewhere that this radio is also known as an AN/URR 501 in the US Military. The C3 model apparently was the basis for all North American models thru C11, C2 thru C11 each being slightly different in one way or another. The RA 17C12 like yours was the next "big step" improvement that variants thru C26 were based on. Different screw threads and 1W if audio are the changes mentioned from the C12 model on.

I think you're correct on V3 being a 6ES8, but all I could find was a North American    tube list so far, and it didn't specify which "C" model it was. The tube list for the "NA" unit MOSTLY matches what I have in this one. I need to check to see if the ones that are different are subs or equivalents.

I'll do a little more digging, hate to have you scan your manual until I'm sure it will be what I need.

Guess I should have found an RA 117---just about everything for them is on the internet including the manual!

73; Gary KD5CPL
kd5cpl
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:25:03 PM »

Hi--
Mike, if you're still wiling to scan your C12 manual, it will probably help me get this one going. I havent been able to find one for my exact receiver so far, even Toronto Surplus who advertises RA17 C3's for sale. The British sites seem to have the European version but not american.  The C12 manual should have enough in common with this rig to check the basics and get the meter switch wires back up correctly.

If you are still willing to scan yours, I'd appreciate it. If you can't or don't have time I understand.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »

Hi Gary,

Not a problem. I'm away on a business trip until the end of the month (June). When I get home I will make a really nice copy for you. Let me know if your address is good @ QRZ.com. I'll send it to you soon. Do you want the LF stuff too?

Mike
kd5cpl
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 11:09:45 PM »

Hi Mike--
I really appreciate this. The address on QRZ should be correct, but I'll double check it. I Shouldn't need the LF stuff, mine is not a LF receiver. Hope I can return the favor someday!

73; Gary

P.S. -- Nice piece you did last year on the W8GLW shack/history, etc. I too saw the original Ebay listing and wondered if it was for real. Great work!
bavradio
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »

Hello Gary and all here, I also have a Racal RA17MKII/C3 and need the schematic, particularloy the IF strip. Thanks!! Ross W1EKG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015