The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:27:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APACHE Filter @ 6kHz Mod...  (Read 5745 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: January 23, 2006, 02:14:48 PM »

Messing about with the filter section in the Apache, with the 6AL5 clipper tube removed, you normally get an "eliptical" filter @>10kHz. That filter (see the previous thread) has an ultimate bandstop of about 18+dB. The advantage of the "eliptical filter" is that you get a really fast slope (drop) above the corner frequency of the filter, as opposed to the more gradual drop of the "butterworth" or "bessel" filter. The "eliptical filter" is formed by making the inductor (in this case) resonate like a notch filter via the use of a shunt capacitor. Otherwise it is a normal 3rd order (three pole) filter, which is nominally an 18db/octave slope.

The downside of the "eliptical filter" is that the ultimate bandstop is not as great as the standard filter. You get the benefit of a fast rolloff near the corner frequency at the expense of higher frequency rolloff. In this application, not a real problem since the ultimate rolloff can be either handled in other stages, or by the inherent roll-off of the xfrmrs in the path, or it can simply be ignored...

What I did is to modify the values in the filter to move the corner frequency to a nominal ~6kHz. and to also improve the bandstop attenuation considerably[/u] (see the graph, compare to the graph of the stock filter values). The values are somewhat critical, since the circuit relies upon "Q" to work, and I'd suggest that testing them in the rig with a frequency generator (you computer can do that job...) and some way to monitor the output (again freeware on your computer will do a fantastic job) and then tweaking the values, as needed to obtain the desired response is best.

The modeled circuit is with R38 on ground not lifted on the cathode resistor R35, which is a self  bias resistor. The effect of this bias voltage under audio conditions upon the filter is likely to be minimal, but a bypass electrolytic would solve that problem - and without the 6AL5 one does not need a string of resistors there anyhow to bias just one tube...

Anyhow here are the new values:

L31 - 1.5H 

(if you select about 1.0H and you get the corner freq around > 8kHz maybe 10kHz. - but this seems to high to me, if you are going to bandwidth limit inside the rig at all)
Rx - place a 2 meg resistor across C57 (same as across L31) - this adjusts the Q just a tad for the better. Can be left out, but don't lower it below 1 meg no matter what.
R39 - unchanged  (do not change)
R38 - unchanged  (do not change)
C57 - 100pf
C58 - 700pf
C59 - 500pf
C60 - 0.02 to  0.03ufd

(C60) controls the LF rolloff. the above values show a slight rolloff below 40 Hz. The 0.03ufd cap is shown in the graph response.) Which seems about right to me. It is best not to drive your mod iron with LF energy that does little or nothing for the output, as it will decrease the headroom by sucking up power for not much. Plus you can always EQ it back in, if you are using an external processing chain, etc.

Where to find a new L31?? Almost any small power xfmr - just test the inductance of the primary and/or secondary, in whole or in partial winding to find the value you need. It's not a critical "audio" component, except to the extent that you need a value pretty close the described value to make the filter work at the right frequency. Since it's purpose is to roll off highs, a little power xfrmr will work fine here. It can be really very tiny, since there's nil power going through the thing. (I haven't seen the one that is in the stock unit...)

My last thought is that one might want to make this switchable. I'd throw in a small relay which could be used to either bypass the filter section (use a resistor in place of L31 that will give you a level drop equal to the insertion loss of the filter, which the model says is 6dB. btw), another option and/or a more gentle option is to use a relay to open C57 - but you'll have to test the relay to see what it's self capacitance is in the open position. I'm sure that ur standard toggle switch has way way too much capacitance for this application. Also check the self capacitance to ground!! (if either's more than a few pf, then bypass is the only option.

Another way to go is to make L31 into two inductors and switch one in/out to change the corner frequency... that's a nice way to go!  Wink

All this is untested as of this post, although I hope to try some of this in the not too distant future... your comments and results if you try it will be appreciated.  Cheesy

_-_-WBear2GCR

PS. I've worked out the 1.0H values which gets you a filter right @10kHz., with the improved stopband attenuation,  if anyone wants them I will post 'em!  Grin

* APACHE-FILTER-6Khz.jpg (121.24 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 538 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:59:02 PM »

I'd be interested in seeing some time domain data. I ran this data on similar filter years ago and it was terrible.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 02:40:25 PM »

No doubt!

You only have to look at the phase curve to see that it is not going to look like a buttworth or bessel!

But, will that be audible on AM phone? Probably not?

Anyhow, it's not a bad thing to have as a switch in option, it would seem...

Any comments?

_-_-WBear2GCR

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 10:45:10 AM »

I agree, in general, it won't be audible. Where is comes into play is when processing is used in front of it. As the incoming waveforms have more sharp rise times, the filter's overshoot will cause overmodulation or require the op to reduce the audio level, thus negating the effectiveness of the processing. The worst case scenario was the original Apache design, where a clipper preceded the filter. Nothing like putting square waves into a filter with massive overshoot!
WBear2GCR

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:58:31 PM »

Steve,

Not sure where the "more sharp rise times" are gonna come from?

The source being the human voice, and the limiting factors being the voice, the mic element, and any rolloffs that preceede the filter stage. If you were gonna hit the eleptical filter with some square waves, I could see where there might be an issue to worry about, but I'm unclear where voice, even processed voice is going to be a problem...

And, if ur really worried about it, one could convert it to a 4th or 5th order butterworth or bessel by adding a second inductor and skipping the 'resonating' cap across the inductor(s)... of course you don't get that phenomenal bandstop characteristic then, but likely better than running the stock unit out to infinity...

_-_-WBear2GCR

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »

The more audio is processed, the more it will resemble a square wave - clipping being the extreme case. You are correct, the rise times will not get shorter. It's really about the peaks. If they are limited ahead of the filter, and the filter has a nasty impulse response, the overshoot will negate the effectiveness of the limiting. Many broadcast processors have filters designed specifically to avoid this. Some even have active compensation circuitry to reduce these effects in the modulation stage of the transmitter than follows (e.g. a mod tranny is a low pass filter, and some induce significant overshoot).
WBear2GCR

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 02:31:39 PM »

Steve,

Interesting...

It seems to me that ur most likely to run into a problem with overshoot on this filter if there is NFB applied around the filter. Without NFB applied, the only overshoot will be whatever the characteristic of the filter works out to be - in this case the peaking at the HF knee is rather mild. So, I'd expect that there wouldn't be much effect from soft knee limiter'd audio, as there will not be any "sharp" edges" with significant HF content to "excite" a resonance... plus the interstage transformer is in effect a LP filter (HLR says it rolls @ ~15kHz... iirc) and the mod iron probably rolls some too...

The phase shift in the filter would worry me a bit with respect to NFB being applied around it too - stability.

On the other hand, IF you use a hard clipper for limiting, well, forget about it - I just wouldn't do that no matter what, since that is likely to introduce those nasty "sharp edges"... so I am assuming the 6AL5 diode clipper is removed for the purposes of this discussion. It sure as heck isn't gonna be in any rig that I'm gonna run...  Grin

_-_-WBear2GCR

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »

Right on!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015