The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:14:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So who IS planning on going to Hosstraders?  (Read 31162 times)
xe1yzy

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2006, 09:14:45 PM »

I am looking for an UGLY SX-100 or Viking II. Cosmetics not at all important but must funtion. I want to mate it up wit my bfugly NC-50 that was in a fire

If anyone has one they want to bring up to Hosschester let me know

Hey Carl!

Humm, I have one very nice Viking II, with an external VFO, I can gived to you as a gift, just make some extra space in your baggage in your next trip to Mexico.

Unfortunatly I cant make this year to Hosstraders  Sad

Best regards!

Pedro XE1YZY

TVI WHAT TVI?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2006, 03:38:45 PM »

I can gived to you as a gift, just make some extra space in your baggage in your next trip to Mexico.

Unfortunatly I cant make this year to Hosstraders  Sad

Best regards!

Pedro XE1YZY

Hi Pedro,
Sorry I missed this post. Thanks for the offer but I can't imagine bringing a Viking II through customs. Bad enough I almost got caught with cigars one time!

You missed a good Hosstraders with some nice New England wx on Friday. I could not believe it but there were no butt ugly Vikings or DX-100s! Must be the first time in 10 years.

I will be in MX City in mid June. Have one business trip to Puebla set up, but do not think we will be getting to Queretaro this trip so we may not be able to have an eyeball. Besides I would have other people from the office with me if we go that far out.

Hope you and the family are well and all settled in at the new QTH.

By the way, your profile lists you as a female. Did anything else change since I had dinner with you last year?

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »

Mike,
You and Mark missed out on a good feed chased down with pickled egg plant.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 12:46:56 PM »

Were there any 5100/5100B's up there (butt ugly or otherwise?)

I did'nt see any. Very few Am transmitters this time. Enough NC-125s to open a National Store.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 08:18:27 PM »

What a crappy night for hostraders usually the day before mother's day.
I bought my gift last week on the way home....
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 09:08:38 PM »

Looking through the posts, I see very little discussion about the actual hamfest. Talking with two vendors who went to this thing, their opinion was that customer attendance was down, vendor attendance was down, and not a lot of great bargains or even a lot of “good” equipment floating around. Both vendors traveled about 300 miles to get there and both said it was a waste of two days of time and expense.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 10:57:55 PM »

Pete,

Yep, on Friday afternoon and even Saturday there were rare times when you could look down a long asile and see only a few people. It sure wasn't like years ago when we would have trouble getting near a table on Saturday morning.

Many commented on the low attendance being caused by the gas prices, or the threat of rain the past week, eBay, the aging ham population, the internet, etc.

It's funny, cuz I thought this was one of the very best HossTraders I've attended. It's really all about the people and less about the gear. It all depends upon whether you have all the junk you need or want more. Most of the AMers were there for the fun, so we made it happen.

BTW, I've been axed why I've spent less time on the air lately. This should explain a few things:

* K1JJ16.jpg (15.52 KB, 214x300 - viewed 519 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2006, 12:44:51 PM »

Looking through the posts, I see very little discussion about the actual hamfest.

QTF?

What posts are you (obviously not) reading? What crucial information is missing, here? Read the posts in this section alone and you can determine: the weather was great, the food was fantastic, everybody had a good time, there were some good deals to be had, W1E was a big hit with everyone, some moron picked a fight with me, there are tons of pictures available... and we haven't discussed the hamfest?

If you want an itemized inventory of everything for sale, go to the hamfest!

Talking with two vendors who went to this thing, their opinion was that customer attendance was down, vendor attendance was down, and not a lot of great bargains or even a lot of “good” equipment floating around. Both vendors traveled about 300 miles to get there and both said it was a waste of two days of time and expense.

Nobody put a gun to their heads and told them they had to go, Pete. Boo hoo for them if it didn't live up to their expectations, the hamfest isn't there for their benefit.

Hint: the only vendors most of us care about are the ones selling food! If you want to buy a shiny new ricebox or a G5RV kit, you don't need a hamfest for that. What exactly were your pals selling?

Last fall was a complete washout, almost nobody showed up, including most of the food vendors, and these people are complaining that the attendance was down this time?

I repeat: QTF?

You can tell your vendor buddies that attendance was great, the weather was great, there were some good deals to be had, and that they can stay home next time. It would certainly be a more constructive use of your time than getting on here to piss and moan about being disappointed with a hamfest you didn't even attend!

Think about it.

--Thom
Keep Away One Zero Grounds Complaint
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2006, 03:32:32 PM »

Pete,

Yep, on Friday afternoon and even Saturday there were rare times when you could look down a long asile and see only a few people. It sure wasn't like years ago when we would have trouble getting near a table on Saturday morning.

Agree that there were less people, but you know what, I sold and bought just as much as I always have

The advantage is that with the smaller crowds you can get to see stuff and look under the tables where the good stuff lays. I hate fests where you feel like cattle being hearded past the table.

Will be at Dayton next wee k and am looking forward to see how that goes.

– Plus I picked up a great TX-1 to flip on to eBay- Oh never mind that was my uncle Petes-

Carl

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006, 04:40:42 PM »

I was more into socializing and meeting the AM crowd more so than shopping however, I did spend some time looking around the various tables and there was some good stuff to be had.  I didn't buy anthing but there was a fair share of good stuff parts wise.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015