The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:32:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate Radio Interferes with Miami Pilots  (Read 8554 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: March 20, 2006, 04:41:41 AM »

Broadcasts continue despite equipment seizures

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/03/19/pirate.radio.ap/index.html

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
w1guh
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »

A quote from the article:

"The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is helping with the investigation under a state law that went into effect a year ago. The law makes it a felony to interfere with signals from licensed public or commercial stations, or to broadcast without a license."

Hmmmm...wonder what the FCC has to say about a state regulating radio emissions.

KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »

That Florida state law is from their Department of Redundency Department....The Feds have already got that covered.
wb1aij
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:00:47 PM »

Hmmmmm, interferring with legal, ongoing communications.... Sounds like our buddy k1boy is still at it.
John Holotko

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:41:15 PM »

The fool doing this is a jammer not a pirate. He or she is also giving all radio pirates a bad name.  God forbid if he causes an accident.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
John Holotko

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 03:01:36 PM »

Hmmmm...wonder what the FCC has to say about a state regulating radio emissions.

Actually, the FCC doesn't mind at all. Former FCC Chairman Michael Powell stated publicly that he welcomed the law in Florida. Prior to the passage of the anti-pirate radio law in Florida, attempts to shut down all the pirate stations were like attempts to empty the ocean with a teaspoon. These illegal stations were especially concentrated in Broward and Dade Counties. The Florida Association of Broadcasters lobbied long and hard in Tallahassee to have these stations shut down, as they felt that the FCC wasn't acting fast enough to do so.

A precedent for state and even local regulation of radio communications was set when the CB bill, sponsored by Sen. Russell Feingold (D-WI), was passed and signed into law a few years ago. State and local jurisdictions can prosecute CB'ers who are operating on unauthorized frequencies or with excessive power, especially if they cause TVI or RFI. Amateur radio was exempted from this bill, but how many state troopers and local cops know the difference between a ham and a CB'er?

I was very much against the enactment of this law back when it was proposed.  But since it has been enacted is there any information regarding how local law enforcement authorities have coped with it's enforcement ?? Have they set up local agencies trained to properly take measurement, track signals, and measure power levels, frequency etc. ?? And what criteria do they use ?? FCC rules ?? Local rules ?? Are they properly trained to discriminate between exempt hams and cb'ers ? Have they been able to prosecute any CB'ers since they were given the power to do so ?? How did the prosecutions go ?? I remember mentioning to a cop friend of mine that under the new law he might be allowed to enforce CB radio rules and go after illegal CB'ers with extra channels and linear amplifiers. He laughed sarcastically and said nothing more. He didn't seem too impressed or enthusiastic about the concept of having enforcement power over CB radio operators.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 03:12:38 PM »

A precedent for state and even local regulation of radio communications was set when the CB bill, sponsored by Sen. Russell Feingold (D-WI), was passed and signed into law a few years ago.

I was very much against the enactment of this law back when it was proposed.

Smart move: it's a Feingold bill, after all!  Roll Eyes

Yeah, okay, I'll stop...

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese
John Holotko

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 03:39:16 PM »

A precedent for state and even local regulation of radio communications was set when the CB bill, sponsored by Sen. Russell Feingold (D-WI), was passed and signed into law a few years ago.

I was very much against the enactment of this law back when it was proposed.

Smart move: it's a Feingold bill, after all!  Roll Eyes

Yeah, okay, I'll stop...

--Thom
Kraft Advertisement One Zesty Grated Cheese

Grin Grin
I like those call sign phoenetics. Kraft Inc. might like for you to use them over the air... Free advertising Smiley

KL7OF

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 09:57:44 PM »

When I flew out of Merrill Field in Anchorage AK in the late 70's, I used to hear country western music on the tower freq when on the downwind leg for the East runway. It was a spur from a local station.. It went on for the two years I flew in and out of there..All the pilots bitched about it and it was reported to the tower by every new pilot to the area..No accidents or incidents that I am aware of.. It did cause a lot of repeats and confusion..  At that time there was an FCC office down town...I have heard that in recent years it is still occaisionally a problem...Merrill Field is a General Aviation airport ..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015