The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:29:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zorch-A-Thon gone and back on 75 (tnx to 'UJR radio)  (Read 8916 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: May 01, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »

It was so much easier than I had thought, too! W1UJR came over on Saturday to give me a hand with and insight on some of the problems here at 'KAQ radio, the main one being how to string up the 75m antenna and get it to work. I was sure that having the bare wire rubbing on branches would cause big problems, Bruce assured me otherwise and damned if he wasn't right. I think I've done too much reading in the past few years and taken much of it a bit too literally.

With the antenna strung back up and a quick check with Bruce's handy MFJ analyzer, we were back in business. Next stop was the zorch-a-thon transmitter. I had adjusted a bandswitch wafer in this a few weeks ago since it wasn't fully meshing when switched, but had missed the contactor at top that is switched in for 80-160. It was only making good contact when you switched up from 160, not down from 40. 'UJR spied this fast while observing the zorch process in action. Fixing that caused further zorching in other places, mainly the big HV latching relay below the mod deck.

Long story short: the transmitter just doesn't like being loaded lightly. Doing so causes arcing on voice peaks and an unhappy overload relay. Loading it properly results in the ability to use plenty-o-audio. It also relieves that *twitch* reflex when keying the mic.

I was great to be able to again work Larry, Brent(ina), Jackson Bob, Chris KD2XA and so many others of the old guard on 75m. Of course, now that I'm back on after being RF-silent for so many years, you probably won't be able to shut me up.

Cannot thank Bruce enough for the help. Gasoline isn't cheap, even if you're driving a tiny Audi TT. And no small commute from Woolich Maine to Randolph Vermont. It's certainly a good example of the amateur spirit of years gone by, still alive and well today in the AM community. I hope I can return the favor, to Bruce and others.

An unforseen benefit: No more 'when are you gonna get back on the air??' conversations at hosstraders!  Grin

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w1guh
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »

"I was sure that having the bare wire rubbing on branches would cause big problems, Bruce assured me otherwise and damned if he wasn't right. "

One thing to watch for, though is charring of the brances where they touch.  I've seen that when I ran high power.  I really don't know if there's fire danger or not, presumably it would be minimal, but just the same it'd be good to check it out now and then.
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 12:59:07 PM »

"I was sure that having the bare wire rubbing on branches would cause big problems, Bruce assured me otherwise and damned if he wasn't right. "

One thing to watch for, though is charring of the brances where they touch.  I've seen that when I ran high power.  I really don't know if there's fire danger or not, presumably it would be minimal, but just the same it'd be good to check it out now and then.

Yes, good point, I was concerned about that as well, esp. on voltage points.
So, Saturday night I loaded the KW-1 up to full strap and walked out to check for glowage, fire or flames againist the night sky.
Nothing seen, smelled or witnessed, think we lucked out there.
I suspect, given time, that the branches will take their share of abuse and then crap out.
Its not a forever thing in any case, if it lasts the summer Todd will be happy.

First contact out was with a station in the 2nd call district on my Icom QRP rig running 2 watts of AM!

I enjoyed the trip and the radio fellowship OM, and the chance to operate the big Collins rig!

73 1UJR

W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 07:56:55 PM »

nice meeting you on 75 the other night, Todd. great signal and audio from your end too. welcome back to 75 AM- you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave...
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 10:48:08 PM »

Todd can you put enough fire in the air to get to Oklahoma?  Be sure the antenna will survive winter ice and I will bet we can work.  Last winter I regularly heard stations up that way.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 07:10:05 AM »

Todd made it to MN last night, a bunch of us were in QSO with Skip K7YOO who was running a barefoot Valiant and banging in.

Todd the rig sounds outstanding, very strapping signal into northern MD.  Great to hear you on!

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 09:55:13 AM »

Todd made it to MN last night, a bunch of us were in QSO with Skip K7YOO who was running a barefoot Valiant and banging in.

Yes, I did!! Cheesy Talk about surprised. The band was in excellent shape until late evening (22:30 or after), when static crashes started to pick up. Signed off around 23:00 and listened to Richaroni, Brent, Pete and others tell funny stories until I nodded off.

John, it was great to finally work you. Your station was making a FB trip up to Vermont with nice, clean audio. Would've loved to chew the fat for a bit, but there were a lot of folks in there. Hopefully we'll catch up soon, and thank you for the compliments on the audio. I never did a lot to the rig, so it's nice to hear that it's still working well after being dormant for 15 years.

As far as winter ice Jim, I'm planning to be gone from the house long before that. Hope to have it ready for the market by July, if all goes well. But you never know, it might not sell and I might end up here for another winter. My biggest fear is moving south and having no one to talk with. Hopefully we can make contact before I drop the antenna, though. I'd certainly enjoy talking with you on air after so many email exchanges (still haven't fixed the 32V-2).

Now I did forget to mention a rather amusing incident that took place on Sunday. I had thrown my call out on 3885 in the early afternoon to see if anyone was around. No replies (75 and sunny outside, no wonder), so I spun the dial and heard Irb and another station up on 3890 remarking about my call (I'm guessing they have reeeeeeally wide receivers). Bruce was getting ready to head back to Maine, so I just bagged it for the time being and helped him carry tools and such back to his car. Of course, Bruce couldn't resist keying up one more time on 3885, with the tag line of "KA1KAQ Special Event Station". No response, of course.

Well, I came back in after Bruce left to hear Irb and the other station moving down onto 3885, calling out for the 'special event station'. Special, indeed! I bet they talked about it for 30 minutes or more. They might still be looking, in fact. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 10:20:01 AM »

exchanges (still haven't fixed the 32V-2).

Good story about my friend Irb, God bless Mel Gibson and Irb.  Grin

If you throw that 32V in the back of your Audi/Ford/BMW/Chevy and head up to Maine some weekend we can get that beast back on the air.

Betcha a six pack of Beck's Dark that something is crapped out in the output network, most likely a loading cap in that forsaken spot where Collins choose to locate them.

Take a look at what came out of mine last year ->

73 Bruce W1UJR

* Failed Collins 32V Plate Blocking Cap Small 3.jpg (110.01 KB, 640x480 - viewed 964 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 10:52:09 AM »

A little emery cloth, some paint and its on to Epay .....  after all, its Vintage Collins...

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015