The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:00:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So who IS planning on going to Hosstraders?  (Read 31161 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 10:57:28 AM »

Just spoke with Dirk WA2CYT and John K1DEU

Both vow to be there.

No?HuhHuh??

The Dirk-A-Tron, this promises to be a rare treat indeed!

He suuure was whistling a different tune this morning! You'd better roll tape the next time, Paul. Dirk has no recollection of this vow. According to Bruce, he has a number of lawnmowers lined up and awaiting service...  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 11:33:37 AM »

I dunno Todd, here's the scene -- I broke into an existing QSO involving Frank, WY3D/2, Dave, W4QCU, Dirk, Ken W2DTC and Dave K2DK/4. I wanted to pull Ken down the band to roll some tape on his new microphone (the RE-27), but while I was there I also asked Dirk whether I was going to see him at Hosstraders.

It would be what I thought was our first meeting in the 30 years I've talked with him on 75m.

This prompted him to recall what he thought was our initial meeting years ago at Dayton, and even what he thought was a road trip involving me and Kevin, WB4AIO. Turns out in the fog Dirk probably was remembering that he met Chip, WB4ZVR on that occasion, not me. But in this exchange I am sure I heard him say he might see me at Hosstraders.

Then again, I was on my way out the door to take Ken down to 3870Kc or thereabouts, so maybe I misheard.

Right about then, John, K1DEU checked in and also indicated he would be there, with a straw hat. I thought I'd seen his picture somewhere -- that I said I would print out as the Wanted Poster, but it was an allegation he vehemently denied (that there was a snapshot of him out there somewhere).

That prompted this search and this pay dirt.
YET another AMer who wears a coat and tie to get on the radio with us.

Now whether that suit works with a straw hat, we will have to wait and see.

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 01:05:16 PM »

Hi All:

I'll be there Friday only.

dan
W1DAN

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 03:30:13 PM »

Where does one setup camp for the evening especially near the AM gang?  This being my first time to overnight there I'm not sure where to land my truck.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 03:46:39 PM »

Bob you want to be up by the Swine Barn.   For real!!

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
W1UJR
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 04:27:30 PM »

Wonder if this guy will be there?

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »

Thanks G, The swine barn it is.  Is there any rhyme or reason to parking for overnight camping?  I'm assuming any open space is free game.  I guess what I'm asking is there's a place for campers and a place for sellers or doesn't it matter.  I never really payed much attention to the way the fairgrounds operators organize things.  I want to park once and not have to move.  Once the beer flows I have no intention of moving the vehicle.

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 06:04:16 PM »

Hey Bob,
That fish market behind the Citco station in your town is great. You locals must be hiding it from the outsiders.
I see the Sunoco station is working its way to $4......again

I'll be in a quieter area so i can crash when I want to and visit the party area.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 06:45:05 PM »

Got some unused (or discounted new) RG-213 ? 

Looking for 1000' of RG-213 coax.  Odd pieces as short as 25' and USED are OK as long as the inside is not contaminated.  It's to be used for baluns and phasing harnesses, so continuous lengths are not necessary. 

I'll be at Hoss looking to buy all the used RG-213 I can find.... Please bring what you have to sell. Grin

(I can't use any other kind, like CATV hardline, 8/U, etc, so please don't offer - tnx anyway)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

I'll be in a quieter area so i can crash when I want to and visit the party area.
Hi Frank,
I think I'm going to hang in the noisy area for sleeping since I'm notorious for snorring.  I'll bet I can knock-off the needles on some of those pine trees.  Hope to see you there and meet you too.  Yep, John's Sea Food is a pretty good place.  My wife loves their stuff.  I can't say the same though.  I suffer from anaphylaxis.  I took a trip to the hospital a month ago thinking their french fries were safe to consume.  Though if you want some really fresh seafood, Nameaugs in New London is a takeout joint. Their claim to fame, they have their own fishing boats and their stuff is fresh as can be.

Anyone know when the gates open?  What's a  good time to arrive there on Friday?  I'm thinking early afternoon for an arrival time.

Bob
W1RKW
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 08:49:11 PM »

MMMMMM THEM'S GOOD EATIN!!

* Hossgrillers.jpg (171.08 KB, 1876x1456 - viewed 574 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
K1KFI
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 11:06:27 PM »

A quick note for those who need to know. 9 AM Friday you can get in...I usually arrive at 9:30 after some of the dust has settled. In past years I have made the mistake of parking near the FM station where Phil Collins songs and all that Classic rock are played to death. I really wish some folks would help those youngins out(oh, no I'm an old buzzard) and get them to actually do radio...live radio without relying on 128meg sampling of songs they didn't grow up with. But that, is another story....

