The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For A D-Day Trip  (Read 5771 times)
AB3L
Contributing

« on: February 22, 2006, 09:16:11 PM »

I've posted this on the two Boatanchors lists also.

I have a very interested 11 year old historian in the house and had pondered the idea of seeing Normandy on D-Day. I have heard that there are still some Vets that travel there on this day and thought it would be great to have him be able to talk to them directly.

Sooo if anybody might now of a charter of some kind I would be interested. I have looked for tickets but so far I can't afford the $2K roundie that I see available. This has to happen on the reasonably cheap level.

I might be too late for this year but I had to at least try and if nothing else will be a little more ready for next year.

If you want to go direct to me AB3L@aol.com

Thanks,

Bob
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 06:57:58 AM »

All I can suggest is watching for specials on flights. However in the meantime you might check this out.

http://forums.military.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/828197221

It's at least an opportunity to talk directly with WW2 vets.

My dad and seven of my uncles served during that war, unfortunately they have all passed on.

73, Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 07:08:13 AM »

Seems to me I remember seeing on the web a travel group that specializes in WWI and WWII battlefield tours. You may wish to do a search on the sites devoted to coverage of those two wars and I'm sure you'll run across the links for these organizations. One of these days the wife and I would love to tour the battlefields from both wars (she's quite a historian herself). Good luck, and let us know how you progress!
Ed Nesselroad
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:01:03 AM »

Unfortunately, the June 6 timeframe coincides with peak season in Europe.  Nonetheless, there ought to be less pricey flights available. 

A Google search for D-Day tours will turn-up plenty of leads for guided experiences, many from England.

Based on my own experience, you and your 11 year-old will find no shortage of interesting and compelling people, places and stories, even without a tour.  Just walking toward the bluff at the American Cemetary at Colville-sur-Mer and overlooking Omaha beach gives you a better understanding of the day's magnitude than any account can convey.  Pointe du Hoc, Sainte Mere Eglise, Bayeux (catch the tapestry as long as you're in town), Caen, other beaches, and other cemetaries offer their own bits of the story.  Plan on several days to explore and soak in all the region has to offer. 

While there are many credible texts on D-Day, John Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy is a complete account, representing all sides, that won't intimidate an budding historian of 11 years. 

If I can help at all, shoot me a direct e-mail at pentoad@aol.com.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »

Hi:

One cheep option is the D-Day Museum in new Orleans.

Dan
W1DAN
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 07:22:58 AM »

Unfortunately, the June 6 timeframe coincides with peak season in Europe. 

Just walking toward the bluff at the American Cemetary at Colville-sur-Mer and overlooking Omaha beach gives you a better understanding of the day's magnitude than any account can convey. 
While there are many credible texts on D-Day, John Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy is a complete account, representing all sides, that won't intimidate an budding historian of 11 years. 

Ah yes, I am finding out about the peak season in Europe.....I might be on track for next year instead...eeeech.

And ah, yes, being able to gaze out over the shore line from that cliff would be chilling. "Saving Private Ryan"  finally brought the realism to the ones that were lucky enough to not be there. The barrage that they faced as the carrier doors dropped.
Patrick has watched this movie at least 10 times and to think of getting him to that spot would put the icing on the cake.
We will look into that book as well.

Thanks all for the input. RJR, I hope all is good for you there if your avitar still describes your situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015