The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:05:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Coast to Coast Last Night!  (Read 10760 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: March 18, 2006, 09:19:12 AM »

I just thought I would post this for all of you wimpy operators who havent been on the air lately due to the crappy band conditions lately. You just dont know what to expect on the magic 75m fone band. Conditions were most excellent last nite with both long and short skip.

I was in a small roundtable with W4AUV, KC2JXX, N3JUH, and KB1NFS around midnite when things got very interesting! AUV, JUH, and JXX all signed out and W2NBC and K2DK came in, and then it got interesting. DAVE W6PSS broke in with a +20 beautiful armchair copy signal! We all had took turns working Dave with what was probably the best copy that I have ever heard from him. He was hearing all of us as well as I was hearing him.

Next Deano, WA1KNX/7 joined in with an absolutely STRAPPING signal. Deano was the channelmaster. I signed out and Bob W2ZM took my place and It was still going strong when I checked out around 2:30.

It was the good friday nite radio fix that I needed!  But................ Where was the rest of the late nite tall ships??  It just goes to prove that you dont know what to expect unless you fire up and give it a try! Sometimes you are rewarded with nice pleasent surprises! It just goes to prove that coast to coast AM is still alive, you just have to go out and look for it.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Fred k2dx

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 12:29:50 PM »

Frank,

I was about to join in when a I got a phone call that I had been waiting for.....but let me add some across the pond contacts (cross mode AM/SSB) I made this past week, in the 75 meter DX window:

s/r
EA8TH    59/59
EI6S       59/59
G4PEL     58/46
GM3MOV  59/58
OK3BJJ    59/58

All worked with one or two calls with a T368 / RF590 and a discone antenna. Some qso's well past their sunrise,
as late as 0330 EST. 
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:36:16 PM »

FRED THAT IS TOTALLY IMPROPER FOR YOU TO USE AN UNACCEPTED MODE IN THE DX WINDOW.
SHAME ! SHAME ON YOU.

(I've worked about ten countries down there this winter, good for you OM !!!)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »

I'll light up La Bamba tonight...If these pesky evening t-storms move on.
I was just outside and could hear my 75M array snapping and popping
across the insulators.
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:26:44 PM »

Bill... I'll look fo you tonight on 75.... I will also be on 1945 around 8-9 pm west coast time..Steve
Fred k2dx

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:56:55 PM »

YU1XA on 3800 begging for contacts, right now (European contest?) very easy to wrk .

Also tonight S56P. CN2R.  Easy.

KR4WI
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:52:55 PM »

Mr. Slab Bacon:     You guys was very loud down hr in the coal fields of Ky. I listen to youns woking the west coast, Dale needs to put some wd 40 on his chair, I could hear it squeeking. hi . Matthew KR4WI
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 02:42:21 AM »

Matt,
        You should have joined in! The more the merrier. As loud as he was I'm sure he would have heard you.
                                                      The Slab Bacon

k3zrf

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 07:56:28 AM »

I'm sure you guys were not on 3825.....would'nt have gotten a word in edgewise Cool

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »

Wow, Leon Redbone......LIVE AT TIMONIUM!!!!
I heard he has the ability to double while he sings Shocked
k3zrf

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »

That's right.....back stage pass for you Jay ifin's ya show Grin

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 10:06:10 AM »

And Wed. AMI night was awesome as well. Sigs were very strong, band was quiet. For the California AMI net, there were check ins from as far away as 0's as well as one from New Brunswick with 100W!!!! Cool.

I'll try to get on tonight as well as it is boys night here on the farm.

CU on 75 or 160.

Paul
VE7KHz

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 10:34:08 AM »

Hey, Jay,
             You comin down, or are you gonna wuss out again???

The Slab Bacon

N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 11:33:46 AM »

The WUSS monicher must live on....I will try to get on the air for the WUSS chant...in harmony of course Grin
Little League baseball causes the Timonium/ Slab Bacon/ Leon Redbone review to take a back seat Embarrassed
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 11:41:16 AM »

WUSS, WUSS, WUSS, WUSS!!

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 11:48:36 AM »

The WUSS monicher must live on....I will try to get on the air for the WUSS chant...in harmony of course Grin
Little League baseball causes the Timonium/ Slab Bacon/ Leon Redbone review to take a back seat Embarrassed

Jay,
     When are you gonna finally make it down to Frank's party? Not that we don't talk about you or call you wuss or anything, and not that we all don't have a terrific time, eat lots of good food and enjoy the commaraderie, discuss just about anything and everything. not that Frank won't "light off" his collection of kewl hit or miss engines, and not to mention all of the young single and available women groupies that hang out looking for REAL MEN who know how to modulate a carrier, etc etc etc etc etc!

Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:30:47 PM »

Well, where was everyone? Yes I know, solar flare. I walked out of the house to go to the shop at 8:30pm and there right in front of me were the northern lights. Sat on the step for a few minutes and watched them. Beautiful!!  Went to the shop. Called CQ on 160M for 20 minutes...gave up. Went ot 75M called...gave up. Bands seemed dead. 

Same in your part of the world?

Maybe later this week.

Cheers
Paul
VE7KHz

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015