The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:27:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Know You're Getting Old...  (Read 19024 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 09:49:40 PM »

Friday I dragged out the old slide rule to show my daughter who has this hand held thing that makes math way too simple. C and D scales are much smaller these days.
John Holotko

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 01:19:06 AM »

Friday I dragged out the old slide rule to show my daughter who has this hand held thing that makes math way too simple. C and D scales are much smaller these days.

Interesting, I just wrote a short  program in  FORTRAN today. I haven't used FORTRAN in years. I was surprised how much I still remembered. Of course there were several things I had to reference to get it to work right. FORTRAN was developed back in the 1950's by John Backus of IBM. It is still used to this day, particularly for programs involving extensive science and engineering calculations. However, FORTRAN is becoming more and more of a lost art as young programmers use more modern high level langauges like Java, Perl,Python, Ruby, C++, etc. One thing I like about FORTRANis that it's cool to see a program written in CAPITAL LETTERS  with Line Numbers.... and with an occaisional GOTO statement...

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 11:40:16 AM »

Huh

w1guh
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »

...when you remember eating at real restaurants with real food and local flavor while driving cross-country.

Last time I drove any distance at all it became a real luxury dining experience to get lucky enough to find a Denny's.   Undecided

BTW...speaking of that, did anyone here eat at the Glass House Restaurant on the Will Rogers turnpike in OK?  Was it good?

FYI, it's now what they claim to be the World's Largest McDonald's.

(Will Rogers must be turning over in his grave.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015