The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water resistors and other Loads  (Read 3561 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: January 22, 2006, 10:10:45 PM »

Back when I was a young JN, the schol put me in the industrial electricity lab to keep me out of trouble. While doing some experiments, we would use a water resistor for some of our load.  We was workin with DC rotary equiptment--  150VDC, 80A per unit. manual starters. adjustable ckt breakers... lots of laughs setting up the pretty Cu arc. Now that I have to PAY for my own toys, does anyone have any suggestions for testing HV power supplies.. I don't want to fire up my ART-13 withought testing the  B+ on something else... I dont want to series lamps if I dont gotta... Anyone got any comments/ideas?Huh      klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:09:46 AM »

Put the supply on a variac and fuse and go for it.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »

Sorry, I gotta ask. What is a "water resistor" exactly?? Roll Eyes

Pure water happens to be an insulator. Add salt (etc.) and it becomes a weak conductor...

I'd been eyeing that title for three days now, finally I had to look, and ask! Grin

_-_-bear

But, yeah a variac, ammeter and voltmeter on the B+ is a good way to go - of course, if you have rectifier tubes, you'll perhaps want to make a provision to feed the primary of the B+ xfrmr from the variac, or else temporarily replace the rectifier tubes with solid state diodes...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 01:54:20 PM »

Thanks guys.....
      I guess i'll go with the variac and fuse route....I have some nice oil cans (23uF@4KV) and some 10uF@2KV. I wanted to try various configurations to get around 1.2KV for my project.  i guess i'll go the trial by fire routine..  I like to bake things before I set them into metal.
      I cant let the pure water thing go... Yes pure, non ionized water is an insulator. But, water is  amphiprotic- that is, water molecules  transfer protons between each other, which is results in H30+ and OH- ......  Which is a really, really really small  small shift to the left on the pH scale.....  Add some Beer and a discussion of acid rain and a Monty Pythin abuse/argument session devolves... Good for parties.... anyway,
       Water resistor.... I should have kept my mouth shut...... Picture a industrial mop bucket on weels made up of very thick bucket walls. Then picture a chain with a window weight looking electrode attached.  The bucket wall is ground and the window weight is attached via a conductor to the devices B+.  The water is distlled water with a chemical to act as an electrolyte. The chain part is attached to a 'crank' wich raises/lowers the electrode into the fluid, thereby varying the resistance..The electrolyte is generally a salt; maybee copper sulfate ( will not have much reaction with a copper conductor).  Gud for large loads...  The other types are used for High Voltage..... Tesla at Colorado type high voltages. they use long tubes filled with electrolyte....     

What? Me worry?
NE4AM

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »

Hoo boy.  I had some experience with this years ago, testing a 12 KV, 100 KW shortwave modulator. (COMMERCIAL GEAR, NOT FOR HAM USE!)  Lessons learned:
#1.  All hardware in the water must be stainless steel, or else electrolysis will make short work of it!
#2.  Huge amounts of H2 and O2 _will_ be liberated.  You have the potential for a nasty explosion unless the H2 is dealt with properly!

Be careful, OM!

73 - Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015