The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Da Well Tempered Kitchen Kilowatt  (Read 10090 times)
W1UJR
« on: May 02, 2006, 05:15:36 PM »

Located in Cheery, Beautiful Downtown Randloph, VT

* DSC03893.JPG (418.53 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 870 times.)
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 06:38:37 PM »

I hear that Collins is a real *hot* receiver.....

Todd had a FB OM sig here in RI this morning.  Nice to hear him back on the air.

W2ILA
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:43:17 PM »

The wife was looking over my shoulder....  mumbled somthing about grounds for divorce....

(somethingtokeepinmind)

What? Me worry?
wa2zdy
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »

As I read the title I was reminded of an old classical harpsichord LP called "Well Tempered Clavier."  I was quite surprised to see a heat tempered Collins receiver!

Kinda reminds me of an ex girlfriend who sat on my electric range once in a drunken state.  We don't call her tempered though; we call her "branded."

Nice KW1 indeed.  One day I hope to see one in person.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 07:48:09 PM »

The wife was looking over my shoulder....  mumbled somthing about grounds for divorce....

They are always looking for an excuse.  Just be sure you hang on to your ham gear!

(somethingtokeepinmind)
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:01:28 PM »

They are always looking for an excuse.  Just be sure you hang on to your ham gear!

My Wife: "good excuse to go out for dinner each night  Cheesy"

David, K3TUE
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 10:52:44 AM »

I need to rub some oil on that piggy! Bruce's camera has too many pixels, it shows just how scruffy the paint is on the xmtr. Of course, paint doesn't make it transmit any better...

(somethingtokeepinmind)

Ha! I'm safe in that respect, being single (for now). But when the YL was visiting in late March, she actually wanted me to set it up so she could see it all work (I had just gotten back on 40 meters the week before). She thought it was great, and when I started to tear it down to move everything back to its proper place, she said "Why don't you just leave it set up? You hardly use the stove anyway". True enough, the gas grill is way too convenient. Smiley So, since the 'UJR visit when everything got moved back out, Studio K has stayed set up and active.

I did smarten up and put a pizza box under the receiver. Protects the case, and also makes it easier to slide around for adjustments.

Tnx for the report, Tom - looking forward to some 300G talk with you at the 'fester.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 09:07:57 PM »

Now that's what I call a bachelor ham's room divider, Phil!  Good job!

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 10:17:11 PM »

I true batchelor would get rid of the kitchen table and eat over the sink... more room for stuff.......    an ex --

What? Me worry?
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 08:40:50 AM »

Phil has a Gates BC-1T on the other side, directly across from the two Collins 20V's! Definitely makes for good room decor. All three are hooked up and ready to "sing for their supper" at a moments notice.

Broadcast transmitters are like jello - There's always room for more!

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
N8ECR
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 09:10:23 AM »

Hear is my Kitchen shack, forget about the kitchen table, I haven't ate at it in years, I think it is still there, under all the ....Mess of radio goodies...Hi Hi. Undecided

http://members.aol.com/w9amr/web/N8ECR.HTM
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 09:25:27 AM »

Hear is my Kitchen shack, forget about the kitchen table, I haven't ate at it in years, I think it is still there, under all the ....Mess of radio goodies...Hi Hi. Undecided

http://members.aol.com/w9amr/web/N8ECR.HTM

Mike - That BTA5-H, and the rest of your shack gives me major wood! Most definitely kewlbeanerz!
Regards,
           Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 10:08:46 AM »

[Since I don't have much counter space, I use the kitchen table for mixing things when I cook or bake. I seldom eat out (too expensive).

Phil,
     Kitchen counters also lend themselves nicely as workbenches. Your oven can be used to cure transformer shellac after you've re-dipped them, and general household blenders lend themselves nicely to mix epoxy and other adhesives.

Optionally, you can place two large plate transformers next to each other and sit a box containing a tomato pie on them. You can have a large modulation choke positioned to support your cold 807, an ashtray and pack of Chesterfields. That's dining at it's "al fresco" finest. Tune your old Stromberg-Carlson console to a local country music station, feed your transmitter whilst feeding your face. All you'll need is a nice female for companionship and to get you a tool or two that aren't within your reach, and to keep the 807's flowing.