Anyway, there is another hazzard, if you will,  that is the band that usually sets up in the annimal barns near the rest room adjacent to the swine pavillion. If they are there, they play until about One AM....So, If you want some quiet for sleeping and that is a relative term, you are best situated if you set up somewhere between  the exhibit buildings and the AM/Swine area. I know Tron had a dry spot there in the Fall
and I cursed myself for setting up at the edge of the milking display and getting rained on so much that it condensed through the rainfly into the tent. Lessons learned...Just be polite and find yourself a comfortable spot!

The WX still looks good although there may be some showers Thursday night into the early hours of the morning. Anything that moves West to East from the Monadnock region will play onto Hopkinton, it may be a wet morning, but, at this time they are calling for sun and a few clouds with a high around 70 give or take a little...

It does sound about as promising as can be!  We'll have a great time I am sure!

Cliff/ K1KFI
N1ZZN
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 07:23:13 AM »

A quick note for those who need to know. 9 AM Friday you can get in...I usually arrive at 9:30 after some of the dust has settled. In past years I have made the mistake of parking near the FM station where Phil Collins songs and all that Classic rock are played to death. I really wish some folks would help those youngins out(oh, no I'm an old buzzard) and get them to actually do radio...live radio without relying on 128meg sampling of songs they didn't grow up with. But that, is another story....

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I will be there again, as I have been for the last 2-3 years, so be warned. Feel free to stop by and request a song.

Bet you didn't think I'd be on this site. Sorry, but I'd much rather listen to and play classic rock, oldies, etc, than the songs I'm "growing up" with. I can't stand rap, and thats what is popular today with most people my age....
WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 08:39:32 AM »

Hey Mike who is that slob with a drink in his hand sitting in that chair.....

WX looks FB OM rain will track south I bet this is going to be a good one.  fc
WA1GFZ

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »

Hey Tom Vu,
RG214 should also work it is double shielded but the shield is silver plated.
Only thing I have is a spool of that 1/2 inch orange network cable
K1KFI
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 09:52:05 AM »

Jeff,

Sorry to rattle your cage. I do support your efforts but only whish you would add some elements of interest to your potential audience. Open a few mics and put some voices on the air! There are a lot of us around who are not shy and have stories about our hobby and lifestyle to tell.

I think as a group we are happy to see your interest in a hobby that unfortunately is attracting little youth interest. Keep up the good work and spread the word!

Cliff

PS: I'll chat with you at the fest...
kc2ifr
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 09:59:41 AM »

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I will be there again, as I have been for the last 2-3 years, so be warned. Feel free to stop by and request a song.

Bet you didn't think I'd be on this site. Sorry, but I'd much rather listen to and play classic rock, oldies, etc, than the songs I'm "growing up" with. I can't stand rap, and thats what is popular today with most people my age....

Ya know....opnions are like a$$ holes, everybody has one.....
I for one enjoy your music...most of the time........so keep up the good work.
And yes...that rap shi$ sucks big time.

Bill
WA1GFZ

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »

I want to bring the Indian girl who just visited my desk. she is built like a forged piston in a dragster motor.

W1QWT

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2006, 01:43:17 PM »

Hey Jeff, (N1ZZN)
If'in you open a mic can I do some acoustic Dylan songs and maybe a few Irish drinking songs. I know my singing sounds like a tormented cat and I can't play the guitar too well but hey it would be fun, atleast for me.
I will leave for N.H. about 11AM. See ya later.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Regards, Q, W1QWT
N1ZZN
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2006, 02:11:11 PM »

Sorry to rattle your cage. I do support your efforts but only whish you would add some elements of interest to your potential audience. Open a few mics and put some voices on the air! There are a lot of us around who are not shy and have stories about our hobby and lifestyle to tell.

Sounds good to me, lets do it. I have one microphone, and a friend of mine should be bringing a wireless one as well. I was planning on taking more requests this time. The only reason I haven't done enough of that in the past, is really because it's just me doing most of the work. I need time to see everything else going on as well. If we can't get anything good together this time, we can always plan for the future.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2006, 02:19:14 PM »

Hi:

You need to schedule guest jocks so you can visit the flea!

And while you're at it, up the power a bit...I cant hear you in Mass.

I'll visit tomorrow.

Dan
W1DAN
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2006, 03:02:58 PM »

I want to bring the Indian girl who just visited my desk. she is built like a forged piston in a dragster motor.

I'd be happy just seeing the dragster motor.

Bob
W1RKW
WA1GFZ

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2006, 03:21:53 PM »

very patight and perky today.....AC is turned on
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »

Frank,

Man we look almost as good as the steaks in that picture. If the WX is good then we may have some little buddies who want to eat GFZ steak.

* BLACKFLY.jpg (9.1 KB, 277x164 - viewed 537 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2006, 05:23:26 PM »

I am looking for an UGLY SX-100 or Viking II. Cosmetics not at all important but must funtion. I want to mate it up wit my bfugly NC-50 that was in a fire

If anyone has one they want to bring up to Hosschester let me know

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015