After dinner you can modulate your transmitter, then you two can practice a sinusoidal waveform to the beat of counrty music on the old Stromberg Carlson.

Who says us Hams don't know how to be highly romantical???

Regards,
           Joe Cro N3IBX   

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 02:28:17 PM »

Optionally, you can place two large plate transformers next to each other and sit a box containing a tomato pie on them. You can have a large modulation choke positioned to support your cold 807, an ashtray and pack of Chesterfields. That's dining at it's "al fresco" finest. After dinner you can modulate your transmitter, then you two can practice a sinusoidal waveform to the beat of counrty music on the old Stromberg Carlson.

Only two problems:
1. I can do without the Chesterfields. At $5.70 a pack in NJ, I'd rather use the money for feeding my face! No nicotine stains on my gear and I don't stink up the house!

2. We don't have an AM country station in my area. The nearest one is WNJC near Vineland, but it has a sucky signal into my area. If I can dig up one of those old FM converters that they used to use for car radios, that would work fine for picking up "Cat Country" from Atlantic City. Or I could just pad down the output of my FM tuner, mix it down to mono (or run the tuner in mono mode), and run that into the phono input on the Stromberg-Carlson.

There is a nice oldies station at 1340 AM in Atlantic City and it puts a potent signal into my NJ home. Now...if I can get a significant other who likes oldies, home cooking (I make my own spaghetti sauce from scratch), and wine with a nice Italian meal (some of the Slab Bacon's 'dago red' would go nicely)...or a REAL 807 (not that diluted "light beer" crap) with a German meal...

What's that expression? Acqua fresca, vino puro, signorina bella e un gotz duro?

Or, for the German side, Wenn's Arscherl brummt ist's Herzl gesund!

Bella Signorina no gotz a "Stugotz"!

Acqua Fresca
Vino puro
Fica Streeta
Con un gotz duro!

also:

Tromba di culo
Sanita du corpo!

Translated: The trumpet sounds that come out of your hiney sanitize the intestine!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 10:23:11 AM »

Tromba di culo
Sanita du corpo!

Translated: The trumpet sounds that come out of your hiney sanitize the intestine!

Or, Joe, to translate Phil's German, "When the hiney hums, the heart is healthy."

I love 'em both!!

K2 Very Healthy

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »

Tromba di culo
Sanita du corpo!

Or, Joe, to translate Phil's German, "When the hiney hums, the heart is healthy."

I love 'em both!!

K2 Very Healthy

Dear K2 Very Healthy,
                             Both sayings are fit to be printed on a T-Shirt!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Gary-N2ACX
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 07:12:41 PM »

Cheesy  Hi to Joe,  N3IBX  talked to you on 160M not long ago, first contact on 160.... with my inverted 'L'.
  Sure like seeing all these great receivers and transmitters. Congrats to all you guys who are preserving this equipment and using it. Wish I had the room for this gear but unfortunantly I don't.
  The only 'kilowatt" I have around here is when I use my room heater in the winter, hihi.  I'll be looking for an  HF amp however in the near future.
 I must come in here more often.......73  Gary
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 07:46:42 AM »

Cheesy  Hi to Joe,  N3IBX  talked to you on 160M not long ago, first contact on 160.... with my inverted 'L'.
  Sure like seeing all these great receivers and transmitters. Congrats to all you guys who are preserving this equipment and using it. Wish I had the room for this gear but unfortunantly I don't.
  The only 'kilowatt" I have around here is when I use my room heater in the winter, hihi.  I'll be looking for an  HF amp however in the near future.
 I must come in here more often.......73  Gary

Hello Gary and a hearty welcome to the AMBBS! It was great talking to you on 160 Metros, and hope to hear you there and on 75 and 40M in the near future (AM of course!). I think you'll find the BBS a wealth of information and will get answers to any question you may have. Even moreso on the bands.

If you hear me on the band(s) please make your presence known. I'll be looking forward to talking to you again.

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015